Mixamo Animation Retargeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Swanton007 View Post

Would it be potentially possible to rename the bones in the mixamo skeleton to match the unreal one through code? Im just looking for the ideal way to fully eliminate the mixamo rig, and use unreal's default rig and get my fuse characters working on the unreal rig.
    It's surely possible to rename the bones, but I have no idea how complex it could be if done in-editor. We leverage the animation retargeting framework, changing bone names would require a different approach. In addition you would loose the "connection" with the animations, as they reference the bones by name.
    Mixamo Animation Retargeting - Stereo Panoramic Player

Comment

Originally posted by brisck1 View Post
      Just purchased this great plugin, right now I'm getting awful distortion on the wrists of my character and have a couple of questions regarding this:

1.) Can I export the re-target pose the plugin creates on my Mixamo Fuse character (The A-Pose that matches the default UE4 mannequin) to an animation or an FBX? I want to export that pose to 3DS Max and see if I more easily re-skin the mesh to the proper UE4 skeleton.

2.) Alternatively, would it be possible to add a feature that adds the twist bones back into the Mixamo skeleton so that the wrist distortion is fixed?

Thanks
      Hi! At the moment I suggest to going on with point (1): open the modified character skeleton (after run "Retarget Mixamo Skeleton Asset"), open the "Animation" tab, select an animation, then in the viewport "Show > Retarget Base pose". Finally: "Create Asset" > "Create animation" > "Current Pose". You should end with a 1 frame animation of the retargeting pose that you can export to FBX.

Comment

Originally posted by UNAmedia View Post

Hi! At the moment I suggest to going on with point (1): open the modified character skeleton (after run "Retarget Mixamo Skeleton Asset"), open the "Animation" tab, select an animation, then in the viewport "Show > Retarget Base pose". Finally: "Create Asset" > "Create animation" > "Current Pose". You should end with a 1 frame animation of the retargeting pose that you can export to FBX.
        Hi, thanks so much for the suggestion - following your advice I was able to export the pose as an FBX, however when trying to import the FBX to 3ds Max it crashes. I've tried several versions of Max with the same result, is there something I'm doing wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Straight Shorty View Post

How do you export the UE4 Skeleton to Mixamo? And have you tried it with a Daz3D model?
          Right click the skeletal mesh in the UE4 browser to export. I believe it's in Asset Actions. Don't have it open now. Yes, I've tried this and succeeded in using it with:

Mixamo characters
          MakeHuman Characters
          ManuelLabs Blender plugin Characters
          Daz3D Characters

If they have the same basic human structure with approximately the same amount of bones, it'll work. Sorry about the late reply, I didn't realize I was quoted.

Comment

Hi, I am getting an error msg with 4.17.2 which says "This project requires the 'MixamoAnimationRetargeting' plugin which is incompatible with the current engine version". I thought this was updated through 4.17 . . . any ideas how to fix this?

Comment

Hi! We have two news for you:
              • we submitted to Epic the update for UE4.18 (it's already available to Gumroad users - check your account);
              • the new version introduces the previously announced feature "Generate Root Motion Animations"!
              The "Generate Root Motion Animations" action allows you to create a standard UE4 root motion animation from a Mixamo animation. To use this feature, you must import both the "normal" Mixamo animation and its "in-place" version. Unfortunately it's impossible to compute a correct root motion animation without both of them. After having imported them, select the skeleton, run the "Retarget Mixamo Skeleton Asset" action if not already done, then run "Generate Root Motion Animations" contextual action and follow the on-screen instructions (shortly: you must select the previously imported normal and in-place animations). You'll end with a new root-motion enabled animation for your character!

Comment

Hi, update for UE4.18 is already available on the marketplace (thanks @ Epic!).

Comment

Hello,

Your plugin looks just perfect but could you provide a Linux version once bought ? (in private of course)

Thank you !

Comment

Originally posted by Psychojau View Post
                    Hello,

Your plugin looks just perfect but could you provide a Linux version once bought ? (in private of course)

Thank you !
                    Unfortunately we don't have the resources to maintain a Linux version. Anyway it should "*already works*": add the plugin source code (available when you download it from the marketplace) in your project and it should work out-of-the-box. Here the instructions for Gumroad users to build the plugin for the "*source distribution*" https://we.tl/T1vDII62U7 , simple version: make your project a C++ project adding an empty C++ class, copy the plugin as a "*project local plugin*" (under the Plugins/ subdirectory of your project), when you open the project the editor should automatically compile it.

Comment

It won't let me install to 4.18. It says there are no compatible engines installed.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Aldridge View Post
                        It won't let me install to 4.18. It says there are no compatible engines installed.
                        Restart the Epic Games Launcher - after a new login it should detect the 4.18 update.

Comment

Restart the Epic Games Launcher - after a new login it should detect the 4.18 update.
                          I replicated your issue. I notified Epic of the problem.

Comment

I replicated your issue. I notified Epic of the problem.
                            Now I click "Install to Engine" and it shows 4.18, but, after I click it nothing happens. Doesn't start downloading the plugin or installing it. Very strange.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian Aldridge View Post

Now I click "Install to Engine" and it shows 4.18, but, after I click it nothing happens. Doesn't start downloading the plugin or installing it. Very strange.
                              The issue should have been fixed now, you should be able to download/update the plugin to UE4.18.

Comment

This plugin looks amazing. Before I get started, I'm hoping someone can clarify some points for me. I currently have three models that I bought on TurboSquid and while all are from the same artist, their dimensions aren't exactly the same (different heights, A-Pose slightly different). Do I need to standardize their size prior to submitting them to the Mixamo autorigger? Does Mixamo standardize the dimensions to its own models prior to rigging? I've tried importing one of the models and manually retargeted the UE4 animations to work with it, and it does work. As I understand it though, if skeletons are of different heights, they need to be retargeted separately, which means that I'd have to have four copies of each UE4 animation that I want to use (the original, plus one for A, B and C, respectively). Any guidance on this would be great.

Comment

Working...
                                X