Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Blue man Vehicle Physics Plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Originally posted by StingR View Post

    I had that shaking thing too. If I remember correctly I fixed it by changing the "Max Substep Delta Time" value in Project Settings/Physics to the lowest value.
    Thank you, that helped a lot. But still the behaviour of my vehicle is unnatural.

    The most stressing part is, that the overlap events are kind of firing collisions. When I hit an object, which is set to overlap, it generates a physical collision.
    In some angles I get an overlap, in others I get the collision.
    My first intention was, that there is a different mesh to generate the collision. But there is not.

    Attached you see my collision settings.

    Regards
    Christian

    Click image for larger version

Name:	collision2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	105.5 KB
ID:	1524139Click image for larger version

Name:	collision1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	128.4 KB
ID:	1524138

    Comment


      Originally posted by xetura View Post

      I've been messing with the transmission shifting lately and have found that lowering the 'rpm multiplier' will allow you to use a little more realistic gear ratios. I've got mine down to 0.1 so far and can finally use a 4.4 final drive ratio. Despite this, I had an issue after updating to 4.20 that my test car wouldn't shift into 4th. I upped the torque and then it shifted into 4th, but this isn't realistic. I should be able to have lower torque values and still be able to shift into all of my gears. I've found lowering the drag helped with this, but I had to lower it to 0.5.

      Also look at your Drag value. Mine was set to 2 or so by default. I've found that lowering it to 1.0 or lower seems to give me more realistic acceleration (currently using 0.5 on my test vehicle).

      I agree with going up hills. I haven't really figured this out yet. Another issue I've been noticing is that the engine RPM is set to 0 when the e-brake is applied. I understand why it is from a programming perspective, but realistically it shouldn't drop to 0. I agree that certain things should be speed based.
      My drag value is 0,3 and my RPMMultiplier is 0,125, so these should be pretty okay values. Yes, it is kinda weird that you can't rev the engine while using the handbrake, same thing happens when you use the brakes and the throttle at the same time, so you can't do burnouts either. And yes, it seems this gear ratio thing broke with 4.20, I remember that it worked better in 4.19, maybe this is a bug caused by the new feature which gradually slows down the RPM between gear shifting.

      I get the feeling that this plugin wasn't meant for realistic fast vehicles, like supercars or hypercars and that the focus is more around the tire and suspension model. If you look at the game Blue Man is developing, the cars don't go much faster than 80-100 kph and from my experience vehicles behave the best around that speed with this plugin. Of course now we have speed based grip which - when used concurrently with steering curves - can give a huge improvement at high speeds.

      I've just noticed, that via blueprint it is possible to set gears and also force gear up and down (though I presume these are for manual gears), but I'll try and see if there's a way to make gears speed based.


      Originally posted by chricken View Post

      Thank you, that helped a lot. But still the behaviour of my vehicle is unnatural.

      The most stressing part is, that the overlap events are kind of firing collisions. When I hit an object, which is set to overlap, it generates a physical collision.
      In some angles I get an overlap, in others I get the collision.
      My first intention was, that there is a different mesh to generate the collision. But there is not.

      Attached you see my collision settings.

      Regards
      Christian

      Click image for larger version  Name:	collision2.jpg Views:	1 Size:	105.5 KB ID:	1524139Click image for larger version  Name:	collision1.jpg Views:	1 Size:	128.4 KB ID:	1524138
      No problem

      I just did some tests with your settings and it works for me perfectly, when overlaps are needed only overlaps are generated, when hit events are needed, only those are generated. I see that on your vehicle you don't have "simulation generates hit events" ticked, I have it ticked on mine and as I said it works nicely, so that could be the issue.
      Last edited by StingR; 09-05-2018, 10:48 AM.

      Comment


        After some testing I suspect my fbx models to be the main problem. I don't understand, why.

        I took the example scene and changed only the model of the standard vehicle. And the vehicle went crazy.
        You find a video of that behaviour here: https://youtu.be/sd3gGtVs_c0
        Interestingly the original did a little bump, too. Though it should only overlap.

