No announcement yet.

Mixamo Animation Retargeting

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ahoy! Firstly, thanks very much for this asset. I'm having a bit of an issue getting up and running. Using the video instructions, after retargeting my mixamo skeleton to the humanoid UE4 mannequin skeleton, the problem arises when I duplicate and retarget an animation blueprint to my converted mixamo skeleton. The animBPs I've tried have been for marketplace assets that also use the default UE4 mannequin, and the result is the animations showing the converted mixamo skeleton's arms inverted and behind the torso (almost like handcuffed behind his back). Any clues as to what could be happening with this? I'm exporting my rigged mixamo character as default FBX in T-Pose and importing the FBX using default settings (at least it should be).

Comment

To be a bit more specific, I'm having this issue with arms folding behind the back after reatargeting/duplicating animBPs from Kubold's animset movement pro pack and the advanced locomotion r2 pack, which as far as I know are also targeted at the default ue4 humanoid mannequin.

Comment

Originally posted by Piepants View Post
        To be a bit more specific, I'm having this issue with arms folding behind the back after reatargeting/duplicating animBPs from Kubold's animset movement pro pack and the advanced locomotion r2 pack, which as far as I know are also targeted at the default ue4 humanoid mannequin.
        Hi! Two questions:
        1. Does the retargeted animations play correctly outside of your animation blueprint?
        2. Have you tried using them in a new, simpler animation blueprint?

Maybe there is something in the original animation blueprint that doesn't play well with the retargeted skeleton/animations.
        Mixamo Animation Retargeting - Stereo Panoramic Player

Comment

Hey!

1) The individual retargeted animations that were duplicated over have the issue, like I can see the arms folded behind the character in each of the animation thumbnails.

2) I did try retargeting the AnimBP from the UE4 sample animations package and the animations seem correct (they're all holding a gun).

So maybe somehow the skeleton used for the AnimBPs I'm retargeting from Kubold's animset and the advanced locomotion system are not identical the the skeleton used in the UE4 sample animations package?

Comment

Hmm one thought, could there be an issue of doing the mixamo retargeting with A-Pose and the animBP having been created from a UE4 mannequin in T-Pose? I don't really know what I'm talking about, but it does seem that the issue is only with the arms, the rest of the body is perfect.

Comment

Got it working! I had my retargeted mixamo skelton in A-Pose and was trying to retarget an animBP to it that was using T-Pose anims. Modifying my retarget base animation to T-Pose and saving did the trick! Huzzah for the learnings!

Comment

Originally posted by Piepants View Post
                Got it working! I had my retargeted mixamo skelton in A-Pose and was trying to retarget an animBP to it that was using T-Pose anims. Modifying my retarget base animation to T-Pose and saving did the trick! Huzzah for the learnings!
                Hi! Nice finding, I was not aware of this "feature" of AnimBPs. Thanks for having shared it!

Comment

Hi, i have a little problem while retargeting. Everything works fine except after the retargeting the shoulders are little to high. To fix it i have moved them down manually and then saved the pose, but the animations are still with the shoulders too high.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shoulders1.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	192.0 KB
ID:	1130782

Click image for larger version

Name:	Shoulders2.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	189.3 KB
ID:	1130784

Any way to fix this?

Comment

After some testing looks like if i move a Bone it doesn't save it on retargeting, but if i rotate it the new animation has the new rotation.

Comment

Hi!

As you experienced, I confirm that the plugin adjusts only the bone rotations, not the translations as they are - apparently - derived from the parent bone rotation and (scaled) length. Your problem seems related to how your shoulder bones are scaled by Unreal Engine 4 when the retargeting settings are applied. With the standard setup you should not have evident errors. I suggest to look at the "Translation Retargeting" options and play with them to tune your character (https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...onRetargeting/). The plugin pre-set them for standard Mixamo characters, but of course they can be customized to your specific needs.

Cheers.

Comment

Originally posted by UNAmedia View Post
                        Hi!

As you experienced, I confirm that the plugin adjusts only the bone rotations, not the translations as they are - apparently - derived from the parent bone rotation and (scaled) length. Your problem seems related to how your shoulder bones are scaled by Unreal Engine 4 when the retargeting settings are applied. With the standard setup you should not have evident errors. I suggest to look at the "Translation Retargeting" options and play with them to tune your character (https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...onRetargeting/). The plugin pre-set them for standard Mixamo characters, but of course they can be customized to your specific needs.

Cheers.
                        Maybe you can add an option in for this issue because every model imported from the auto rigger has this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by OverRated_AU View Post
                          Maybe you can add an option in for this issue because every model imported from the auto rigger has this problem.
                          The plugin already set those options to values tailored for the general case - the same values suggested by Epic in the documentation. If Epic will suggest different values (or if all the community agrees on other settings) we could apply different default values in a future update.

Comment

Originally posted by UNAmedia View Post
                            The plugin already set those options to values tailored for the general case - the same values suggested by Epic in the documentation. If Epic will suggest different values (or if all the community agrees on other settings) we could apply different default values in a future update.
                            This issue isn't related to epic its related to how mixamo auto rigger works, the values should be refined in these cases.

Comment

I just finished integrating this plugin with my Mixamo Fuse character and it worked perfectly. Make sure you choose the full (65) bone skeleton rig option on the Mixamo website and then just add in a root bone manually in your 3D package of choice. I think any issues stem from the fact that Mixamo doesn't have a root bone, though to be honest I'm not 100% sure a root bone is required for these animations to work anyway. Just re-target your skeleton then duplicate the PushableAnimBP and it will automatically duplicate all of the animations for you at the same time.
                              -TorQueMoD
                              www.torquemod.com

Comment

I'm a bit disappointed by this tool

I need to keep using the stock UE4 skeleton, can't add additional skeletons.

I was hoping this would convert mixamo autorigged meshes to UE4 skeleton

Comment

Working...
                                X