Mixamo Animation Retargeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Piepants View Post
    This may be a silly question, but I'm trying to use a mixamo animation that actually moves the character around (specifically the thriller dance animations). I would love to convert this animation to keep the character in place instead of translating, but for some animations on the mixamo site there is no "in place" check box. Is there a way to convert these animations to "in place" within UE4? Thanks!
    Hi! Here you can find a solution to your problem using an animation blueprint: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post715134 But you could have your character slightly "slide" around. If you know how to modify animations in an external software (Maya, Blender, ...), fixing the original animation will likely give you better results.

Comment

Awesome I'll give it a shot, thanks very much!

Comment

Is there an ETA on the update to 4.17 in the Marketplace?

Comment

Originally posted by meuliano View Post
          Is there an ETA on the update to 4.17 in the Marketplace?
          Not at the moment unfortunately. We submitted the update to Epic on 11th of August.

Comment

BTW, for converting Mixamo root motion (e.g., root motion is on the hip bone instead of the missing root bone) this Blender script seems quite nice: https://community.mixamo.com/hc/en-u...ot-Motion-Fix-

Direct Github link: https://github.com/enziop/mixamo_converter
            Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

Originally posted by n00854180t View Post
              BTW, for converting Mixamo root motion (e.g., root motion is on the hip bone instead of the missing root bone) this Blender script seems quite nice: https://community.mixamo.com/hc/en-u...ot-Motion-Fix-

Direct Github link: https://github.com/enziop/mixamo_converter
              I read quickly the description, but it seems similar to the Animation Blueprint solution discussed here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post715134 . If so, it suffers of several problems. At the moment our solution (in testing) should be superior. If instead it works differently, I would be interested in the details!

Thanks for sharing!!

Comment

Originally posted by UNAmedia View Post
                I read quickly the description, but it seems similar to the Animation Blueprint solution discussed here: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...l=1#post715134 . If so, it suffers of several problems. At the moment our solution (in testing) should be superior. If instead it works differently, I would be interested in the details!

Thanks for sharing!!
                It seems to be doing something similar, but operates on the FBX files themselves. I should note I do have your plugin, and that this is indeed not a replacement for the broader plugin but just something to move hip translation to the root node instead.
                Storyteller - An immersive VR audiobook player

Dungeon Survival - WIP First person dungeon crawler with a focus on survival and environmental gameplay ala roguelikes

Comment

Hi there

Purchased this Plugin 2 days ago since we had super problems adding more Mixamo (fuse created) characters to our game (since ue4 export is not supported by Mixamo anymore), and it really does what it promises! Thanks for that great work!
                  I just have one problem: With the Mixamo ue4 export and retargeting to the animation starter pack from UE4, I was able to IK solve foot placement (walking up stairs and so) with simple X coordinate offsets (linetrace from foot socket to floor and calculate the height of the bones). However, if I retarget Maximo characters now (with your plugin) the pivot of the bones is not the same anymore. Meaningly I can’t just add X,Y or Z values to manipulate the foot bone position because they have a uncomfortable up/forward-vector after the skeleton retargeting.
                  As I mentioned, I'm using Fuse created characters with the animations starter pack from UE4 marketplace.

Does anybody know how to fix that issue before I'm trying to calculate and adding the IK foot placement in world space? ;-)
                  Should I not retarget the imported Mixamo Skeleton to the Anim Starter Pack Skeleton to retarget the anims to the Mixamo character?

Thanks for your help and that awesome plugin!

Comment

I purchased plugin through Unreal Marketplace and there's no 4.17 version (because Epic is epic slowpoke). It's very inconvenient for us since we upgraded project to 4.17.
                    Is it possible to get recent version from Gumroad or directly from you guys without buying plugin again?
                    I'd send proof of purchase of course

Comment

Originally posted by kjustynski View Post
                      Is it possible to get recent version from Gumroad or directly from you guys without buying plugin again?
                      same problem here... pls help us

Comment

Originally posted by Lord7even View Post
                        Hi there

Purchased this Plugin 2 days ago since we had super problems adding more Mixamo (fuse created) characters to our game (since ue4 export is not supported by Mixamo anymore), and it really does what it promises! Thanks for that great work!
                        I just have one problem: With the Mixamo ue4 export and retargeting to the animation starter pack from UE4, I was able to IK solve foot placement (walking up stairs and so) with simple X coordinate offsets (linetrace from foot socket to floor and calculate the height of the bones). However, if I retarget Maximo characters now (with your plugin) the pivot of the bones is not the same anymore. Meaningly I can’t just add X,Y or Z values to manipulate the foot bone position because they have a uncomfortable up/forward-vector after the skeleton retargeting.
                        As I mentioned, I'm using Fuse created characters with the animations starter pack from UE4 marketplace.

