Mixamo Animation Retargeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Sean Sanderson View Post
    Hi I wondered if the plugin could include the ability to rename the bones to the same as the UE4 Mannequin convention ? Thus allowing the resulting skeletal mesh to be "assigned" rather than re-targeted. Thus would allow the skeletal mesh to be used with existing packages like ALS or Survival Game Kit where swapping out the retargeted anims is a long process. I know the neck and head bones are different in the hierarchy but as you are inserting a root bone already would it be possible to fix the mixamo bones to match the UE4 Mannequin ?
    Hi! Thanks for asking. I also replied on the marketplace page, but here you should receive a notification

Changing the name of the bones has several implications in UE4, as animations and meshes skinning are bound to such names. Changing them would need in turn to "re-construct" a lot of assets (skeletons, meshes, animations [and everything connected to the original skeleton, as blend animations, animation blueprints, etc etc]). As this is a very intrusive option and could not scale well during production, we decided to not support it.
    Mixamo Animation Retargeting - Stereo Panoramic Player

Comment

Not sure if there is a different process than what is shown, but I was trying to have the skeleton and Skeletal Mesh retarget. I clicked on the skeletal mesh for the mixamo character and did the retarget like in the video, it shows the newly added root bone and stuff and I can now retarget animations to the mannequin, however, for example when editing the third person character blueprint, select the skeletal mesh of the Mixamo character but it doesn't allow the Ue4 third person blueprint to be able to use.

Any thoughts or was this never even supported?

NOTE: to clairify, when clicking inside the mixamo skeleton, the humanoid rig was automatically added.

Comment

Originally posted by CVoiceOfficial View Post
        Not sure if there is a different process than what is shown, but I was trying to have the skeleton and Skeletal Mesh retarget. I clicked on the skeletal mesh for the mixamo character and did the retarget like in the video, it shows the newly added root bone and stuff and I can now retarget animations to the mannequin, however, for example when editing the third person character blueprint, select the skeletal mesh of the Mixamo character but it doesn't allow the Ue4 third person blueprint to be able to use.

Any thoughts or was this never even supported?

NOTE: to clairify, when clicking inside the mixamo skeleton, the humanoid rig was automatically added.
        If I interpreted correctly, your issue is about the "Animation Blueprint", right? In this case, you have to remember that the two characters still have different skeletons: the "retargeting" in used only to "convert" animations between different skeletons. So the current behavior is the expected one. You can solve it retargeting the Animation Blueprint as you did with the animation. This was covered by the UE4 documentation (search "Retargeting an Animation Blueprint" on Google), but now I can't find it in the new documentation... Here the archived version: https://web.archive.org/web/20181206...ationblueprint You should right-click on the Animation Blueprint and select the "Retarget Anim Blueprints" -> "Duplicate Anim Blueprints and Retarget" option.

Comment

Originally posted by UNAmedia View Post

If I interpreted correctly, your issue is about the "Animation Blueprint", right? In this case, you have to remember that the two characters still have different skeletons: the "retargeting" in used only to "convert" animations between different skeletons. So the current behavior is the expected one. You can solve it retargeting the Animation Blueprint as you did with the animation. This was covered by the UE4 documentation (search "Retargeting an Animation Blueprint" on Google), but now I can't find it in the new documentation... Here the archived version: https://web.archive.org/web/20181206...ationblueprint You should right-click on the Animation Blueprint and select the "Retarget Anim Blueprints" -> "Duplicate Anim Blueprints and Retarget" option.
          Ohhhh. Yeah, that's must be why I couldn't get the animation blueprint to do anything for the mesh in the blueprint. That's kinda lame for the unreal engine, not your plugin. I always thought retargeting meant you can now use everything interchangeably. So I would still need to make multiple copies of everything if I wanted the skeletal mesh specifically. Dang.

Confusing even more if youre saying its still the same imixamo skeleton, because when you use your retarget system I would no longer be able to use new mixamo animations on that skeleton.

Comment

However, your plugin description says you can retarget skeletal meshes as well. What does that even mean if not that you can transfer a skeletal mesh to be used by the mannequin skeleton?

Comment

Ohhhh. Yeah, that's must be why I couldn't get the animation blueprint to do anything for the mesh in the blueprint. That's kinda lame for the unreal engine, not your plugin. I always thought retargeting meant you can now use everything interchangeably. So I would still need to make multiple copies of everything if I wanted the skeletal mesh specifically. Dang.
              The point is that the "retargeting" in UE4 is not a "convert" operation as someone could initially think. As soon as you discover it, its pipeline becomes more clear (and you'll discover new tasks to do ).

