No announcement yet.

Mixamo Animation Retargeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

and the new mixamo character is the new .fbx format..... do you know of any tutorial to be able to use the ue4 skeleton with a new mixamo character because thats what i need...

Comment

Originally posted by RexVex86 View Post
      no it doesnt work with the old animations (since they have root bone - they are the old mixamo ue4 .fbx format not the new standard .fbx)
      If they changed the skeleton, I think the only solution is to manually retarget the old skeleton to the new one. If they didn't changed the bones hierarchy it should be a simple task (the linked documentation has several how-tos).

Originally posted by RexVex86 View Post
      and the new mixamo character is the new .fbx format..... do you know of any tutorial to be able to use the ue4 skeleton with a new mixamo character because thats what i need...
      Well... with our plugin! If you want to make your new Mixamo character compatible with the standard UE4 skeleton, you can use our plugin. It's just a click on the Mixamo skeleton, then you'll be able to retarget their animations. Check the video at the beginning of this thread to better understand what the plugin does: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OSaYNLdrYck .
      Mixamo Animation Retargeting - Stereo Panoramic Player

Comment

Hi everyone!

Finally we have a release date: ...... tomorrow! On May 25th the plugin will officially land in the Epic Marketplace.

If someone will spot it, please drop a line so that we could update the official links.

Comment

Great! I will be picking this up on the marketplace tomorrow.

Comment

Hi! While waiting for the official release in the next hours, we made available to the Gumroad marketplace the pre-built binaries for UE4.16.

Comment

Or for perfect animation retargeting for Mixamo animations, you can export the UE4 mannequin to the Mixamo website, and download it in the Mixamo T-Pose, import it to UE4, and set that as the base pose for retargeting. This way not only will all the animations work with the UE4 skeleton to begin with, but you could use this 5 minute process to universally set all humanoid skeletons to have the Mixamo t-pose as the base animation retargeting pose. No tweaking necessary.

Comment

Originally posted by GageCornelius View Post
                Or for perfect animation retargeting for Mixamo animations, you can export the UE4 mannequin to the Mixamo website, and download it in the Mixamo T-Pose, import it to UE4, and set that as the base pose for retargeting. This way not only will all the animations work with the UE4 skeleton to begin with, but you could use this 5 minute process to universally set all humanoid skeletons to have the Mixamo t-pose as the base animation retargeting pose. No tweaking necessary.
                Hi,

sure: if you don't need to share existing UE4 animations, you can simply work on a Mixamo-only pipeline. But this is not animation retargeting (as intended by UE4), you are working on different assets. This plugin instead helps when you need animation retargeting as intended by UE4: if you need to re-use existing Mixamo animations on an existing UE4 skeleton or if you need to re-use existing UE4 animations on an existing Mixamo skeleton. Simply that

Comment

Originally posted by UNAmedia View Post
                  Hi,

sure: if you don't need to share existing UE4 animations, you can simply work on a Mixamo-only pipeline. But this is not animation retargeting (as intended by UE4), you are working on different assets. This plugin instead helps when you need animation retargeting as intended by UE4: if you need to re-use existing Mixamo animations on an existing UE4 skeleton or if you need to re-use existing UE4 animations on an existing Mixamo skeleton. Simply that
                  The method I described will work on anything. I can upload: UE4 mannequin (pre 4.8 as well as the current one), a fuse model, a makehuman model, the character models from couch nights, and a couple of mixamo characters that do not have the UE4 skeleton, and upload them all to Mixamo. Then I download them with Mixamo's t-pose. I import the t-pose animation for the models into UE4 and assign them to the skeleton in the project (if they are already in them). Set their base retarget pose as the Mixamo t-pose. Once they all have the exact same pose, I can use any UE4 animation, or any couch night animation on any of the other characters. Because now they all have the exact same base retargeting pose.

Comment

Hi everyone,

finally it's official: the plugin is now available in the Marketplace! Here the URL: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...on-retargeting
                    Last edited by UNAmedia; 05-25-2017, 01:16 PM.

Comment

Oh man! Sending money your way today! Thank you!

Comment

Hi, just purchased from the Epic store - I've tried following your tut vid but the "Retarget Mixamo Skeleton Asset" is grayed out. It is available for the mixamo animation packs but for none of my own imported characters.
                        Last edited by RichardB; 05-25-2017, 06:18 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
                          Hi, just purchased from the Epic store - I've tried following your tut vid but the "Retarget Mixamo Skeleton Asset" is grayed out. It is available for the mixamo animation packs but for none of my own imported characters.
                          Hi! The "Retarget Mixamo Skeleton Asset" action is active for skeletons assets that are compatible with the common Mixamo rig. Technically we check the bones names and we enable the option only if we found at least X% of the expected bones. Could you please share a screenshot of the bones hierarchy of your problematic skeleton? (PM me if you prefer).

Comment

I found what the problem is - I have downloaded all my characters from mixamo without animations - I just tried downloading one with animations and it worked. Are you able to get your plugin working for characters without animations? Otherwise I have to download about 50 characters again before they shut their downloads page down...

Comment

Originally posted by RichardB View Post
                              I found what the problem is - I have downloaded all my characters from mixamo without animations - I just tried downloading one with animations and it worked. Are you able to get your plugin working for characters without animations? Otherwise I have to download about 50 characters again before they shut their downloads page down...
                              I'm glad you found a solution!

As the plugin grays-out the action only when the skeleton don't has the expected bone hierarchy (animations are not considered for this), I suspect there is a "problem" with your characters (maybe they were using an old skeleton from Mixamo?). Can you try to re-download an up-to-date character from Mixamo (without animation) and check again? If the problem persists, please share the screenshot of the character's bone hierarchy so that we can investigate.

Comment

Ok, tried with their stock "Pearl" character - it enabled the "Retarget to Mixamo Skeleton" which I then did - but when retargeting animations still not getting the correct results...Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture2.JPG
Views:	1
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	1128568Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.JPG
Size:	113.8 KB
ID:	1128569Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture4.JPG
Size:	64.3 KB
ID:	1128570