Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixamo Animation Retargeting

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    I still can't get it to work. I downloaded a mixamo character and tried to retarget it following the tutorial, but it will not work. I'm at a loss, can someone help?

    Comment


      Originally posted by Red Panda Studio View Post
      I still can't get it to work. I downloaded a mixamo character and tried to retarget it following the tutorial, but it will not work. I'm at a loss, can someone help?
      You should provide more information about your issue. Please share the FBX you downloaded from Mixamo so that we can try to replicate your issue. Or record a video of what you're doing so that we can look at it.
      UE4 Plugins: [Mixamo Animation Retargeting] - [Stereo Panoramic Player] - [Cardboard VR] - [MultiWorld]

      Comment


        I have sent you an email since the forum doesn't allow sending FBX files. Thanks for your patience and your help.

        Comment


          Hi everyone! The update for UE4.25 has been submitted to Epic, it should be available in few days.
          UE4 Plugins: [Mixamo Animation Retargeting] - [Stereo Panoramic Player] - [Cardboard VR] - [MultiWorld]

          Comment


            Hey there, I'm running into an issue when retargeting animations. It looks like pelvis/Hip movement is not preserved. It makes the retargeted animation look unnatural.

            Steps to recreate:
            1. Make sure custom character has Humanoid rig selected.
            2. Download running animation with Mixamo character.
            3. Import to UE4 and ensure Mixamo Animation + Mixamo Skeleton working.
            4. Use Mixamo Animation Retargeting plugin to convert Mixamo Skeleton.
            5. Retarget running animation to other character.
            Here's what the animation looks like on the Mixamo character. Notice the bounce. Looks very natural.

            Click image for larger version

Name:	Mixamo_Run.gif
Views:	230
Size:	708.9 KB
ID:	1793770

            Now, here's the same animation retargeted to a different character. Notice the lack of bounce. Looks very weird.

            Click image for larger version

Name:	Custom_Run.gif
Views:	187
Size:	661.2 KB
ID:	1793771

            Is there something I'm doing wrong? Thanks for the help! Love the plugin!

            Comment


              Originally posted by opx_mvxt View Post
              Hey there, I'm running into an issue when retargeting animations. It looks like pelvis/Hip movement is not preserved. It makes the retargeted animation look unnatural.

              Steps to recreate:
              1. Make sure custom character has Humanoid rig selected.
              2. Download running animation with Mixamo character.
              3. Import to UE4 and ensure Mixamo Animation + Mixamo Skeleton working.
              4. Use Mixamo Animation Retargeting plugin to convert Mixamo Skeleton.
              5. Retarget running animation to other character.
              Here's what the animation looks like on the Mixamo character. Notice the bounce. Looks very natural.

              Click image for larger version

Name:	Mixamo_Run.gif
Views:	230
Size:	708.9 KB
ID:	1793770

              Now, here's the same animation retargeted to a different character. Notice the lack of bounce. Looks very weird.

              Click image for larger version

Name:	Custom_Run.gif
Views:	187
Size:	661.2 KB
ID:	1793771

              Is there something I'm doing wrong? Thanks for the help! Love the plugin!
              Hi!

              We analyzed your report but we were not able to reproduce it. With a test using a running animation by Mixamo on the UE4 mannequin, the animation seems playing as expected:

              Click image for larger version

Name:	mixamo.gif
Views:	185
Size:	263.1 KB
ID:	1794042

              Looking at your GIF, it seems that your target character is using a skeleton slightly different that the standard UE4 mannequin one. It could be possible that the original skeleton is missing the bone corresponding to the one animated by Mixamo, or that the model is not skinned accordingly. Could you please double check it? If the problem persists, could you please send a ZIP of the original FBX of the target character (before any retargeting done by our plugin) at support@unamedia.com so that we can try to look at it?

              Thanks.
              UE4 Plugins: [Mixamo Animation Retargeting] - [Stereo Panoramic Player] - [Cardboard VR] - [MultiWorld]

              Comment


                Originally posted by UNAmedia View Post
                We analyzed your report but we were not able to reproduce it. With a test using a running animation by Mixamo on the UE4 mannequin, the animation seems playing as expected:
                .
                Hi there, sorry for slow reply. I looked into it and it turns out I had my animation retargeting settings incorrect. Root & Pelvis need to be set to Animation or AnimationScaled while the rest of the skeleton needs to be set to Skeleton. For anyone else looking at this, you can find this by going to Skeleton -> Skeleton Tree tab -> Options -> Show Retargeting Options.
                Attached Files

                Comment


                  Hello,

                  Is there any way I may get some help? I am trying to use root motion to have my character roll, and I think I have everything done correctly, but when I try to roll, the character plays the animation but does not move forward. I am pretty sure I have the root bone added, but I'm not sure. Thank you very much, I hope to hear back soon. I am currently stuck where I am at.

