Train, Rail and Roller Coaster System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    If a character (TPS) is inside of the train while it is going through the loop will he stay upright with feet on the floor the whole time? I'm interested in essentially having a playing level on the inside while the train runs through all kinds of obstacles, but I can't have the characters flying around inside on every loop or sharp drop.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hello PolygonJelly,

I'm trying to control a train using input. I know this question was asked in a previous post, but the solution of setting the Max Speed seems to bypass the acceleration process. In other words, if I set the max speed in blueprint from 0 to 60, the train will instantly be going at the new speed. I don't want to have to compute the acceleration, deceleration, mass, friction, and gravity in order to ramp up to the max speed myself. Is there a setting or option where, when the max speed changes, the train will either accelerate or decelerate until the new speed has been reached?

I have another question as well. I've figured out how to apply the breaks using the Apply or Release Breaks component. However, when I release the breaks, nothing happens. How can I release the breaks and have the train start moving again?

UPDATE: I've answered my second question, but I could still use help on my first one. Here's the blueprint for stopping and restarting a train engine:

Thanks!
    Bret
    Last edited by clone45; 02-11-2018, 02:52 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey there PolygonJelly,

Your system made my headaches disappear, thank you!
    I've dived into the blueprints, checking out how things are working and found one small problem. Tho it isn't really a problem, but a missing feature. I'm trying to add this 'feature' but with little success.
    If a carriage has a parent and you want it to follow in turns, the distance between the carriages are always getting lower depending on the trun size. Since the child carriage is constantly following the parent with a fix distance, it could be only solwed by changing it to a dynamic distance. The 'Distance from parent' value could solve this issue, but even if it's being updated every frame, the distance isn't changing between the carriages.

On the pictures, you can see the couplers in the turn are having increased distance than on straight. Any idea? Thanks
    Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The update is now live on the marketplace.
    The documentation has also been updated, if anyone has any issues or questions, please ask.

Update notes:
    • Spline mesh roll is now driven by spline points, allowing for more complex and interesting tracks (see section below)
    • Terrain tracks have been updated to use a control spline for better control (see section below)
    • Track baking added to convert terrain tracks into standard tracks (see section below)
    • New roller coaster example map added
    • New cable car example map added
    • New speed trigger added
    • New models, materials and demo carriage with pawn added for new maps
    • Added a map with lots of pre-built sections of roller coaster mesh (just swap the mesh for your mesh / track)

Last edited by PolygonJelly; 01-09-2018, 05:24 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Large update coming this week with a new roller coaster example map (with vertical drop), new speed triggers, updated terrain track, track baking updates and a cable car update.

We'll update this thread once the update goes live.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi all,

We will be pushing out an update in the next few days with two big features.

Movement Smoothing
    We have updated the movement of the trains along the track to allow for extra smoothing to be performed, this will result in a much more clean movement.

Terrain Track
    The terrain track has been fully updated and now comes with more options.
    We have added a control spline that hovers above the track, allowing you to edit the terrain track with more control and less moving around inside the editor.
    Options have been added to copy all tangents, or just the first and last, giving you total control over the connection into other tracks on level ground.

We'll post more info here when the update goes out along with updated documentation.

Thanks,
    PJ Team

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by MSchuster View Post
    Thanks for your great project.
    I've extend the BT_TT_Junction Switch. With a new variable in editor, it will be possible to count the trains before switch the junction.
    Maybe someone find this useful.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	JunctionTrigger_ConsistCount2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	1403450
    Thanks for sharing! Great to see people getting use out of the system.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Thanks for your great project.
    I've extend the BT_TT_Junction Switch. With a new variable in editor, it will be possible to count the trains before switch the junction.
    Maybe someone find this useful.

Name:	JunctionTrigger_ConsistCount2.jpg
Views:	2
Size:	204.3 KB
ID:	1403450

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi Accso,

The wheels / bogies are just a simple skeletal mesh with 4 bones, one for each wheeel that do a full rotation over 30 frames.
    The animation blueprint is very light weight and just plays that animation on a loop. The wheel speed variable is just the playback speed (forward, reveres or stop).

I've uploaded the FBX files I used to make the animation, you can grab them here: http://www.polygonjelly.com/products...animations.zip

To replace the animation you'd import your own animation, using the existing skeleton and then in the anim blueprint just set the animation that's playing to your new one.
    If you''re fully replacing the wheels / bogies then you'd need to import the new skeleton, setup the anim blueprint and make sure it's using the new skeleton and then set those in the carraige / mine cart as needed.

Hopefully that helps and gets you what you need. If not, let me know and I can do up a more detailed response.

Thanks,
    PJ

Leave a comment:

• replied
    We have just pushed an update to the marketplace to help build better track meshes and give more control over spacing and size calculations.

Thanks to czoog, lalala312 and blackhawk71 for testing out the update before it went live and providing feedback.

Three new options have been added to the tracks to control the mesh layout.
    ForceMeshToMatchSplineLength - Force the mesh to always match the length of the spline
    MeshSpacingAxis - Select the axis to base the size off, X, Y or Z
    MeshSpacingMultiplier - Multiply the mesh spacing

Documentation is fully updated and can be found: http://polygonjelly.com/products/unreal/trainandrail/

The update is available via the launcher now, if anyone has any issues, feedback or requires any assistance, please ask.

Thanks,

PJ

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by tarzancoe View Post
    How do I export/migrate from one map to another? Two people working on a map, one is doing the train system and needs to export/migrate to the main map. When I choose to migrate for a track, for example, it makes me migrate the track bp always the same one, and also wants to migrate all assets used all the time, which is all the plugin essentially.
    Hi tarzancoe,
    That I don't have an answer for since that's more of an engine feature related to migration for all blueprint assets and not something that's controllable by the train system.
    I'll do some testing and see if I can find something that might help you.

- PJ

Leave a comment:

• replied
    How do I export/migrate from one map to another? Two people working on a map, one is doing the train system and needs to export/migrate to the main map. When I choose to migrate for a track, for example, it makes me migrate the track bp always the same one, and also wants to migrate all assets used all the time, which is all the plugin essentially.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi I just bought your product, and I really like It but when I bring in a custom track it becomes distorted ,if I scale it, it just becomes a longer version of it and its a squashed
    version of it still ,is it possible to leave it at the length of what it is ,or do I have to make the track a certain way so this wont happen.

I am sorry If this is a newbie question ,so If you can point me in the right direction that would be helpfull to me, I purchased the track so its not an optimal situation for me if I cant use it like it is
    can I change the blueprints so I dont have to model it differently?

Name:	trackr.png
Views:	1
Size:	357.4 KB
ID:	1394120

Thanks.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    czoog - I did indeed and just replied to you with an updated version based on your feedback

lalala312 - You can indeed, I'll PM you now

This is excellent, nice to see people engaged and getting use out of the system, thanks!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by PolygonJelly View Post

Makes sense.
    I just added some options to control the mesh size calculations (which axis gets used) and an option to disable the always adding a mesh to match the spline size (no more extra squished one at the end).
    I'll send you a PM with the download link so you can test it out, if it works as you expect and you like it, we'll push an update out to everyone.

Cheers,
    PJ
    Would it be possible to pm that to mee too, am interrested in trying that out too.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X