No announcement yet.

Mixamo Animation Retargeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi there! GREAT JOB with this plugin! Well worth the purchase! One problem I experience is if I add bones to mixamo animated rigs and then import to UE4, any bones not on the original rig lose their animation when I retarget to the mannequin skeleton with your plugin. All bones in the mixamo skeleton retain their animations through retargeting.

In my case, I added and animated facial bones for a smiling idle animation. Upon retargeting with your plugin, the animation still has the body movement, but the facial bones revert to their default pose (not smiling).

Any ideas what I can do to retain animations in these bones?

Comment

Hi I'm on mac and every time i try buy it it says I'm missing a compatible engine and i need to know if i can just buy miami animation retargeting and have a figure that i can just move and give animations with out buying 40 other things

Comment

i was also wondering if i the application is made so i can drag and move arms and other things to make an animation i just starting and need to know these things

Comment

Originally posted by twalk1776 View Post
          Hi there! GREAT JOB with this plugin! Well worth the purchase! One problem I experience is if I add bones to mixamo animated rigs and then import to UE4, any bones not on the original rig lose their animation when I retarget to the mannequin skeleton with your plugin. All bones in the mixamo skeleton retain their animations through retargeting.

In my case, I added and animated facial bones for a smiling idle animation. Upon retargeting with your plugin, the animation still has the body movement, but the facial bones revert to their default pose (not smiling).

Any ideas what I can do to retain animations in these bones?
          Hi! Thanks a lot

I think that unfortunately this is the default behavior in UE4 when you do animation retargeting: if the target skeleton doesn't have all the bones of the source animation, such bones are ignored (see for example this answer - the question is similar to your: https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...-skeleton.html). The reason is simple: as you are transferring informations to a new mesh, the system doesn't know how to automatically add such bones and - more difficult - how to properly skin them on the new skeletal mesh.

If you want to apply such animations to the UE4 mannequin, you have to add and skin such bones to the UE4 skeleton and skeletal mesh before, then apply the retargetings. Unfortunately it's not a quick task. But maybe there is some other solution that I'm not thinking about.
          UE4 Plugins: [Mixamo Animation Retargeting] - [Stereo Panoramic Player]

Comment

Originally posted by parkourking14 View Post
            Hi I'm on mac and every time i try buy it it says I'm missing a compatible engine and i need to know if i can just buy miami animation retargeting and have a figure that i can just move and give animations with out buying 40 other things
            Hi. For issues with the marketplace, you must refer directly to Epic. We have no access to it, so we can't help unfortunately. You can contact them writing at marketplace-support@unrealengine.com .

Originally posted by parkourking14 View Post
            i was also wondering if i the application is made so i can drag and move arms and other things to make an animation i just starting and need to know these things
            No, this plugin allows you to mix Mixamo characters and animations (i.e. the one downloaded from https://www.mixamo.com) with UE4 characters and animations (i.e. the ones usually downloaded from the UE4 Marketplace). What you ask for is not covered by this plugin.

Comment

Originally posted by UNAmedia View Post

Hi. For issues with the marketplace, you must refer directly to Epic. We have no access to it, so we can't help unfortunately. You can contact them writing at marketplace-support@unrealengine.com .

No, this plugin allows you to mix Mixamo characters and animations (i.e. the one downloaded from https://www.mixamo.com) with UE4 characters and animations (i.e. the ones usually downloaded from the UE4 Marketplace). What you ask for is not covered by this plugin.
              do you know of any that do

Comment

Good Evening,

I purchased your plugin yesterday. You’ve done a great job! However, I do have a question. Is it possible to have two or more Mixamo characters share the same mixamo skeleton, so they can share the same retargeted animations? If so, how is this accomplished? I tried running the plugin on both characters after importing them, then reassigning the second mixamo character to the first mixamo character’s skeleton, but when playing the animations on the second character, they turned into a blob mess. It would be super helpful with a town of characters to have one single shared animation set.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by cornwell View Post
                  Good Evening,

I purchased your plugin yesterday. You’ve done a great job! However, I do have a question. Is it possible to have two or more Mixamo characters share the same mixamo skeleton, so they can share the same retargeted animations? If so, how is this accomplished? I tried running the plugin on both characters after importing them, then reassigning the second mixamo character to the first mixamo character’s skeleton, but when playing the animations on the second character, they turned into a blob mess. It would be super helpful with a town of characters to have one single shared animation set.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
                  Unfortunately the problem is that different Mixamo skeletons, while they can use the same bone hierarchies, have different bone transformations to put the skeletal meshes in the same base pose. This is the reason you can't simply "swap" the skeletons.
                  In addition, you can use options to generate different bone hierarchies (mostly about fingers), that complicates the subject further.

For now it must be managed as a normal animation retargeting problem.

Comment

Hi mate,

Another mannequin skeleton with the mixamo skeleton retarget the arms are broken.

I have this problem in some skeletons.

Comment

Originally posted by ShaNexxx View Post

Hi mate,

Another mannequin skeleton with the mixamo skeleton retarget the arms are broken.

I have this problem in some skeletons.
                      I don't find other records of this problem. Could you provide more details? Only one user reported problems with the arms recently (they were twisted behind the back), his problem was that the asset was not the one downloaded from Mixamo (likely it contained some custom-made modifications that ruined the model).

Comment

Hey there. I bought this time ago, not used it till now.
                        Its not working for me, this is what i am doing:

1- I make my character in fuse standalone, upoload to mixamo, autorig it and download the model in Tpose.
                        2- In Unreal, i retarget the character to the mannequin, just like in the video.
                        3- Now, i want to use this model with the locomotion system V3; i just change the mesh like they make in the video, and nothing happens.
                        The mannequin was playing an animation, and when i exchange it with my new retargeted mixamo character... then it stands in Tpose...

Comment

Never mind, igot it. I was making something wrong.

i only have a little problem now; when i look around (left right) at a certain angle, the character head "pops" and go instantly to the opposite side.
                          Not sure if that is something relative to the mixamo retargeting.

Comment

Originally posted by tukor View Post
                            Never mind, igot it. I was making something wrong.

i only have a little problem now; when i look around (left right) at a certain angle, the character head "pops" and go instantly to the opposite side.
                            Not sure if that is something relative to the mixamo retargeting.
                            Glad you solved

I think your problem is "animation-related", I don't think it's about the skeleton: skeletons are simply moved using animation data, going through "key frames". Between the key frames, UE4 interpolates the movements; so you have *always* smooth movements (to avoid a smooth movement, you must have an animation that explicitly disable it). If the skeleton is wrong, you would simply see something like a "monster", smoothly deforming itself - but always smoothly, with no "pops", due the above interpolation formulas.

Comment

I don't find other records of this problem. Could you provide more details? Only one user reported problems with the arms recently (they were twisted behind the back), his problem was that the asset was not the one downloaded from Mixamo (likely it contained some custom-made modifications that ruined the model).
                              I am running into this issue as well.

Comment

Originally posted by tmckenzie17 View Post

I am running into this issue as well.
                                The reported was doing something wrong (see few comments later). Please provide more informations (at least some screenshots) for your issue.

Comment

Working...
                                X