No announcement yet.

Train, Rail and Roller Coaster System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Recently purchased this and having fun with it. Works well in VR and has saved us a load of work as we were planning to create a train system at some point.
    Looking forward to seeing how it develops.
    Thanks for being so responsive to the queries I sent regarding scaling.

Comment

I bought this pack today, and it is saving me alot of heartache building my own track system! It is very well done!

For the project I am working on, I need to allow the player to control the speed of the minecart, however I am having alot of trouble doing this.

I basically have a setup where if you press space the engine acceleration is set to 1000, and if you release it is set to 0. That seems like it should work fine based on the parameters i've entered into the actor itself, however nothing happens when I do the same thing dynamically through blueprint. I've tried setting it up through enabling input in the minecart blueprint and with a player controller but I have had no luck. Is player input possible with this system? If so, is there any easy way to add it?

/EDIT
      Upon further investigation I realized that the acceleration value is used in the construction script. I managed to get it working by triggering the InitializeTrainCarriage function after changing the value of Acceleration, however it is still a bit clunky. Is there a better way of doing it?
      Last edited by tanka2d; 05-18-2017, 03:27 AM.
      Neapolitan Studios
      WebsiteFacebookTwitterInstagram

Comment

VR support?

Comment

[MENTION=58043]PXDN[/MENTION] and [MENTION=18480]tanka2d[/MENTION]; Apologies for the delay in responding, we didn't get a mail about the forum posts.

Originally posted by tanka2d View Post
          I bought this pack today, and it is saving me alot of heartache building my own track system! It is very well done!

For the project I am working on, I need to allow the player to control the speed of the minecart, however I am having alot of trouble doing this.

I basically have a setup where if you press space the engine acceleration is set to 1000, and if you release it is set to 0. That seems like it should work fine based on the parameters i've entered into the actor itself, however nothing happens when I do the same thing dynamically through blueprint. I've tried setting it up through enabling input in the minecart blueprint and with a player controller but I have had no luck. Is player input possible with this system? If so, is there any easy way to add it?

/EDIT
          Upon further investigation I realized that the acceleration value is used in the construction script. I managed to get it working by triggering the InitializeTrainCarriage function after changing the value of Acceleration, however it is still a bit clunky. Is there a better way of doing it?
          Glad you're liking it. There is indeed an easy way; set the carriage to use constant speeds (tick box in the options) and then change the max speed to the value you want. Here's a screen shot I used to test it out by using a random speed each time the key is pressed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	random_speed.png
Views:	1
Size:	119.8 KB
ID:	1128575

Originally posted by PXDN View Post
          VR support?
          Yep, while we don't have any specific VR implementation in there, it's easy to use it in VR and several other users have done so without issue.

Hope that answers both your questions, please shout if not and please feel free to bug us at support[at]polygonjelly[dot]com if you ever have to wait for an answer like that again.

Cheers,
          PJ Team

Comment

Quick update that this is compatible with 4.16, but if anyone experiences any issues, please let us know.

We are working on some updates that'll coming in the next week or two that will allow for more control over scale or trains and tracks.

Comment

Hello,

First of all, thank you Pollygon Jelly so much for this package: ) it's push my project forward so damm hard. Anyway, let's go straight to the point.

I'm currently working on some project. I need a functionality which allow player to change track in rail junction in real time by pressing a button (or pulling a lever). Simple switch, from one track to another. I have tried many options but still no luck. Could you please make my life easier and give some useful tips ?

Thank you in advice
              Cheers,
              Roman

Comment

Originally posted by Romansky' View Post
                Hello,

First of all, thank you Pollygon Jelly so much for this package: ) it's push my project forward so damm hard. Anyway, let's go straight to the point.

I'm currently working on some project. I need a functionality which allow player to change track in rail junction in real time by pressing a button (or pulling a lever). Simple switch, from one track to another. I have tried many options but still no luck. Could you please make my life easier and give some useful tips ?

Thank you in advice
                Cheers,
                Roman
                Hi Roman,

Glad you're liking it and it's helping with the project. We'd love to see some screens of your project if you ever feel like sharing.

For the rail junctions, check out the Trigger_Examples map, it shows how you can use a junction trigger to have a train change tracks. Give it a try and if you have any follow up questions, please ask.

Thanks,
                PJ Team

Comment

Hello again!

I just finished buying the system and it is really fun to mess around with.
                  Works like a charm. Really enjoy setting up and tampering with the settings.

I only have two simple questions that I was looking for the answer but could not find.

1. Is there any way for the pawn to get into or ride the carts?

2. How does one control the cart through another blueprint event? (such as stopping and starting on switch)

Thank you very much in advance and keep up the good work.

Comment

Originally posted by Cyrzo View Post
                    Hello again!

I just finished buying the system and it is really fun to mess around with.
                    Works like a charm. Really enjoy setting up and tampering with the settings.

I only have two simple questions that I was looking for the answer but could not find.

1. Is there any way for the pawn to get into or ride the carts?

2. How does one control the cart through another blueprint event? (such as stopping and starting on switch)

Thank you very much in advance and keep up the good work.
                    Hi Cyrzo,

Thanks, glad you're liking it and getting value out of it.

1. Yep, your pawn should be able to jump into the example mine cart or train carriages and move around as you'd expect.
                    2. Check out the example maps, the trigger example map is a good one since it shows how you can stop, reset or perform other events on the carriages.

Hope that helps, please shout if you've got any follow up questions.

Thanks,
                    PJ Team

Comment

Hey there,
                      I'm really enjoying the system! Is there a way to smooth out the rotations of the engine? Gradual turns have a sort of faceted motion. It's very noticeable with a HMD as a child of the engine.
                      thanks!

Comment

Hello Again

Thank you for the reply last time. I have been fooling around on two of the example maps and found the answer to my blueprint question earlier.

I just have one new question to ask.
                        Let's say i wanted the player to ride on the cart. Is there any way to attach the player to the cart so he doesnt slip or fall off at any chance?

As well as is there any way to make the cart jump to a certain point on the track?

Thank you again in advance.

Comment

Fantastic release!

I'm having a bit of trouble getting things to work for my project though.

What I'd like to do is control the engine location (and it's children) via keyframes in sequencer but I'm having trouble figuring this out. Any help is appreciated.

At a basic level I'm also confused how to stop and start the train moving.
                          /edit figured out the "Carriage State" in Sequencer.
                          Last edited by reedandrader; 07-12-2017, 05:50 PM.

Comment

Downloaded 4.16 version and encountered some problems.

The first problem is track up direction not setting, resulting in carriages not properly aligning. This was fixed through BP_TrainTrack, connecting the disconnected Set Default Up Direction node.

The second problem I haven't found a solution to deals with the carriage physics. The example levels seem broken, the coaster example cannot climb the spiral directly in front of it, other track examples cannot overtake an incline, the brake and reverse example seems to derail violently on repeat playthroughs. While some of these could be solved with a simple increase in acceleration we do not want to arbitrarily bloat our values, especially if this is not the intended scale of the values. There seems to be an odd interaction with ejecting from the pawn and moving the mouse around, but I'm unsure how this would be related.

These problems were found on a fresh install of 4.16 and download of the plugin, but if there's any settings that might be affecting this then I'd be willing to test

Comment

I have been trying to make a loop with the 4.16 version and failed for more than a week.

When I open the example maps, there are some tracks that do that, but I could not reproduce it, not even fixing the BP_TrainTrack...

Could you guys help me?

Comment

I have a question. I attach to camera for coaster and use property "Lean setting" why coaster rotation but camera not rotation follow coaster?

Comment

Working...
                                X