Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Train, Rail and Roller Coaster System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #61
    Originally posted by DasMatze View Post
    Thank you, but then the end of the track is missing (as expected).

    After messing around some more I noticed the tangents were causing it and I reworked the mesh building part (see attachments). It simply gives every mesh segment the same length. The length will differ from spline to spline (which is can give unrealistic and undesired results compared to your handling of the meshes) but it works with my meshes and is sufficient enough.
    Nice DasMatze, we'll add this as an option for the next update.
    [MENTION=1]admin[/MENTION] - Can we get the title of the page changed to [RELEASED] ?

    Comment


      #62
      Been having a quick play aroundwith this.... most impressive.

      Hacked together a workflow to put detailed points (crossings) in place

      I made a child class from the track and set its in game visibility to off
      Placed my point static mesh in game and used the invis track to lay out the two paths

      (also made a second child track class using my matching 3d track model)

      Made the connections as per docs and we have a crossing with proper frogs guide rails etc
      need now to set it up so as my point levers will switch track and animate the point blades

      Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	453.8 KB
ID:	1126264

      Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled-2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	314.4 KB
ID:	1126265


      Many thanks for a great product

      Paul G

      Author The Railway UE4
      https://www.youtube.com/user/401Sly
      Last edited by Sly401; 04-10-2017, 08:28 PM.

      Comment


        #63
        Hi Paul, we are well aware of you and your railway project, you kept coming up in every UE4 and railway search. We are glad you're using the system and that it's providing you value.
        Please let us know if you have any feedback or requests.

        Thanks,
        PJ Team

        Comment


          #64
          Hi PJ team,

          I have quitea bit of feedback (and indeed requests) I will drop your support a line and take it fom there

          Thanks again

          Paul G

          Comment


            #65
            Hello!

            I'm a bit confused about banking the track spline. Can't I just select one point of the spline and bank or lean it?

            I look at the track example map but I'm not sure how did it? It says I should be able to do it for each points...?

            Thank you
            Last edited by Lynkk; 04-12-2017, 11:51 AM.

            Comment


              #66
              Originally posted by Sly401 View Post
              Hi PJ team,

              I have quitea bit of feedback (and indeed requests) I will drop your support a line and take it fom there

              Thanks again

              Paul G
              Thanks Paul, we've received your mail and will respond shortly.


              Originally posted by Lynkk View Post
              Hello!

              I'm a bit confused about banking the track spline. Can't I just select one point of the spline and bank or lean it?

              I look at the track example map but I'm not sure how did it? It says I should be able to do it for each points...?

              Thank you
              Hi Lynkk, are you talking about 'Force Up Dir' example, number 1.11?
              If so, check out the option "Set Up Dir for All Spline Points" in the track settings. Then check out the "Up Direction", we have it set to -1 on the Z axis to invert it.
              This is a simple example, but if you're looking for a more advanced example of rotating the individual spline points and handles, check out the roller coaster example map and click on the loop the loop.

              If you still have questions or that doesn't get you what you need, please reply and we'll get you there.

              Cheers,
              PJ Team

              Comment


                #67
                Originally posted by PolygonJelly View Post
                Hi Lynkk, are you talking about 'Force Up Dir' example, number 1.11?
                If so, check out the option "Set Up Dir for All Spline Points" in the track settings. Then check out the "Up Direction", we have it set to -1 on the Z axis to invert it.
                This is a simple example, but if you're looking for a more advanced example of rotating the individual spline points and handles, check out the roller coaster example map and click on the loop the loop.

                If you still have questions or that doesn't get you what you need, please reply and we'll get you there.

                Cheers,
                PJ Team
                Thanks, I can invert with the Z axis without problem.

                But still it looks like I can't bank the track properly.

                The mesh "detaches" as seen on this screenshot from the editor:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	nG29EhU.png
Views:	1
Size:	694.2 KB
ID:	1126412

                What I'm trying to do is to have a curve similar to this:
                Click image for larger version

Name:	Iin2CQ1l.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	70.8 KB
ID:	1126413

                Or trying to build a 'corkscrew':
                Click image for larger version

Name:	0W6Fq3h.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	66.3 KB
ID:	1126414

                Is there an easy way to do that?

                Comment


                  #68
                  Originally posted by Lynkk View Post
                  Thanks, I can invert with the Z axis without problem.

                  But still it looks like I can't bank the track properly.

                  The mesh "detaches" as seen on this screenshot from the editor:
                  <screen shot removed to keep post size down>

                  What I'm trying to do is to have a curve similar to this:
                  <screen shot removed to keep post size down>

                  Or trying to build a 'corkscrew':
                  <screen shot removed to keep post size down>

                  Is there an easy way to do that?

                  Hi Lynkk,

                  Apologies for the delay in getting back to you, we wanted to make sure that when we did reply, that you had all the info you need.

