No announcement yet.

Mixamo Animation Retargeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have tried to recreate it within both 4.18 and 4.19, the issue only occurs in 4.19 but even the Mixamo default characters have this issue when attempting to retarget animations.
    Followed instructions to the letter as well.

Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by tmckenzie17 View Post
      I have tried to recreate it within both 4.18 and 4.19, the issue only occurs in 4.19 but even the Mixamo default characters have this issue when attempting to retarget animations.
      Followed instructions to the letter as well.
      Another user had exactly the same problem: the problem was that the character was wrongly oriented. Mixamo characters must look toward the positive Y axis (in UE4). I suspect that your character is looking toward the negative direction. A quick fix: when you import your character, in the FBX Import Options dialog, set the Import Rotation Z to 180. This solves the issue.

The problem anyway is "outside UE4" (or maybe during the import): the resulting character inside UE4 is wrong. The plugin works only on correctly imported assets. If your imported Mixamo character is wrong before using the plugin, the plugin will not work properly.
      Mixamo Animation Retargeting - Stereo Panoramic Player

Comment

Originally posted by UNAmedia View Post

Another user had exactly the same problem: the problem was that the character was wrongly oriented. Mixamo characters must look toward the positive Y axis (in UE4). I suspect that your character is looking toward the negative direction. A quick fix: when you import your character, in the FBX Import Options dialog, set the Import Rotation Z to 180. This solves the issue.

The problem anyway is "outside UE4" (or maybe during the import): the resulting character inside UE4 is wrong. The plugin works only on correctly imported assets. If your imported Mixamo character is wrong before using the plugin, the plugin will not work properly.
        This did not fix the issue.

Comment

Originally posted by tmckenzie17 View Post

This did not fix the issue.
          Is your imported character correctly oriented? Could you compare your model with the ones in the free Mixamo Animation Pack (https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...imation-pack)? They must correspond. Otherwise send a PM with the FBX of your character, the one downloaded from Mixamo.

Comment

Hello,

I went thought he process of taking a Mixamo rigged model and bringing it into UE for use with out UE animations. I didn't have any animations to bring over from Mixamo so I essentially stopped once the skeleton had been re-targeted and the default pose changed.

I exported my re-targeted character to another on my team and was told he would need to adjust it a bit to get it to work with our animations. Should not the re-targeted be fully compliant with UE animations?

My question is this, without the animations verify the re-targeting was successful how I can easily tell the skeleton has been properly re-targeted for UE?

Thanks for the info in advance.

Comment

Originally posted by Wranglerltg View Post
              Hello,

I went thought he process of taking a Mixamo rigged model and bringing it into UE for use with out UE animations. I didn't have any animations to bring over from Mixamo so I essentially stopped once the skeleton had been re-targeted and the default pose changed.

I exported my re-targeted character to another on my team and was told he would need to adjust it a bit to get it to work with our animations. Should not the re-targeted be fully compliant with UE animations?

My question is this, without the animations verify the re-targeting was successful how I can easily tell the skeleton has been properly re-targeted for UE?

Thanks for the info in advance.
              Hi,

what do you mean by "I exported my re-targeted character to another"? I'm not sure you can export outside UE4 the retargeted FBX skeleton, as the retargeting options that the plugin modifies are UE4 specifics (i.e. the underlying skeleton is not modified). In general, after you have applied the plugin on a Mixamo model, if you have an existing UE4 animation then you can retarget it (the UE4 animation) to the modified Mixamo model. The retargeting is then computed by the UE4 editor using the informations computed by the plugin. You can see it at time 2:50 in this video: https://youtu.be/OSaYNLdrYck?t=2m50s (I suggest to look at all the video).

cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by UNAmedia View Post
                what do you mean by "I exported my re-targeted character to another"?
                What I meant was that I exported from a test project that I use to a project that others on our team could access. I'm thinking after reading what you said that I may need to active it in that in the team project and re-do what I started, or buy plugins for each member of our team that needs it.

Comment

Originally posted by Wranglerltg View Post

What I meant was that I exported from a test project that I use to a project that others on our team could access. I'm thinking after reading what you said that I may need to active it in that in the team project and re-do what I started, or buy plugins for each member of our team that needs it.
                  Ah ok, i think the term used in the editor for that action is "migrate". Anyway, I don't think other people of your team would need a copy of the plugin: after having "applied" it, the resulting asset can be used without any "run-time" dependency from our plugin. Maybe your issue is in the migration process: in your project "A", you retargeted the Mixamo model "B" to the UE4 mannequin skeleton "C"; when you migrate "B" to another project "D", if that project already has a UE4 mannequin "E", I suspect the editor is unable to understand that "C" and "E" are the same skeleton. If true, animations using skeleton "E" could not be retargeted as skeleton "C" (used also by "B") would be considered as a different skeleton. Sorry for the complex description, I hope you understood the point anyway. Let me know if you need further help.