        Attached you find the fbx models, I have used. They were exported from Blender with the following settings.
        Click image for larger version

Name:	fbx_settings.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	1524396
        The obstacles are standard UE4 cubes with the following collision settings:
        Click image for larger version

Name:	obstacle_collision.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	1524397
        I really hope, someone can help me.
        Attached Files

        Comment


          Originally posted by chricken View Post
          After some testing I suspect my fbx models to be the main problem. I don't understand, why.

          I took the example scene and changed only the model of the standard vehicle. And the vehicle went crazy.
          You find a video of that behaviour here: https://youtu.be/sd3gGtVs_c0
          Interestingly the original did a little bump, too. Though it should only overlap.

          Attached you find the fbx models, I have used. They were exported from Blender with the following settings.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	fbx_settings.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	15.0 KB
ID:	1524396
          The obstacles are standard UE4 cubes with the following collision settings:
          Click image for larger version

Name:	obstacle_collision.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	45.8 KB
ID:	1524397
          I really hope, someone can help me.
          The pivot of the wheels has to be inside the vehicle's collision bounds. I ran into this issue when I first got the plugin. If you want a tiny vehicle body like that, you could make custom collision boxes that extend to the wheel pivot area.

          Comment


            Originally posted by xetura View Post
            So, I've run into a problem while setting up wheel particle effects. I'd like to detect what surface the tires are driving on (physical material), but the problem is when I try and return the info from a suspension component on terrain, it either comes back as "default", or gives me an error saying it can't find anything. I've searched quite a bit and experimented and I'm not sure if I'm doing something wrong, or what.

            To be clear, it seems to work fine if I'm driving on BSP. It returns the surface material perfectly fine. But it will not work on terrain. Even stranger is the fact that my weapons return the proper physical material JUST FINE on terrain. Just not the wheels on the vehicle.

            A lot of searching turned up the same issue, but none of it resolves the problem for the wheels.

            Suggested fixes: enable "overlapping events" on my terrain, set simple collision mip to 1 and double checking my material settings to make sure the physical material is assigned properly. None of these work. I even tried using regular traces instead of sphere traces on the wheels and it didn't work. I tried changing the trace channel and that didn't work either.

            Again, it works with my weapon, but not the wheels on the vehicle. I'm completely stumped. I really need this working so I can spawn different particle effects depending on what surface I'm driving on. I don't want dirt spraying up on asphalt, or skid marks for asphalt on dirt, etc. If anyone has any suggestions, or has figured this out, please let me know. Thanks.
            I was finally able to test this and its been fixed with the 4.20 update.

            Comment


              Originally posted by Blue man View Post

              Currently there is no special interaction with the physics materials but I plan to create a custom physics material class with custom parameters and it would affect how vehicles behave on that material.
              You can get the material from hit information used for suspension calculations, it is exposed to Blueprints.
              While the hit information with terrain is now fixed with 4.20, the vehicle handling doesn't change depending on which surface it's on. This is something that I really need working.

              Comment


                Originally posted by Saiboat View Post
                Anyonre got this kind of steering working with this plugin? (Rear steering is inversed)
                https://youtu.be/2RfDhmiongE?t=2m29s
                Originally posted by Saiboat View Post
                Hey, I just bought this plugin.
                Any tutorial on how to get the replication working as good as possible? I'm having major issues with the regular Blueprints and the "Client" Offroad blueprints. Clients and Server keep getting out of snyc really quickly which makes this unusable in multiplayer currently. Any help is appreciated.
                please_enter_message_x_chars
                https://xmpgame.wordpress.com/

                https://www.xmp.overbounce.de/

                Comment


                  1. open up demo project from marketplace ("VehiclePhysics 4.19")
                  2. add more startpoints
                  3. play with 2 players, one client, one server
                  4. drive around a bit on server
                  5. drive around a bit on client
                  6. result: already both vehicles are out of sync https://i.imgur.com/BlUbQp2.png

