Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mixamo Animation Retargeting

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • This plugin looks amazing. Before I get started, I'm hoping someone can clarify some points for me. I currently have three models that I bought on TurboSquid and while all are from the same artist, their dimensions aren't exactly the same (different heights, A-Pose slightly different). Do I need to standardize their size prior to submitting them to the Mixamo autorigger? Does Mixamo standardize the dimensions to its own models prior to rigging? I've tried importing one of the models and manually retargeted the UE4 animations to work with it, and it does work. As I understand it though, if skeletons are of different heights, they need to be retargeted separately, which means that I'd have to have four copies of each UE4 animation that I want to use (the original, plus one for A, B and C, respectively). Any guidance on this would be great.

    Comment


    • Hi!

      from my knowledge, Mixamo auto-rigger should be able to correctly operate on characters of any size. But I can't guarantee.

      Retargeted UE4 animations are adapted to the size of the target skeleton at run-time, using the Translation Retargeting options defined on the destination character.

      If all of your skeletons are retargeted toward the same skeleton (e.g. the UE4 mannequin one), then you can retarget the single "original" animation to all other skeletons (Reatarget Anim Assets > Duplicate Anim Assets and Retarget) and UE4 will automatically adapt the animation to the different scales. Please note that animation retargeting is a sort of "hack", so you could notice issues if characters have sensible topological differences.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by UNAmedia View Post
        Hi!

        from my knowledge, Mixamo auto-rigger should be able to correctly operate on characters of any size. But I can't guarantee.

        Retargeted UE4 animations are adapted to the size of the target skeleton at run-time, using the Translation Retargeting options defined on the destination character.

        If all of your skeletons are retargeted toward the same skeleton (e.g. the UE4 mannequin one), then you can retarget the single "original" animation to all other skeletons (Reatarget Anim Assets > Duplicate Anim Assets and Retarget) and UE4 will automatically adapt the animation to the different scales. Please note that animation retargeting is a sort of "hack", so you could notice issues if characters have sensible topological differences.
        Awesome, thanks! Off now to buy the plugin

        Comment


        • Any update on the shoulders sitting high when you use a imported Fuse character from Mixamo? How woudl I adjust the bones for now manually ?

          Comment


          • Originally posted by neojac View Post
            Any update on the shoulders sitting high when you use a imported Fuse character from Mixamo? How woudl I adjust the bones for now manually ?
            As reported by other users, this should be a problem with a wrong rigging in the Mixamo Auto-Rigger. If you perfectly rig the character in the Auto-Rigger you should not experience such issue in UE4. Could you double-check please? if the problem persists, please send your character in a PM so we can investigate.

            Comment


            • UNAmedia, I was hoping that you could clear up something for me. When I convert a Mixamo skeleton to the UE4 mannequin skeleton, should the UE4 animations now be available natively to the new Mixamo skeleton, or do the UE4 animations have to be retargeted to the Mixamo skeleton? Thanks.

              Comment


              • Originally posted by neojac View Post
                Any update on the shoulders sitting high when you use a imported Fuse character from Mixamo? How woudl I adjust the bones for now manually ?
                I have this problem as well. As per the referenced post, I was as OCD as I could manage in the Mixamo autorigger, but it made no difference to the model once it was retargeted to UK_Mannequin. Could there be something else wrong?

                Edit:
                I tried again (and again, and again) with other models that I bought on TurboSquid, and the all have the raised shoulders issue. If this is really a "I'm too stupid to use Mixamo", then so be it. Any advice on what I could be doing wrong would be great.
                Last edited by Dijon; 11-09-2017, 08:49 PM.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by Dijon View Post
                  UNAmedia, I was hoping that you could clear up something for me. When I convert a Mixamo skeleton to the UE4 mannequin skeleton, should the UE4 animations now be available natively to the new Mixamo skeleton, or do the UE4 animations have to be retargeted to the Mixamo skeleton? Thanks.
                  Animations have to be retargeted. The reason is that an animation is always bound to a single, unique skeleton. The "retargeting settings" define the rules that control how the animations are retargeted.

                  Comment


                  • Originally posted by Dijon View Post

                    I have this problem as well. As per the referenced post, I was as OCD as I could manage in the Mixamo autorigger, but it made no difference to the model once it was retargeted to UK_Mannequin. Could there be something else wrong?

                    Edit:
                    I tried again (and again, and again) with other models that I bought on TurboSquid, and the all have the raised shoulders issue. If this is really a "I'm too stupid to use Mixamo", then so be it. Any advice on what I could be doing wrong would be great.
                    To investigate the issue, we would need access to one of the faulty models. Could you please share one of this models in a PM using WeTransfer/Dropbox/Drive/...? Thanks!

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by UNAmedia View Post

                      To investigate the issue, we would need access to one of the faulty models. Could you please share one of this models in a PM using WeTransfer/Dropbox/Drive/...? Thanks!
                      UNAmedia PMed you with link to a shoulder faulty model - hope to hear from you soon

                      *edit: check only fbx file, ignore max file
                      Last edited by Curs0; 11-11-2017, 06:03 AM.

                      Comment


                      • I sent my model as well. Really hope this is fixable.

                        Comment


                        • Does it work with makehuman?

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by theProfessor View Post
                            Does it work with makehuman?
                            The plugin works on skeletal meshes rigged using Mixamo Auto-Rigger tool. As long as your MakeHuman mesh is rigged using the Mixamo Auto-Rigger tool, it should work.

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by UNAmedia View Post

                              The plugin works on skeletal meshes rigged using Mixamo Auto-Rigger tool. As long as your MakeHuman mesh is rigged using the Mixamo Auto-Rigger tool, it should work.
                              If I used one of the Infinity Blade characters would the Maximo retarder work? Could you do video on this? If you can do it I will buy. Does "Root motions animations" work. You could illustrate this in the video. Thanks.
                              Last edited by theProfessor; 11-14-2017, 12:02 PM.

                              Comment


                              • UNAmedia Do you have an update on the shoulder issue? I'm getting close to the point where I have to commit to either UE4 animations, or Mixamo ones. If the plugin works, I'd like to go with the UE4 ones.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X