Blue man Vehicle Physics Plugin

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by papy123 View Post
    Okay. In what timeframe do you think it'll be released? Really hoping I can use it this summer.

I have no problem paying for it. But wouldn't it be better to just make the physics solver a completely seperate plugin on the marketplace? So people that not necessarily need the vehicly physics can still get the deterministic client side prediction. I'm obviously biased in my opinion since I'm one of those people but still. :P

The game I'm planning to use it with is a simple singleplayer rolling ball game. The movement system is done, the only problem is that it's not 100% deterministic. Will that be possible to fix with your plugin without any major rewrites required on my part?
    I plan to submit it this summer but I'm not sure how long the review process will take. Solver can be released as a separate plugin but I want to keep everything together because client side prediction depends on the solver and vehicle physics to function (there are a lot of vehicle specific stuff happening that requires references to vehicle components). But you wouldn't need the prediction stuff anyways only the solver. From my current tests it should be just as easy as adding the component to your actor and applyingforces to the component. It's still in the very early stage so I can't really promise much to be completely honest.

Originally posted by Theremin View Post
    Hi, I'm implementing vehicles sounds and trying to tweaks Blueman Physics settings to fit my needs, but I can't really understand all those parameters within the plugin. Expecially I don't understand the gear, gear down and gear up ratio. I tweak the gear up ratios to make the gear up shift sound good, but if I after tweak the gear down ratio it breaks the gear up settings... I really can't understand how this works. Can you explain this please? Or at least provide some safe settings to begin with? Thanks in advance
    Hi, gear up and down ratio basically determines at what point the gearbox will switch to a higher or lower gear. You can think of it as percentage of the max rpm, gear up ration * max rpm, it switches to a higher gear when rpm gets above that value, same for gear down ratio.
    Originally posted by xetura View Post

Yeah, sounds are weird for me as well. My engine sounds cut out whenever the car shifts, but it works fine with the Unreal vehicle's just fine. I noticed that the engine RPM is 0 while the car is shifting, which is completely unrealistic. Not sure if it's this or just some settings I need to change to make it work.
    That happens because of the way I'm getting the RPM, it gets multiplied by the gear ratio and the neutral gear has that set to 0. If you are using rpm to drive your sounds that's why it's cutting off. You could check if current gear is neutral and use some other value and if it's in a gear use current rpm.
    Last edited by Blue man; 06-09-2018, 01:18 AM.
    Assets: Military Ammunition (Released)
    Plugins: BlueManBPFunctionLibrary C++ plugin (Free), Blue Man Vehicle AI Plugin (Released), Air Resistance C++ Plugin (WIP), Blue Man Vehicle Physics Plugin (Marketplace)
    Projects: Giants Of Destruction

Comment

Blue man

Still no Android support in neither of your plugins?

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
        Blue man

Still no Android support in neither of your plugins?
        I got it tested recently with one of the forum members and it compiled successfully for Android, IOS and even consoles (can't support consoles, custom license and all that).
        The only problem I have now is that I don't have a powerful enough phone to test it every time I do an update (it won't even load UE4 stuff /: ) and I can't rely on other to do it constantly for me, I'm now looking into that to hopefully bring Android support soon.
        Plugins: BlueManBPFunctionLibrary C++ plugin (Free), Blue Man Vehicle AI Plugin (Released), Air Resistance C++ Plugin (WIP), Blue Man Vehicle Physics Plugin (Marketplace)

Comment

Hi,

When I start the game in Standalone mode, the car doesn't appear / Initialize. Everything works fine when I test in editor mode (PIE - 4.19). Do you know what might be causing this issue?

(can't support consoles, custom license and all that)

Also, will your plugin work with Xbox and PS4 builds? What is the issue exactly and why can't we use it for consoles? Can you please give more details? We plan to release our game on consoles so I would like to know if we should continue using your plugin or switch to an alternative.

Thanks,
          Last edited by Onoa; 06-10-2018, 04:43 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Onoa View Post
            Hi,

When I start the game in Standalone mode, the car doesn't appear / Initialize. Everything works fine when I test in editor mode (PIE - 4.19). Do you know what might be causing this issue?

Also, will your plugin work with Xbox and PS4 builds? What is the issue exactly and why can't we use it for consoles? Can you please give more details? We plan to release our game on consoles so I would like to know if we should continue using your plugin or switch to an alternative.

