Train, Rail and Roller Coaster System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hevedy
    Which origin is shifting? Yes, the examples come with speed control.

@Romansky'
    In your example you're just setting the attached track and nothing else. Check out the construction script, there are functions that take care of all this logic for you.
    The flow needs to be set the track in the carriage and then set it for the bogies, since they are ones that actually move the carriage down the track.

See the 'Attach to track' and 'Refresh positions on track' functions.
    You can use those for exactly what you want, or if you need something more custom, you can make a copy of those functions and update it to your needs.

Hope that helps, shout if you've any more questions.
    ​​​​​​​PJ

Comment

Originally posted by PolygonJelly View Post
      Hevedy
      Which origin is shifting? Yes, the examples come with speed control.
      "World Origin Shifting" as said is a engine feature https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-us/...g/WorldBrowser just asked if works with.

Another thing, I found you have the same problem I found while tried to make a train back in the time without your pack. On your sample demo, there is a train doing a loop with another one in one of the samples and you can clear see how the wheels move forward and backward because the spline curve error that the engine have by default, that can't be solved at all without make it on C++ or create a custom system, is even worst if you check it on a huge difference curves or splines with huge difference on distances and the wheels go total off of the train like up 5m off depending of the rail sizes
      Hevedy - Instance Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/hevedyinstances
      Hevedy - Image Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/imagetools

Comment

Hi Hevedy,

I haven't tried the world origin shifting, but I'll try it out and see if any changes need to be made. I have some new examples and updates I want to get out in the next few weeks, I just need to try and find the time to get to them.

Have you checked out the movement smoothing option? I added it to prevent such spline errors and keep the wheels in a constant location.

Cheers,
        PJ

Comment

PolygonJelly

I have a scenario that i want to make sure is possible before I purchase.
          Build a train with an engine and 24 cars
          I want to able to switch to a different track and leave a cut (a group of cars) on said track.
          A second engine comes and picked up the previously cut cars
          So I guess I am asking is dynamic parenting is already built in to allow for multiple train scenarios.
          Last edited by julez4001; 06-07-2018, 08:22 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by PolygonJelly View Post
            Hi Hevedy,

I haven't tried the world origin shifting, but I'll try it out and see if any changes need to be made. I have some new examples and updates I want to get out in the next few weeks, I just need to try and find the time to get to them.

Have you checked out the movement smoothing option? I added it to prevent such spline errors and keep the wheels in a constant location.

Cheers,
            PJ
            Interesting is there some packaged sample can view the smooth option working ?
            Hevedy - Instance Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/hevedyinstances
            Hevedy - Image Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/imagetools

Comment

julez4001,
              This is possible, the each carriage can have a parent or a child. Usually you'd set this in the editor, but there's nothing stopping you from doing this dynamically.
              There are also track triggers in the system, so for your setup you'd have your train run over the trigger, and disconnect one of the carriages from the parent.
              Then you'd have another trigger that reconnects them.
              You'll probably need a custom trigger, but that's all straight forward.

Hevedy
              Yep, check out the map: movement_smoothing.umap in the maps folder. It shows two trains, one with smoothing and one without.
              It works pretty well and you can tune the smoothing depending on what you want.
              You could build far more accurate movement functions for splines in UE, but this works well as a general use case for most peoples needs.

Comment

Hi
                Building a coaster I have mirrored a portion of the track, is it possible to reverse the connection points on the track sections so I don't have to re-build the whole thing?

Comment

Hello, I am taking your advice to modify the blueprints to fit my application. However, when I make a copy or a duplicate to have as a working copy, the self reference link breaks and it won't recompile. Any thoughts?

I have been able to make some additions and modifications to the original but if I make a mistake and want to start over, I have to re-download it from the market place and literally start again.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Comment

Hey I'm enjoying your package, thanks.
                    I'm making a HO scale model train game, I've managed to scale the trains down and modify settings like the boogie offsets and boogie distances.

It's working pretty well but I'm having some trouble with the Train Carriages Distance from Parent, it works okay for the first 1-2 carriages, but after 3-4 the distance starts getting screwy. I wonder if there's some imprecision at this scale?
                    GIF: https://imgur.com/a/KW1l2yX

Comment

Do the cars have separate material slots. I would like to add material for the wheels and for the outside of the car.

Comment

Hello super work !!
                        Is it possible to downsize the rails and wagons?

Comment

Working...
                        X