                  Comment


                    Originally posted by Andyzeus Nutus View Post
                    Hello,

                    Is there any way I may get some help? I am trying to use root motion to have my character roll, and I think I have everything done correctly, but when I try to roll, the character plays the animation but does not move forward. I am pretty sure I have the root bone added, but I'm not sure. Thank you very much, I hope to hear back soon. I am currently stuck where I am at.
                    Hi,

                    if you're trying to create a Root Motion animation from Mixamo animations, then we have a video tutorial explaining how to create it from a pair of Normal and In-Place Mixamo animations (both are required):



                    You can check if the used animation is a correct "Root Motion animation" opening the animation editor and enabling in the viewport the flag Character > Animation > Process Root Motion (and following the character with the camera). When the character will move too far, the editor will reset its position. With the flag disabled, the character will play the animation without moving its position. If everything is ok, you can follow the official documentation to properly play the animation in-game.
                    UE4 Plugins: [Mixamo Animation Retargeting] - [Stereo Panoramic Player] - [Cardboard VR] - [MultiWorld]

                    Comment


                      Hi,

                      if you see your animation/skeletal mesh "floating" in the Persona editors, this is (usually) caused by settings in the Persona editor and not issues with the mesh or animation. When you place your mesh in-game, its position is commonly determined by the character pawn capsule or by the skeletal mesh collision shape (check the skeletal mesh's Physics Asset). If you want to see your mesh not floating in the Persona editor, you can try unchecking the "View Options" > "Auto Align Floor to Mesh" option or playing with the "Floor Height Offset" value.

                      Click image for larger version

Name:	Mixamo-skeletal-floor.png
Views:	94
Size:	455.9 KB
ID:	1834288
                      UE4 Plugins: [Mixamo Animation Retargeting] - [Stereo Panoramic Player] - [Cardboard VR] - [MultiWorld]

                      Comment


                        Hi. Have some troubles. When i try to use plugin to retarget Mixamo anim to unreal i have a problem with hands (they do not match at the shoulders), so to make it works properly i have to rework all as i have to do without plugin. Can you fix it?

                        How to enable root motion to animations without Mixamo animation "In-Place"? On Mixamo it named as Standing Melee Run Jump. I know how to make it root-motion without plugin, but how with?

                        Comment


                          Hi!

                          Originally posted by VladimirDBVY View Post
                          Hi. Have some troubles. When i try to use plugin to retarget Mixamo anim to unreal i have a problem with hands (they do not match at the shoulders), so to make it works properly i have to rework all as i have to do without plugin. Can you fix it?
                          Some (relatively) "small" errors are commons and are caused by the different morphologies of the involved meshes and skeletons. You can fix this type of errors directly in the editor following this video tutorial:



                          Originally posted by VladimirDBVY View Post
                          How to enable root motion to animations without Mixamo animation "In-Place"? On Mixamo it named as Standing Melee Run Jump. I know how to make it root-motion without plugin, but how with?
                          As documented in the plugin description, to create UE4 root motion animations the plugin requires both the "Normal" and the "In-Place" Mixamo animations. Without both of them is not possible to compute the mathematically correct UE4 root motion animation.
                          The only workarounds we know to deal with this problem when you don't have the required In-Place animation are:Instead, if you have both the required animations, then you can use the plugin following this tutorial:


                          UE4 Plugins: [Mixamo Animation Retargeting] - [Stereo Panoramic Player] - [Cardboard VR] - [MultiWorld]

                          Comment


                            Hi everyone! The update for UE4.26 has been submitted to Epic for review. We'll update you here when the new version will be available in the Marketplace.
                            UE4 Plugins: [Mixamo Animation Retargeting] - [Stereo Panoramic Player] - [Cardboard VR] - [MultiWorld]

                            Comment


                              Hi! The update for UE4.26 is now available in the Marketplace.
                              UE4 Plugins: [Mixamo Animation Retargeting] - [Stereo Panoramic Player] - [Cardboard VR] - [MultiWorld]

                              Comment


                                Having problems with the retargeting. I'm following the instructions in the video, but my character is crumpled up. Here is a screen capture of the mesh before targeting. Are the additional connections the problem?

                                Attached Files

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X