Journeyman's Minimap - Code Plugin for Minimaps and Fog of War

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi,

I recently purchased the plugin and I am currently trying to figure out how to use it.
    I am new to UE4 and I am just beginning to learn how to code the UI widgets, hence I am looking for examples or tutorials on how to use your plugin.
    I am currently using 16.4.3 and I cannot upgrade the engine version yet as it is a project requirement.

The examples found in the plugin folder has some errors on compilation and cannot seem to function properly.
    Can I check if this is expected? If not, am I able to download the latest examples? The link in the market place is broken.
    I would like to check if you have any video tutorials, or is the PDF file the only tutorial you have?

I managed to solve a compilation error in the FogOfWarDemo as I found out that the BP_Minimap_example_RoomFog actor was missing and I placed back the link.
    However, when I run both of the demo maps, I am unable to see the two minimaps and I am unable to click on the minimap as shown in the "Overview" map.

Could you advise me on how to proceed?

Thanks and Regards,
    Allan

Comment

Hello,

I have 2 minimaps, 1 that is the background and 1 that is the normal circular map.

The map icons for the players on the background are correctly rotating with the characters, while the circular minimap has the player icons rotate but with a 90 degrees to the right.
      How can I fix that 90 degree rotation? I tried to change the "North Yaw" variable but it didn't work.

Also I want to rotate the icon when the camera rotates (using the third person character). If I put the map icon as a child of the "Spring Arm Component" then the icon changes location when I zoom in and out, so that isn't a solution. Do you have any other solution for it?

Thank you,

Regards,

Elie

Comment

Hello.

I want to change minimap aspact ratio (1:1 to 16:9 or 1:1 to 10:9) in widget.
        I try to change widget in my project... but It could some problem...

2. SizeBox widgth change.
        : The aspact ratio is not correct.

3. Use ScaleBox and SizeBox
        : Objective Arrow texture is not showing

Could you tell me how to resize map?...

I uploaded test project and screenshot.
        https://drive.google.com/file/d/1oxc...ew?usp=sharing

Click image for larger version

Name:	a01.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	108.4 KB
ID:	1489467

Thank you.

Comment

I hope you are still working on this project?

I'm currently in search for a hybrid world/mini map for a city simulation to track people.

How many moving objects can your map handle on the world map? Will it take 10 000?

won't need updates on every tick, so it could be throttled for about once per second, if your map supports such throttling (or if it can be added easily through customization). Also, what does your map support - and what do you suggest - for tracking 10k of moving objects: is it better to use sprites or dynamically drawn widgets (just small squares or circles)?

And will it work on 4.19? I see some complaints about crashes.

Comment

Hello.

I found solution for variable aspact ratio minimap.

Maybe... I should change my MapViewComponent's BoxExtent.

Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Namesis View Post

Correct. And no, I dont have custom visibility mechanic, just modified net cull distance on actors (npc / player / items)
              If you (on the characters/npcs) decrease the net cull distance to 4000000.0 (since its a topdown game, for example) the actors on minimap will stop showing. So yeah, after this they just disappear, so I was wondering if there is a way to have a persistent data or something that will keep showing those actors (lets say a party member) even after not being network relevant to the client (out of net cull distance).

if not.. maybe a future update with this? :P This can happen to anyone with a big map even with epic's default net cull distance, just saying.

Regards!
              bump to this /10char

Comment

bump to this /10char
                i've been wondering the same thing...
                Outer Planet Studios
                http://outerplanet.webflow.io/

Comment

Plans to update to 4.20?
                  Thank you.
                  Outer Planet Studios
                  http://outerplanet.webflow.io/

Comment

Hello,

I really enjoy this plugin but currently we are having a strange behavior which is probably wrong configuration...
                    When I`m adding a background image I set the size of image which 4096/4096 but the view is strange.
                    I have Squares in the background which looks like rectangle.

I have added an example picture for the original image and the in game.

What am I doing wrong? I tried to follow the documentation but without success....

Comment

Hello! I got a problem with the journeyman's minimap.

I got a night scene with low lighting. As a result the generated minimap/full map is very dark. Is there a way to add lighting to the generated world texture without having to add light in the scene? (so I can keep my nightly feeling in the scene)

Kind regards,

Stefan - Creative Director at Rebel Camp Games
                      http://www.forestsofaugusta.com
                      http://www.emberheartgame.com

Comment

Is there a way I can disable the fog for players/spectators? After a player loses I would like to disable fog of war for him.

Comment

Originally posted by SyedAman View Post
                          Is there a way I can disable the fog for players/spectators? After a player loses I would like to disable fog of war for him.
                          Yes, fog is calculated locally. Try executing this, on the client that should see everything:

Code:
                          AMapFog* FogInLevel = ...;
                          UMapFunctionLibrary::GetMapTracker(this)->UnregisterMapFog(FogInLevel);
                          If you're working in a blueprint only project, unfortunately UnregisterMapFog isn't an exposed function. For now, you can Destroy the MapFog actor for only the player that gets to see everything. Actor destruction is irreversible though, so the fog can't be turned on unless the player reloads the level (rejoins the server).
                          Journeyman's Minimap - Available on Marketplace - Forum topic - Video

Comment

Hello! We got some strange problem when upgrading to 4.21 version.

It took us a while to find out the reason of the blurriness of our FPS hands (When moving mouse or character) until we found that it`s the fog of war...
                            We then start to eliminate the possibilities and found that removing the fog combined material solve the problem
                            But once we remove it we don`t have correct fog of war in our map...

Could you please assist in this?

Thanks,
                            Doron

Comment

Hello! We are using the journeyman's minimap. Great tool! I am working on the SAVE GAME and i am wondering if there is a way to save the current FOG OF WAR information without saving all the data from unreal. I am also using multiple mapfog for a better resolution.

Thanks!

Comment

Correct. And no, I dont have custom visibility mechanic, just modified net cull distance on actors (npc / player / items)
                                If you (on the characters/npcs) decrease the net cull distance to 4000000.0 (since its a topdown game, for example) the actors on minimap will stop showing. So yeah, after this they just disappear, so I was wondering if there is a way to have a persistent data or something that will keep showing those actors (lets say a party member) even after not being network relevant to the client (out of net cull distance).

if not.. maybe a future update with this? :P This can happen to anyone with a big map even with epic's default net cull distance, just saying.

Regards!
                                still waiting for a confirmation on this.. if this is already implemented in the asset or I'll need to tweek it.
                                Basically if you have a fornite map and put this plugin and place two players on each map border they wont be able to see each other in the map or minimap, hence the question if there is a kind of persistant data to send the player coordinates and update the map

Comment

Working...
                                X