                  I don't believe I'm the only one trying to use this plugin in multiplayer. How did you guys fix this problem??
                  https://xmpgame.wordpress.com/

                  https://www.xmp.overbounce.de/

                  Comment


                    Just in case, anyone cares.
                    I stopped using this plugin for the following reasons;
                    • The physics are in my case unreliable. The car jumps and shakes at low speeds for no good reason. I followed xeturas hint with having the pivots inside the collision box, which didn't change anything in my case.
                    • My vehicle collides with elements, which it shall overlap with. For no good reason. Other vehicles overlap perfectly, this one doesn't.
                    • The performance is okay but clearly slower than the default vehicle. In a mobile project like mine, every millisecond counts.
                    • With the plugin activated, I couldn't start start the game on my mobile anymore. That was the final problem, that made me stop my efforts. So I have no idea, what may have caused this.
                    As my project is in a scifi setting I decided to have a hovering vehicle. That fits pretty good to my setting.
                    Thanks to anyone who has tried to help me. Now I am going on with my other problems.

                    I hope for a refund, as I can't use this plugin.
                    But I have no clue, if/how to do this.

                    Regards
                    Christian

                    Comment


                      Hi Bleuman,

                      Your Car Physics plugin is absolutely stunning, much better in any ways then original vehicle, also AI plugin is so nice detailed with many controlling options and both me and my friend like it so much,really thanks for doing such nice and helpful plugin, just please let me know how are you connecting Blueman Physics in Blueman AI plugin (your other plugin - its default for Wheeledvehicle) I have #included VehiclePhysicsActor.h and override so I have node to connect, however when I switch out engine from 4.18 to the 4.19 or 4.20 I have issues that it can't find #include VehiclePhysics.h which exists.

                      I did everything to fix that error (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp...3?view=vs-2017)
                      but I can't override it in 4.19 or 4.20, stuck now for the 5th day (and of course, all that working smoothly in 4.18 and before).

                      Please let me know what do to? how to fix this #include or simply how you connecting BM Physics to BM Ai.

                      Thanks in advance.

                      Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_2.png Views:	1 Size:	54.7 KB ID:	1528686
                      Last edited by AstroMoonLander; 09-17-2018, 07:43 AM.

                      Comment


                        Originally posted by xetura View Post

                        While the hit information with terrain is now fixed with 4.20, the vehicle handling doesn't change depending on which surface it's on. This is something that I really need working.
                        This has not yet been implemented, it is something I plan on doing soon. For now you can chabge the settings based on the current physics material.
                        Originally posted by Saiboat View Post
                        1. open up demo project from marketplace ("VehiclePhysics 4.19")
                        2. add more startpoints
                        3. play with 2 players, one client, one server
                        4. drive around a bit on server
                        5. drive around a bit on client
                        6. result: already both vehicles are out of sync https://i.imgur.com/BlUbQp2.png

                        I don't believe I'm the only one trying to use this plugin in multiplayer. How did you guys fix this problem??
                        As far as I know this is an engine bug with 4.20, I will find the link when I get home.
                        Originally posted by chricken View Post
                        Just in case, anyone cares.
                        I stopped using this plugin for the following reasons;
                        • The physics are in my case unreliable. The car jumps and shakes at low speeds for no good reason. I followed xeturas hint with having the pivots inside the collision box, which didn't change anything in my case.
                        • My vehicle collides with elements, which it shall overlap with. For no good reason. Other vehicles overlap perfectly, this one doesn't.
                        • The performance is okay but clearly slower than the default vehicle. In a mobile project like mine, every millisecond counts.
                        • With the plugin activated, I couldn't start start the game on my mobile anymore. That was the final problem, that made me stop my efforts. So I have no idea, what may have caused this.
                        As my project is in a scifi setting I decided to have a hovering vehicle. That fits pretty good to my setting.
                        Thanks to anyone who has tried to help me. Now I am going on with my other problems.

                        I hope for a refund, as I can't use this plugin.
                        But I have no clue, if/how to do this.