Thanks,
            Hi, I'm not able to replicate the issue. Does the same thing happen to you with my example project and does it happen if you migrate the vehicle from my example project and try to use it (will it spawn)? Also do you use some custom logic for spawning it or it is just placed in the level? If you are spawning it manually try adding a small delay before you spawn it, from a google search it seems like transforms for some things like arrow components don't get set in time and using that transform to spawn something will result in it not spawning.

What I meant by "can't support it" is that I don't have access to custom engine licenses for PS4 and Xbox to be able to test it for each update but the plugin does work on consoles if you can compile it for that platform (same for any other platform).

Comment

Originally posted by Blue man View Post
              That happens because of the way I'm getting the RPM, it gets multiplied by the gear ratio and the neutral gear has that set to 0. If you are using rpm to drive your sounds that's why it's cutting off. You could check if current gear is neutral and use some other value and if it's in a gear use current rpm.
              Yes, I'm using the engine rpm for the engine sound, naturally. Is there a different way? I did what you suggested and it works, but it doesn't sound realistic at all. The rpm sound jumps around too suddenly.

Has anyone else figured this out? It works just fine with the unreal vehicle. This is a deal breaker for me if I can't get it to work.

Comment

I tried using an Finterp To and an Finterp ease in out, but the results are similar to giving it a fixed value. It just doesn't work well. The standard UE4 vehicle transmission shifting works perfectly and transitions the RPM's smoothly when shifting into a new gear. The way this plugin is setup makes it unnecessarily complicated. Basically, I need to grab the last value before the RPM hits 0, and then transition that into the next RPM, which isn't known. And it needs to do this shifting up and down. Seems like a lot of unnecessary code for something that works out of the box with the standard Unreal vehicles.

Comment

I tried using an Finterp To and an Finterp ease in out, but the results are similar to giving it a fixed value. It just doesn't work well. The standard UE4 vehicle transmission shifting works perfectly and transitions the RPM's smoothly when shifting into a new gear. The way this plugin is setup makes it unnecessarily complicated. Basically, I need to grab the last value before the RPM hits 0, and then transition that into the next RPM, which isn't known. And it needs to do this shifting up and down. Seems like a lot of unnecessary code for something that works out of the box with the standard Unreal vehicles.
                  In terms of the simulation there is no difference if the RPM is 0 or some other number while in neutral, that's why I didn't pay any attention to this. I see what you mean, I'm targeting 4.20 update to include a fix for this. The rpm won't jump to 0 but it will gradually decrease to the engine's minimal rpm while in neutral which is how it should work.

Comment

In terms of the simulation there is no difference if the RPM is 0 or some other number while in neutral, that's why I didn't pay any attention to this. I see what you mean, I'm targeting 4.20 update to include a fix for this. The rpm won't jump to 0 but it will gradually decrease to the engine's minimal rpm while in neutral which is how it should work.
                    Right, I understand that. It's just when getting engine sounds to work, you have to give the cue file a few different RPM ranges for each engine sound range, such as:0-500, 500-1500, 1500-3500, etc, then do the fade-ins and fade-outs. So when the rpm goes from 6000 to 0, the sound doesn't work. I do think RPM should be separate from the gearing. If someone wanted to do a manual gear box and rev the engine while in neutral, they wouldn't be able to with the way its setup now. The vehicle continuing to accelerate when the RPM is maxed out would need to be fixed for a manual gearbox as well.

This is great news! I'm very much looking forward to this fix and getting my engine sounds working properly and easily. I really appreciate you engaging the community and continuing to support your work.

Comment

Hi,

Is it possible to include the system which will attempt to balance the vehicle when going off ramps in the 4.20 release update? I mentioned before that its a problem especially with front wheel drive vehicles when moving fast.This would be much help since it is the biggest factor that makes the UE4 vehicle physics appealing right now and not this one.

Comment

Originally posted by grujicbr View Post
                        Hi,

Is it possible to include the system which will attempt to balance the vehicle when going off ramps in the 4.20 release update? I mentioned before that its a problem especially with front wheel drive vehicles when moving fast.This would be much help since it is the biggest factor that makes the UE4 vehicle physics appealing right now and not this one.
                        Hi,
                        I plan to if 4.20 doesn't come out too early, I've been thinking about your problem and It might be cause by your placement of center of mass. For 4.20 I plan to add an option to set the percentage of how much torque will get applied from the forces that wheels produce (engine drive and braking).

