No announcement yet.

Journeyman's Minimap - Code Plugin for Minimaps and Fog of War

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This plugin is so awesome. I started a RTS project (all blueprint based) then started to panic when I could not find any well implemented fog of war systems. This is that and more.

Having said that, is there anyway I can do a trace or something similar on the mapfog to see if an area is currently visible (basically, I do not want players to build anything in undiscovered areas). Also, is there a way to exclude specific meshes so they always show 100% through the fog (i.e. on top of the fog).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
    Last edited by Maydie; 03-09-2019, 07:40 PM. Reason: Bumped for response

Comment

I got a small problem with the minimap...
      If the root component of my actor is scaled up the icon has a weird offset on the minimap.
      I am using UE 4.21.

Comment

Originally posted by Maydie View Post
        This plugin is so awesome. I started a RTS project (all blueprint based) then started to panic when I could not find any well implemented fog of war systems. This is that and more.

Having said that, is there anyway I can do a trace or something similar on the mapfog to see if an area is currently visible (basically, I do not want players to build anything in undiscovered areas). Also, is there a way to exclude specific meshes so they always show 100% through the fog (i.e. on top of the fog).

Any thoughts?

Thanks!
        Hey Maydie,

Way late response but in case you are still interested. The feature you desire is certainly supported! The fog of war is designed with retrieving values in mind. The function for that is the MapFog actor's "GetFogAtLocation". Because I figured that depending on your game rules, you also may want to differentiate between areas that are currently being revealed (for example you have a unit nearby) or have ever been revealed (a unit explored it in the past), the query also lets you control that.

For a simple check (revealed or not) the function returns a boolean that represents whether the area has been revealed or not. For even more advanced control, since the explored area has a soft edge, you can retrieve the exact revealed factor (which could be for example 50% if its in the center of the soft edge).
        Journeyman's Minimap - Available on Marketplace - Forum topic - Video

Comment

Originally posted by Namesis View Post

still waiting for a confirmation on this.. if this is already implemented in the asset or I'll need to tweek it.
          Basically if you have a fornite map and put this plugin and place two players on each map border they wont be able to see each other in the map or minimap, hence the question if there is a kind of persistant data to send the player coordinates and update the map
          Unfortunately there is no out of the box support for net updating icons even though the actors are net culled. A custom solution would be necessary for that. A simple approach would be to host the MapIconComponents on non-net culled actors, at the cost of replicating some actor locations double and the extra actors' memory footprint. There are more elegant solutions, but bottom line this isn't supported out of the box.
          Journeyman's Minimap - Available on Marketplace - Forum topic - Video

Comment

I am having a issue with the 4.22 version. My map reveal texture appears as a half circle with a very misshapen other half.
            I did not have this issue in 4.21.
            Attached Files

Comment

So i just got this from the summer flash sale and within an hour I LOVE IT.
              However, i have 3 things that i could some help understanding. It's more the render texture than the plug in itself.
              First, my level is dark.. like really dark. So to get the map to be visible, i have to turn the alpha on the texture render up a few pts. is there a better way?
              Second, the map is a little pixellated.
              Third, for now i'm using the bordered example; i may have missed it in the docs, can i resize the minimap as a whole?

Otherwise, fantastic work, I've wanted your plugin for a while now and I'm so glad I got it.

Comment

Working...
              X