No announcement yet.

LCVg's Serialized Saves Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well, on the plus side, I did manage to get the update. Very prompt!
    Unfortunately, I still appear to be getting crashes related to deleting all save objects with an !IsRooted error.
    Here's my current setup:

I set the save game variables on Begin Play of the parent GameMode class. With my debug print, I can see this executes properly.
    https://s1.postimg.org/8mzphmbd7z/LC8.jpg

Now, with a very similar setup as before, I load the game - but now supply a save game, instead of a save slot name. The message is sent via Blueprint Interface to the GameMode.
    https://s1.postimg.org/40e2gxoly7/LC9.jpg

Then the game mode simply loads the game from that save file, using the new method.
    https://s1.postimg.org/6ztworudhr/LC10.jpg

I'm a bit questioning of wither my problem is related to 4.17 at all. Originally, I had my game running on 4.15.2, and only recently updated because I thought my save / load problem, might be related to something being out of date.
    Could there be anything with my setup that's screwing up the save load?

Comment

Originally posted by Chaosian View Post
      Well, on the plus side, I did manage to get the update. Very prompt!
      Unfortunately, I still appear to be getting crashes related to deleting all save objects with an !IsRooted error.
      Here's my current setup:

I set the save game variables on Begin Play of the parent GameMode class. With my debug print, I can see this executes properly.
      https://s1.postimg.org/8mzphmbd7z/LC8.jpg

Now, with a very similar setup as before, I load the game - but now supply a save game, instead of a save slot name. The message is sent via Blueprint Interface to the GameMode.
      https://s1.postimg.org/40e2gxoly7/LC9.jpg

Then the game mode simply loads the game from that save file, using the new method.
      https://s1.postimg.org/6ztworudhr/LC10.jpg

I'm a bit questioning of wither my problem is related to 4.17 at all. Originally, I had my game running on 4.15.2, and only recently updated because I thought my save / load problem, might be related to something being out of date.
      Could there be anything with my setup that's screwing up the save load?
      I'll try to reproduce the issue to find a solution for it. But at first sight the reason for the crash is that you are creating the saveobjects and loading the game in the same frame if your main menu mode is set to ignore it. In 4.17 and later you have to avoid this, thats the main reason for deprecating the function. In short dont create the object on begin play and load in begin play.

In the next update this should be solved completly.

Comment

Alright, I think I managed to find out what my problem was, definitely something up with my setup. I played around with when I do get for the save game, being very careful now so that it only happens at the start of the main menu. Another part of it was that my game was paused when I saved, and wouldn't be unpaused when I loaded, so I guess the code for loading in actors never executed. Lesson learned.

Strange thing now is that I'm getting a different crash. If I start a new game, save, and then load or start a new game, save, go to the main menu, and then load - the game will crash.
        However, if I start a new game, save, then quit and start a new session, then load (either from a new game, or a new level), the game loads perfectly fine. Very odd.

Here's the full code for the crash, if you would like to see:

Spoiler

Comment

Originally posted by Chaosian View Post
          Alright, I think I managed to find out what my problem was, definitely something up with my setup. I played around with when I do get for the save game, being very careful now so that it only happens at the start of the main menu. Another part of it was that my game was paused when I saved, and wouldn't be unpaused when I loaded, so I guess the code for loading in actors never executed. Lesson learned.

Strange thing now is that I'm getting a different crash. If I start a new game, save, and then load or start a new game, save, go to the main menu, and then load - the game will crash.
          However, if I start a new game, save, then quit and start a new session, then load (either from a new game, or a new level), the game loads perfectly fine. Very odd.

Here's the full code for the crash, if you would like to see:

Spoiler
          Thanks for the report. I will work on a fix to this during this and next week so we can forget about the crashes. Thanks a lot for your help.

Comment

Glad to help, it's certainly in both our best interest to get these problems solved.
            Just re-reading what I wrote at 1:30AM last night, and the reproduction instructions are quite confusing, haha. Here's it more clearly.

To crash in my game:

Spoiler

To avoid this crash:

Spoiler

Comment

I appreciate the work you've done on this and pushing it to osx, but it feels very unfinished and information is very fragmented across versions between the forums, the wiki / github with no authoritative source. I've been attempting to work this into a project with some basic saving, and i've run into a surprising amount of crashes.

Some advice for making this easier to follow:
              Your github content example loads with a load of compilation errors where the save game object seemingly doesn't exist.
              When adding nodes, there is reference to LC Save Game and Lost Cause Save game. I suggest choosing one or the other as a ref to all your nodes - it makes it easier to find them.

I've attached screenshots of the issue i'm having. I have the save game node initiated, and the persistence interfaces on a few actors, and the save game checkbox marked but despite saving, i'm unable to get any indication that the save was successful - where each time the save array is length = 0.
              Attached Files
              Last edited by Skifree; 10-23-2017, 12:09 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Skifree View Post
                I appreciate the work you've done on this and pushing it to osx, but it feels very unfinished and information is very fragmented across versions between the forums, the wiki / github with no authoritative source. I've been attempting to work this into a project with some basic saving, and i've run into a surprising amount of crashes.

Some advice for making this easier to follow:
                Your github content example loads with a load of compilation errors where the save game object seemingly doesn't exist.
                When adding nodes, there is reference to LC Save Game and Lost Cause Save game. I suggest choosing one or the other as a ref to all your nodes - it makes it easier to find them.

I've attached screenshots of the issue i'm having. I have the save game node initiated, and the persistence interfaces on a few actors, and the save game checkbox marked but despite saving, i'm unable to get any indication that the save was successful - where each time the save array is length = 0.
                Thank you for your feedback. I'm working on the issues for an upcoming release. The information fragmentation you perceive is due to the engine version 4.17 that is causing a lot of problems with the system (previous versions of the engine work as advertised, no more, no less). As stated in previous posts I am working on a solution that works on every version and allows me to reunify criteria across all of them, hence the example project is outdated. Thank you for your patience and your feedback.

Comment

[Update 1.4.5] A new Update has been submited to the marketplace and its now under revision

- Adds support to Unreal Engine 4.18
                  - fixes a miriad of crashes related to loading
                  - reunifies the loading methods across all the latest engine versions (4.16,4.17 and 4.18).
                  - All the loading functions have been replaced by 2 new functions recoded from scratch (see image below)

Click image for larger version

Name:	Node145.png
Views:	10
Size:	53.2 KB
ID:	1378854

As I am moving to Italy during the next couple of weeks I will not be able to work on new features. But in the next couple of months I hope I will be able to introduce some new and some promissed features like:
                  - Auto Saving
                  - Loading and saving custom widgets automatically appearing.
                  among other cool stuff.

Thanks a lot for your continued support and patience.

Comment

Very cool, looking forward to the update.
                    Thanks for sticking with it!

Comment

[NEWS] Just wanted to let you guys know that I finally found the space to resume my work on this plugin. In the next couple of weeks I will start rolling out new updates for it with new cool features and improvements (focusing primarily on bringing support for Editor Created Structures, which is the most requested feature).

Comment

Will this be updated for 4.19?

Comment

Originally posted by dewdle View Post
                          Will this be updated for 4.19?
                          Hello. Yes, it will be updated to 4.19. I had been terribly bussy during the past months, but ill be working on updating the plugin very soon.

Comment

Working...
                          X