Comment

Hello all. Plugin looks great. Two questions:
                    -is it working with T character pose?
                    -are there any sales planned in the future?

Best...

Comment

Hi all! The update for UE4.20 has been submitted and should be available soon on the Marketplace. The update is already available to Gumroad customers.

Comment

Originally posted by katanec View Post
                        Hello all. Plugin looks great. Two questions:
                        -is it working with T character pose?
                        -are there any sales planned in the future?

Best...
                        Hi!
                        1. the plugin works with the Mixamo character in it's usual T-pose. The plugin will automatically compute the proper A-pose to match the UE4 mannequin.
                        2. no sales are planned at the moment, but you could check with Epic if they are planning something before the Winter sales.

Comment

Originally posted by psalm702
                          Game Jam SOS!

"Retarget Mixamo Skeleton Asset" is greyed out. Plugin (using 4.20 version from Gumroad) isn't working. Mixamo recently (actually quite a while ago) added an extra prefix "mixamorig:" to their skeletons. Can this be the reason?

[Edit] I tried removing the prefix "mixamorig:" by hand and it's now working. Please add this feature to the new updates. Thanks!
                          Hi psalm702, thanks for the report and the workaround. We'll look at this issue in the next days. Thanks!

Comment

Hi, I can't Retarget Anim Asset from AnimStarterPack to Mixamo character.

UE4 4.19.2 + Plugin Mixamo Animation Retargeting enabled

Steps
                            -------
                            0) Assign humanoïd rig to UE4_Mannequin_Skeleton
                            1) Download character from Mixamo.com (I tried with "Brute" and "Akai E Espiritu")
                            2) Import in UE4
                            3) Assign humanoïd rig to Brute_Skeleton (Save)
                            4) Right-clic on Brute_Skeleton : Retarget Mixamo Skeleton Asset (Save)
                            5) Right-clic on ThirdPerson_AnimBP (OK - Perfect, just small adjustment for shoulders)
                            6) Right-clic on AnimStarterPack » Aim_Space_Hip (or any other animations) = No compatible skeleton (even UE4_Mannequin_Skeleton is not recognised)
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	no_compatible_skeleton.PNG
Views:	51
Size:	543.4 KB
ID:	1505211Click image for larger version

Name:	uncheck_compatibleSkeleton.PNG
Views:	56
Size:	394.4 KB
ID:	1505210
                            7) Uncheck "Show only Compatible Skeletons" and Retarget
                            »» T-pose + head falling only

Name:	result.PNG
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	1505209

Any idea?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Achitakayoh View Post
                              Hi, I can't Retarget Anim Asset from AnimStarterPack to Mixamo character.

UE4 4.19.2 + Plugin Mixamo Animation Retargeting enabled

Steps
                              -------
                              0) Assign humanoïd rig to UE4_Mannequin_Skeleton
                              1) Download character from Mixamo.com (I tried with "Brute" and "Akai E Espiritu")
                              2) Import in UE4
                              3) Assign humanoïd rig to Brute_Skeleton (Save)
                              4) Right-clic on Brute_Skeleton : Retarget Mixamo Skeleton Asset (Save)
                              5) Right-clic on ThirdPerson_AnimBP (OK - Perfect, just small adjustment for shoulders)
                              6) Right-clic on AnimStarterPack » Aim_Space_Hip (or any other animations) = No compatible skeleton (even UE4_Mannequin_Skeleton is not recognised)

Name:	no_compatible_skeleton.PNG
Views:	51
Size:	543.4 KB
ID:	1505211Click image for larger version

Name:	uncheck_compatibleSkeleton.PNG
Size:	394.4 KB
ID:	1505210
                              7) Uncheck "Show only Compatible Skeletons" and Retarget
                              »» T-pose + head falling only

Name:	result.PNG
Size:	200.6 KB
ID:	1505209

Any idea?
                              Hi Achitakayoh,

thanks for all the details.

The "Select Skeleton" view of the UE4 editor shows all the skeletons that have the same Rig as the one of the selected asset. So, if "Brute_Skeleton" doesn't shows up here it means that the selected asset and the "Brute_Skeleton" have different Rigs. This usually happen when you have multiple UE4_Mannequin_Skeleton skeletons in the same project: you set the Humanoid rig on one UE4_Mannequin_Skeleton skeleton but the animation is linked to another UE4_Mannequin_Skeleton asset (that has an empty Rig). Also if they are identical, each one is a completely different asset for UE4. Search for all the skeletons in your project and likely you'll find multiple copies of the UE4_Mannequin_Skeleton. (more quickly: open the problematic animation and check the bound skeleton)

Let me know if this solves your issue or if it persists.

Comment

Thank you very much UNAmedia. Problem solved!
                                • AnimStarterPack » UE4_Mannequin » Mesh : UEO_Mannequin_Skeleton
                                • Select Humanoïd (save)
                                • Retarget to Mannequin » Character »Mesh » UE4_Mannequin_Skeleton

Comment

Working...
                                X