                        Regards
                        Christian
                        The best way to get to me quickly for more important questions would be to contact me via my support email.
                        * This is a bug with the static friction system, lowering the max substep deltatime helps but I recommend lowering the sticky tires values inside the wheel manager helps, the ones on the wheels are deprecate. This is something that won't be an issue anymore over the next few updates.
                        * Wheels use linetraces or sphere sweeps depending on your settings and if your elements have that channel set to overlap it will still block the trace. You van avoid this by creating another channel and assigning in the wheel sertings to be used for tracing, also don't forget to se se to ignore on your elements.
                        * If you switch to linetracing in the wheel settings it is a lot faster, sphere sweeps give better results but are more expensive to run.
                        * This plugin is only precompiled for Windows, you can manually compile it for android.
                        Originally posted by falcons_123 View Post
                        Hi Bleuman,

                        Your Car Physics plugin is absolutely stunning, much better in any ways then original vehicle, also AI plugin is so nice detailed with many controlling options and both me and my friend like it so much,really thanks for doing such nice and helpful plugin, just please let me know how are you connecting Blueman Physics in Blueman AI plugin (your other plugin - its default for Wheeledvehicle) I have #included VehiclePhysicsActor.h and override so I have node to connect, however when I switch out engine from 4.18 to the 4.19 or 4.20 I have issues that it can't find #include VehiclePhysics.h which exists.

                        I did everything to fix that error (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/cpp...3?view=vs-2017)
                        but I can't override it in 4.19 or 4.20, stuck now for the 5th day (and of course, all that working smoothly in 4.18 and before).

                        Please let me know what do to? how to fix this #include or simply how you connecting BM Physics to BM Ai.

                        Thanks in advance.

                        Click image for larger version Name:	Screenshot_2.png Views:	1 Size:	54.7 KB ID:	1528686
                        Hey, thank you very much.
                        You can connect it without touching the plugin source. When you initialize the AI component pass a nullptr (or leave it empty in bp), from there use the outputs from the AI component as inputs for the vehicle, hope that helps.

                        If you want to do it your way you should add the vehicle physics plugin as a dependency for the vehicle ai plugin.
                        Last edited by Blue man; 09-17-2018, 06:59 PM.
                        Assets: Military Ammunition (Released)
                        Plugins: BlueManBPFunctionLibrary C++ plugin (Free), Blue Man Vehicle AI Plugin (Released), Air Resistance C++ Plugin (WIP), Blue Man Vehicle Physics Plugin (Marketplace)
                        Projects: Giants Of Destruction

                        Comment


                          Originally posted by Blue man View Post


                          If you want to do it your way you should add the vehicle physics plugin as a dependency for the vehicle ai plugin.


                          Hello Blueman, Thanks for the response, I list Physics plugin as dependency:
                          Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_1.png
Views:	1
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1528836
                          but on build it again says "fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'VehiclePhysicsActor.h': No such file or directory"

                          Sorry, did I do this good? Thanks.

                          Comment


                            Originally posted by falcons_123 View Post



                            Hello Blueman, Thanks for the response, I list Physics plugin as dependency:
                            Click image for larger version

Name:	Screenshot_1.png
Views:	1
Size:	27.0 KB
ID:	1528836
                            but on build it again says "fatal error C1083: Cannot open include file: 'VehiclePhysicsActor.h': No such file or directory"

                            Sorry, did I do this good? Thanks.
                            hey Blueman I just change it I update BlueMan_VehicleAI.Build.cs file thank you very much for the help man!

                            Comment


                              Originally posted by Blue man View Post

                              This has not yet been implemented, it is something I plan on doing soon. For now you can chabge the settings based on the current physics material.
                              Yeah, this is what I planned on doing in the meantime. I look forward to the update!

                              I was messing with the grip curve settings and can't seem to get the car to spin at low speeds and be grippy at high speeds. It definitely gets a little more grippy, but it is either too slippery or to grippy in both high and low speed. I can't seem to get it seperated. Do you have a recommended range of values for this to start with? And which curve type should I use? Thanks.

                              Comment


                                Originally posted by Blue man View Post

                                As far as I know this is an engine bug with 4.20, I will find the link when I get home.
                                Do you have the link for me?

                                https://xmpgame.wordpress.com/

                                https://www.xmp.overbounce.de/

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X