Here are some things that should be in 4.20 update if it doesn't come out too early:
                        - fix for the engine component not stopping the vehicle from accelerating when the RPM already reached the limit.
                        - fix for the engine component setting the RPM to 0 while in neutral, from now on it will gradually decrease to the engine's minimal RPM, also revving while in manual mode and in neutral is going to be possible
                        - built in error reporting system using Unreal's Message Log system, it will warn you about some of the most common problems that people seem to run into very often
                        - fix for issue caused by anti roll forces
                        (not sure if this one will make it) - additional curve for sideways force based on the current sideways speed of the wheel, this can be adjusted so the vehicle can drift at higher speed but have more traction at lower speed
                        (this one won't make it) - Addition tracing options that should be more precise than currently available ones

If I promised to add something and didn't mention it here let me know.

Error reporting
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	Error-Reporting.png Views:	1 Size:	433.0 KB ID:	1490867
                        Last edited by Blue man; 06-18-2018, 10:07 PM.

Comment

Hi,
                          I plan to if 4.20 doesn't come out too early, I've been thinking about your problem and It might be cause by your placement of center of mass. For 4.20 I plan to add an option to set the percentage of how much torque will get applied from the forces that wheels produce (engine drive and braking).

Here are some things that should be in 4.20 update if it doesn't come out too early:
                          - fix for the engine component not stopping the vehicle from accelerating when the RPM already reached the limit.
                          - fix for the engine component setting the RPM to 0 while in neutral, from now on it will gradually decrease to the engine's minimal RPM, also revving while in manual mode and in neutral is going to be possible
                          - built in error reporting system using Unreal's Message Log system, it will warn you about some of the most common problems that people seem to run into very often
                          (not sure if this one will make it) - additional curve for sideways force based on the current sideways speed of the wheel, this can be adjusted so the vehicle can drift at higher speed but have more traction at lower speed
                          (this one won't make it) - Addition tracing options that should be more precise than currently available ones

A while ago you had mentioned that you were going to make a new example project with changing out wheels, engines, etc. This would be awesome if you could and maybe even a manual gearbox vehicle example thrown in.

I'm actually trying to figure out how to make it so the vehicle doesn't automatically go into reverse and the brake key only presses the brakes. I'd like to make it so you have to hit a key to shift into reverse. I also need to figure out how to make the automatic gearbox shift-able, like a real automatic and be able to turn the engine on and off again. Example: Car starts with the X key, it's in "Park". I can shift it into 1st, 2nd, 3rd, Drive, or Reverse.

Comment

Hi,

Error reporting
                            Click image for larger version Name:	Error-Reporting.png Views:	1 Size:	433.0 KB ID:	1490867
                            I did some testing with the center of mass and I found that it didn't really help. The *ONLY* thing that helped was changing which wheels were actually used because in my specific issue this happens when the front wheels would take off from the ground it would pull my vehicle into backwards spin (I was using front wheel drive). So i moved my vehicle to be rear wheel drive, which defers the issue until the back wheels take off but to me this is still completely broken. I still think that even if you add this ratio it won't solve the problem because the issue is that you *do* want this behaviour if the torque is really high, but as a gameplay perspective, I should be able to have a value that changes how much of this happens when the wheel is off the ground

Comment

Hi, gear up and down ratio basically determines at what point the gearbox will switch to a higher or lower gear. You can think of it as percentage of the max rpm, gear up ration * max rpm, it switches to a higher gear when rpm gets above that value, same for gear down ratio.
                              Thanks for the reply! That's what I was thinking, but I realized now that the engine sound breaks if I modify these parameters on an instance instead of the main blueprint. So that's why I was confused about it XD. Other thing, can you explain how can we get the current steering angle for a vehicle?

I'm also using interpolation to smooth out the gear shifts but I'm not very happy with the results. Also as you pointed the value of the next RPM after gear change isn't known, which make things way more difficult. Found some way to find that value?

Comment

Originally posted by Theremin View Post

Thanks for the reply! That's what I was thinking, but I realized now that the engine sound breaks if I modify these parameters on an instance instead of the main blueprint. So that's why I was confused about it XD. Other thing, can you explain how can we get the current steering angle for a vehicle?

I'm also using interpolation to smooth out the gear shifts but I'm not very happy with the results. Also as you pointed the value of the next RPM after gear change isn't known, which make things way more difficult. Found some way to find that value?

Nope. I'm waiting for the update before I start messing with sounds again. I'm hoping it works similarly to how the base vehicle handles it.

Comment

Working...
                                X