Confusing even more if youre saying its still the same imixamo skeleton, because when you use your retarget system I would no longer be able to use new mixamo animations on that skeleton.
              The culprit here is the addition of the root bone to the Mixamo skeleton (we do it to make the retargeted skeleton compatible with Root Motion animations): it causes the skeleton to have a new bone and this is enough for UE4 to refuse to import new animations. Maybe Epic could have been more permissive on this, reporting a simple warning during import.

However, your plugin description says you can retarget skeletal meshes as well. What does that even mean if not that you can transfer a skeletal mesh to be used by the mannequin skeleton?
              It's a (too much, maybe ) technical point: as we add the root bone to the skeleton, we also have to update the skeletal mesh to keep it compatible and support the whole retargeting pipeline.

Comment

The point is that the "retargeting" in UE4 is not a "convert" operation as someone could initially think. As soon as you discover it, its pipeline becomes more clear (and you'll discover new tasks to do ).

The culprit here is the addition of the root bone to the Mixamo skeleton (we do it to make the retargeted skeleton compatible with Root Motion animations): it causes the skeleton to have a new bone and this is enough for UE4 to refuse to import new animations. Maybe Epic could have been more permissive on this, reporting a simple warning during import.

It's a (too much, maybe ) technical point: as we add the root bone to the skeleton, we also have to update the skeletal mesh to keep it compatible and support the whole retargeting pipeline.
                Thank you very much for the clarification. I Really appreciate it.

Comment

Short update: on September 10th we sent to Epic the new files for UE4.23. I think in few days they should review them.

Comment

Version for UE4.23 has been approved by Epic few moments ago. It should be now available for download (if not, please wait few hours and then restart the Epic Launcher).

Comment

Hi, I seem to have some problems with the feet after importing a mixamo animations and retargeting it. I am new to this stuff, can someone explain what I did wrong or link me to some documentation that will help me solve this?

The animation is the Mixamo "Jog Strafe Left" animation if that helps and targeted to the UE4 skeleton.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	1 Size:	52.4 KB ID:	1666398

EDIT: IT seems to me that the retargeting has gone wrong, and that the Calf is being assigned a foot bone, and the foot getting the toes

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1666408

Last edited by Bolad Daurian; 09-18-2019, 07:06 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rob-bb View Post
                        Hi, I seem to have some problems with the feet after importing a mixamo animations and retargeting it. I am new to this stuff, can someone explain what I did wrong or link me to some documentation that will help me solve this?

The animation is the Mixamo "Jog Strafe Left" animation if that helps and targeted to the UE4 skeleton.

Click image for larger version Name:	Capture.JPG Views:	1 Size:	52.4 KB ID:	1666398

EDIT: IT seems to me that the retargeting has gone wrong, and that the Calf is being assigned a foot bone, and the foot getting the toes

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture1.JPG
Views:	139
Size:	143.7 KB
ID:	1666408

Hi! The animation and skeleton downloaded from Mixamo are also tuned respect to the character you selected. If you can give me the name of the used character, I can investigate the issue. Thanks.

Comment

Hi! The animation and skeleton downloaded from Mixamo are also tuned respect to the character you selected. If you can give me the name of the used character, I can investigate the issue. Thanks.
                          IT was a custom Fuse character sent to mixamo, is there a way to message you privately on this forum?

Comment

IT was a custom Fuse character sent to mixamo, is there a way to message you privately on this forum?
                            The plugin can work only with correct assets from Mixamo. Could you please verify that the downloaded animation played fine with your character before using our plugin (e.g. looking at the animation directly in UE4 soon after having imported them)?

To share files privately, you can send the download link by email at support@unamedia.com . Thanks!

Comment

The plugin can work only with correct assets from Mixamo. Could you please verify that the downloaded animation played fine with your character before using our plugin (e.g. looking at the animation directly in UE4 soon after having imported them)?

To share files privately, you can send the download link by email at support@unamedia.com . Thanks!
                              I have resolved the issue, thanks for your support. I needed to correct the pose before retargeting

Comment

I have resolved the issue, thanks for your support. I needed to correct the pose before retargeting
                                Glad you solved!

Comment

Working...
                                X