Train, Rail and Roller Coaster System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Is it possible to connect different meshes together?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is a fantastic system you have put together here!
    Keep building awsome stuff!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Looks very interesting. Good luck with the submission process. =)

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by fender21 View Post
    Will this support multiplayer?
    Yep, it supports multiplayer.
    We don't have any replication enabled by default since that will be up to the end user based on their project. There are a lot of options in there, especially for the train, so having them all turned on by default would not be great for performance.

If your project just calls for a network replicated train in the style of Counter Strike (train moves from point to point, doesn't stop, kills if you get in its way) then you'd only need to turn on replication for the bogies (which hold the info about what track it's currently on) and then the speed / velocity in the carriage.
    If on the other hand you're creating a much more elaborate project where the player jumps between two or more moving trains while the carriages lean around bends and jumps, then you'd need to turn on the same as above but also the current lean effect variables as well as child carriage info.

So yes it supports multiplayer, but what features are used are up to you for your project. To help with this we documented every variable in every Blueprint, check out the link to the PDF in the first post.
    If you, or anyone are planning a MP enabled project please post here, PM or e-mail support[at]polygonjelly[dot]com and we'll help you get things setup as you need them, or answer any question you might have.

Hope that answered your question, please shout if it didn't or if you have any follow up questions.

Thanks,
    PJ Team

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Will this support multiplayer?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Shut up and Take my money!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by HeadClot View Post
    Hey [MENTION=725769]PolygonJelly[/MENTION]

Got a few Questions about this asset.

1. Does this work between multiple levels?
    2. Does the terrain train track tool support elevated rail systems? (Bridges)
    3. Are there any plans to support tunnels?

Just tested it out and it does indeed work, please see the two screen shots below, I just tested with with the level streaming in the content examples, I built the tracks across three of the streaming levels. As the new pieces of track spawn in, you'll just need to call the make connection function so it picks up other tracks around it, same as if you were spawning new track at run time.

The terrain tool will use a line trace directly under the track, and then places the spline point / mesh at that location, so if it's a bridge mesh it hits, then the track will be placed on the mesh.
    * See note in answer three about bridges / tunnels.

Yes, very much so. There's a million more features I'd like to add to this system.

The first of which I'd like to extend the terrain tool to that you can set the desired track height and then drag it across terrain and have it lay the tracks at the height and build the bridge mesh underneath down to the ground. Then the same for tunnels, have it lay the track and build the tunnel mesh around it.
    Currently the terrain tool is a simple one, it takes two points and adds the mesh between. If people are interested in this system and have an interest in having bridge and tunnel tools, I'd love to make them, I just needed to release this version to see if people want it.

So that was a long answer, but in summary; yes, I've got plans to build advanced bridge and tunnel tools as well as expand on the terrain tool if people buy / use the system.

Hope that answered your questions, if I missed anything or you have any follow up questions, let me know.

Thanks,
    PJ Team
    Last edited by PolygonJelly; 03-12-2017, 04:11 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by axell699 View Post
    This seems really cool. Could this be used to implement roller coasters for example? Does it support weird/upside down track placements?

Added an example roller coaster map and simple roller coaster models.
    Map took < 7 minutes to make with the system (took longer to make the models than to build the map ). File have been submitted to Epic to be included with the initial release.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hey [MENTION=725769]PolygonJelly[/MENTION]

Got a few Questions about this asset.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by PolygonJelly View Post
    Hi duyth, while we don't have an example of this, it would be possible.
    Each track is its own independent actor, when it's spawned / constructed it checks for tracks near the start and end points, if one is close enough to another track end point, then a connection will be made.
    So you could have some pre built sections of track, spawn them as you need them at run time and then just call the function to check for connections.
    So yea, with a small bit of Blueprint work, you'd be be able to spawn tracks at run time and form connections between them.

Let us know if you have any further questions.
    Sold! looking forward to seeing this pack

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It looks really cool

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by duyth View Post
    added to my wishlist. Will you consider adding ability to design/spawn tracks at runtime?
    Or, do you think it is possible to use this pack with https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...geon-architect ?
    Hi duyth, while we don't have an example of this, it would be possible.
    Each track is its own independent actor, when it's spawned / constructed it checks for tracks near the start and end points, if one is close enough to another track end point, then a connection will be made.
    So you could have some pre built sections of track, spawn them as you need them at run time and then just call the function to check for connections.
    So yea, with a small bit of Blueprint work, you'd be be able to spawn tracks at run time and form connections between them.

Let us know if you have any further questions.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    added to my wishlist. Will you consider adding ability to design/spawn tracks at runtime?
    Or, do you think it is possible to use this pack with https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...geon-architect ?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by PolygonJelly View Post
    Yep, 100%
    In the screen shots above you might be able to make out some of the upside down tracks.
    You can change the track mesh to be anything you want, in your case, coaster track. The same goes for the "train", the meshes can be changed to anything, so a roller coaster is 100% possible and would require no code changes, just some new meshes.
    Awesome indeed Looking forward to it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by axell699 View Post
    This seems really cool. Could this be used to implement roller coasters for example? Does it support weird/upside down track placements?
    Yep, 100%
    In the screen shots above you might be able to make out some of the upside down tracks.
    You can change the track mesh to be anything you want, in your case, coaster track. The same goes for the "train", the meshes can be changed to anything, so a roller coaster is 100% possible and would require no code changes, just some new meshes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X