Mixamo Animation Retargeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KateSkywalker View Post
    Hi I am trying to retarget ARISSA which is a MIXAMO character but I cant find the Retarget Mixamo Skeleton Asset option (the plugin is installed properly)

Im working on 4.21
    Hi! I suspect the plugin is not enabled in your project: when the plugin is enabled, if you right click on a skeleton asset you'll see the plugin options. If - for example - you select a "wrong" skeleton, you'll see them anyway but greyed-out (as in the attached screenshot). Verify the plugin is enabled under the menu Edit > Plugins and searching for it, it must have the Enabled flag checked.
    Mixamo Animation Retargeting - Stereo Panoramic Player

Comment

Originally posted by UNAmedia View Post

EDIT: I now read "enabling the root animation to a mixamo animation" - please note that you can't simply enable this flag on a Mixamo animation. To use Root Motion with Mixamo Animations you must use the plugin to create a new root motion animation from a pair of "ordinary" and "in-place" Mixamo animations. Here the detailed instructions to follow: https://youtu.be/IwlwjLQBqmM .
      Hello,

I just purchased the plugin. I am trying to enable root motion, however, Adobe has removed the in-place option when downloading assets from Mixamo. Please advise how we can get root motion retargeted without this feature on Mixamo. It is the reason why I purchased the plugin.

Thank you,

Justin

Comment

Tried, not perfect (shoulders/clavicle issue)
        but good enough for a "laugh"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCe2...ature=youtu.be

Comment

Originally posted by J McBride View Post

Hello,

I just purchased the plugin. I am trying to enable root motion, however, Adobe has removed the in-place option when downloading assets from Mixamo. Please advise how we can get root motion retargeted without this feature on Mixamo. It is the reason why I purchased the plugin.

Thank you,

Justin
          Hi Justin,

Mixamo didn't remove such option (e.g. search for the Walking animation - see attached screenshot). Simply this option is not available for all animations. Unfortunately Mixamo animations can be converted automatically to UE4 Root Motion animations only if we have both the animations.

The only other options are: manual tuning of the animation outside UE4; or using a custom Blueprint animation to "zeros" the Hips bone offsetting (here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/unre...658#post997658 ).
          Last edited by UNAmedia; 04-14-2019, 11:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by chriscast View Post
            Tried, not perfect (shoulders/clavicle issue)
            but good enough for a "laugh"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCe2...ature=youtu.be
            Very nice! Unfortunately animation retargeting is a "cheat", and it will have always some errors. We have a short tutorial video on how to manually improve the result directly in the UE4 editor: https://youtu.be/soEEw4oS7no

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Very nice! Unfortunately animation retargeting is a "cheat", and it will have always some errors. We have a short tutorial video on how to manually improve the result directly in the UE4 editor: https://youtu.be/soEEw4oS7no

Thanks for sharing!
              thank you for the video link. the resulting animation I did was just from a 3-5 minute TEST of the plugin, and the result is amazing! This plug-in is gold!

the video link for the tweaks/fixes will surely improve the overall result!

Comment

Hi. Working like a charm except when I want to duplicate anim assets to the mixamo character I cant because the mixamo character doesn't show up in the select skeleton window.

Comment

Originally posted by willardj View Post
                  Hi. Working like a charm except when I want to duplicate anim assets to the mixamo character I cant because the mixamo character doesn't show up in the select skeleton window.
                  Hi! Do you mean when you right click on an Animation Sequence asset and select "Retarget Anim Assets" > "Duplicate Anim Assets and Retarget"? If this is the case, it means the animation is using a skeleton with a different "Rig" set-up. Likely you have two different UE4 mannequin skeletons in your project (call them "A" and "B"), maybe the retargeted character is using skeleton A while the animation is using skeleton B. For UE4, they are different skeletons.

Comment

Hi! Do you mean when you right click on an Animation Sequence asset and select "Retarget Anim Assets" > "Duplicate Anim Assets and Retarget"? If this is the case, it means the animation is using a skeleton with a different "Rig" set-up. Likely you have two different UE4 mannequin skeletons in your project (call them "A" and "B"), maybe the retargeted character is using skeleton A while the animation is using skeleton B. For UE4, they are different skeletons.
                    Thank you for your very quick reply. I'll check that and let you know.

Comment

Thank you for your very quick reply. I'll check that and let you know.
                      I used the default third person character for testing and one of the default Mannequin Animations. they are one and the same I thought.

Comment

I used the default third person character for testing and one of the default Mannequin Animations. they are one and the same I thought.
                        Ok. Please verify that the used Unreal Engine 4 mannequin skeleton in your project has the “Humanoid” rig set (by default it should be empty). You can see how to set it at the beginning of the documentation video: youtu.be/OSaYNLdrYck . BTW, this example video just uses the Third Person template with some Mixamo assets, double check the steps in the video.

Comment

Ok. Please verify that the used Unreal Engine 4 mannequin skeleton in your project has the “Humanoid” rig set (by default it should be empty). You can see how to set it at the beginning of the documentation video: youtu.be/OSaYNLdrYck . BTW, this example video just uses the Third Person template with some Mixamo assets, double check the steps in the video.
                          I used this video as a guide and set it to Humanoid. the video is very clear.. Will do it from scratch again. Thank you. Glad to hear that this isn't a common issue but probably my mistake.

Comment

I used this video as a guide and set it to Humanoid. the video is very clear.. Will do it from scratch again. Thank you. Glad to hear that this isn't a common issue but probably my mistake.
                            No problem. Software, despite the name, it's always "hard" If you encounter again the issue with the new project, if you can share it via PM I'll check it.

Comment

Yes you were right. Works now. Thanks a lot.

Comment

Hi I wondered if the plugin could include the ability to rename the bones to the same as the UE4 Mannequin convention ? Thus allowing the resulting skeletal mesh to be "assigned" rather than re-targeted. Thus would allow the skeletal mesh to be used with existing packages like ALS or Survival Game Kit where swapping out the retargeted anims is a long process. I know the neck and head bones are different in the hierarchy but as you are inserting a root bone already would it be possible to fix the mixamo bones to match the UE4 Mannequin ?

Comment

Working...
                                X