                  We are submitting an update today that exposes roll options for the track to create the effects you're looking for, like in the screen shot below. We've been working with WDSX to test out this feature, since it's one he also wanted.
                  It's going to take a day or two for the update to get pushed out to the marketplace, so if anyone needs the files now, ping the support e-mail and we'll send them to you.



                  A bit about roll: We originally had this feature in during development, but removed it because it's not possible to set the roll for a spline point via blueprint. But you can set the roll for a the mesh. So if you're using this to build a corkscrew you'll need to rotate the spline point in the editor with the normal rotation tool.

                  We've added two type of roll for the track:
                  1. Start and End roll: Use this if you're joining sections of track and need the start or end to match up
                  2. Start, Middle and End roll: Use this if you're creating a single piece of track with roll in the middle

                  These of course can be disabled.

                  If anyone has any questions, please shout. We'll update this thread once the update goes live to the marketplace, but we expect that to be in a few days.

                  PJ Team

                  Comment


                    #69
                    Hi all,

                    We are currently working on an update for the system primarily aimed at people making roller coasters, but it's applicable for all projects.

                    The updates:
                    These include new options for setting the roll at the start, middle and end of a section of track, allowing you to create far more complex track layouts.
                    We'll also be providing sample tracks for each of these so you can quickly drop them into your project.
                    We've added tools to the track to visualize the roll at each location and to visualize the up direction for the whole track, or at each spline point (as seen in the screen below).

                    What we need from you:
                    If you have any feedback, if you're working on a roller coaster and need a feature, please tell us so we can get it in with the next update.



                    Thanks,
                    PJ Team

                    Comment


                      #70
                      Hello

                      First I wanted to start off by saying amazing work! Keep it up.

                      I just had 1 question.
                      Would it be possible to hop between tracks mid traveling?

                      In case I wasnt clear. I mean as in say there are 3 tracks and I am travelling down one at a certain speed, is it possible to hop from one of these 3 to another?

                      Thanks

                      Comment


                        #71
                        Originally posted by Cyrzo View Post
                        Hello

                        First I wanted to start off by saying amazing work! Keep it up.

                        I just had 1 question.
                        Would it be possible to hop between tracks mid traveling?

                        In case I wasnt clear. I mean as in say there are 3 tracks and I am travelling down one at a certain speed, is it possible to hop from one of these 3 to another?

                        Thanks
                        Hi Cyrzo,

                        Thanks, appreciate it.

                        Yep, you have 3 options to get the result you want:

                        1. Fake the top with a jump trigger, check out the trigger example map for an example of this, we have a track with a broken section, over which we place a jump trigger. You're probably going to want to check out jump triggers if you want any kind of a jump or hop effect in place.

                        2. If you just want a small gap on the same level that the train will carry over, you can add a track with no mesh in between the two 'real' tracks, this will create a gap between them the train can travel over

                        3. You can set the connection distance between two tracks to be pretty big, the train will then hop or skip between them (be warned, the train travels along the spline, so the bigger the gap, the bigger the hop, think of this as more of a jump forward in time style hop than a jump)

                        I'd go with the trigger option for any effect I was creating since it gives you more control and you can reuse it.
                        If that doesn't answer your question, or you can't get the desired effect, please reply here so we can help and so other users can get this info.

                        Cheers,
                        PJ Team

                        Comment


                          #72
                          Hi,

                          first of all, its a great value for me to have this plugin. Just at the right time!

                          Is there an easy way to miniaturize the track and the trains to much smaller scale?

                          Cheers,
                          Jan

                          Comment


                            #73
                            Originally posted by showpixel View Post
                            Hi,

                            first of all, its a great value for me to have this plugin. Just at the right time!

                            Is there an easy way to miniaturize the track and the trains to much smaller scale?

                            Cheers,
                            Jan
                            Hi Jan,

                            Glad you're liking it.

                            Regular scale tool in the editor will work for trains. For the tracks you'll need to scale your mesh.
                            If you're looking for temporary scale you can use a jump trigger.

                            Hope that helps, shout if you've any more questions.

                            Cheers,
                            PJ Team

                            Comment


                              #74
                              Hi all,

                              The system has been updated on the marketplace, the biggest update is for anyone building advanced turns or roller coaster system.
                              Tracks can now have a start, middle and end roll and there is a whole new example map dedicated to rolls.



                              Full list of changes:
                              • Added a option to allow the starting distance on the track to be set manually.
                              • Added roll options for tracks
                                1. Added start, middle and end roll for each track piece
                                2. Added debug options to visualize the up dir and roll options for each spline point
                                3. Added roll examples map


                              If anyone has any questions, trouble feedback, please let us know.

                              Thanks,
                              PJ Team

                              Comment


                                #75
                                We've added a demo based on several requests. Hit the escape key to bring up the main menu and select the map you'd like the view.
                                Download Demo (Including all example maps)

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X