Does anybody know how to fix that issue before I'm trying to calculate and adding the IK foot placement in world space? ;-)
                        Should I not retarget the imported Mixamo Skeleton to the Anim Starter Pack Skeleton to retarget the anims to the Mixamo character?

Thanks for your help and that awesome plugin!
                        Hi! Sorry for the late reply but we were at Gamescom and returned today.

Thanks for the compliments I'm happy the plugin is helpful.

The old "UE4 export" option could have incompatibilities with the plugin, some other user already reported this and re-exporting the meshes with the ordinary FBX option solved their issues. Is possible that bones orientation changed, so at the moment I fear you have to recalculate the IK foot placement. Unfortunately Mixamo Auto-rigger exports orientations using at least 2 different "schemes" - so it could be a little tricky. Maybe - to simplify - you could change orientations in a custom animation graph.

Originally posted by Lord7even View Post

Fuse characters, rigged using the Mixamo Auto-Rigger, can be exported as "ordinary FBX" meshes. After importing into your UE4 project, you can apply the plugin on them and then retarget to the UE4 animations starter pack from the marketplace. Not sure about your last sentence, could you elaborate please?

Comment

Originally posted by kjustynski View Post
                          I purchased plugin through Unreal Marketplace and there's no 4.17 version (because Epic is epic slowpoke). It's very inconvenient for us since we upgraded project to 4.17.
                          I'd send proof of purchase of course
                          Originally posted by Curs0 View Post
                          same problem here... pls help us
                          Hi! I understand the problem but unfortunately I can't do that: the two stores are independent and we can't give "free" access to them (we don't have any practical way to to that). Anyway I wrote few minutes ago to Epic to ask for an update. I'll keep you update as soon as I receive a reply!

WORKAROUND: in the mean time you can work with the plugin on UE4.16 (or another supported UE4 version) and then "migrate" the updated skeleton asset!

Comment

Hello,

This plug-in works great, I have been able to take characters auto-rigged via Mixamo, and use them with re-targeted animations from the standard UE4 Mannequin. However, I do have one small issue that I do not know how to fix. After using this plug-in the character's shoulders are not in the correct position. Is there anything I can do on my end to address this? I can manually re-position the arm and shoulder bones by hand, but that is not a practical work flow when creating lot's of characters that have multiple animations.

Comment

Originally posted by zwswitchcase View Post
                              Hello,

This plug-in works great, I have been able to take characters auto-rigged via Mixamo, and use them with re-targeted animations from the standard UE4 Mannequin. However, I do have one small issue that I do not know how to fix. After using this plug-in the character's shoulders are not in the correct position. Is there anything I can do on my end to address this? I can manually re-position the arm and shoulder bones by hand, but that is not a practical work flow when creating lot's of characters that have multiple animations.
                              Hi! It's the next issue we'll work on after the update planned for mid/late September.

For this issue the main problem is to find a transform formula that can works for any character. For example this problem doesn't happens with other characters (at least not in a so noticeable manner - see for example the characters from the original Mixamo Animation Pack), so we have to understand better the problem.

Does this happen to you only on custom characters rigged with the Mixamo Auto-Rigger? Or also with already available "Mixamo Characters" too?

Comment

Originally posted by zwswitchcase View Post
                                Hello,
                                I do have one small issue that I do not know how to fix. After using this plug-in the character's shoulders are not in the correct position..
                                Same problem here with a mixamo auto-rigged character, problem only seems to impact custom characters rigged with mixamo auto-rigger
                                100% working with standard mixamo characters created with Fuse

Comment

Working...
                                X