Blue man Vehicle Physics Plugin

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Blue man View Post

Hi, thank you for looking more into this, my plugin only needs the mesh for the physics substepping to work, position, rotation, scale are all handled by the Editor's actor component class so I honestly can't do anything about it.
    Sorry but it is your attachment via bone implmentation that is incorrect, you should have the equivalent (in BP) of manual attachment checked, your plug in coponent does not.

Further your understanding of vehicle behaviour seems questionable,
    your reply #4

Hi
    1. On the physics asset physics need to be enabled.
    2. There are variables like throttle slip to achieve that effect.
    3. Check my example, I have there vehicles with 5 gears.
    4. Speed is dependent on the current gear, What you have described is not really the case, imagine you have a vehicle on an incline and RPM is maxed out, vehicle should still be able to accelerate, increase the air resistance to prevent the vehicle from accelerating forever. I can add the RPM cap as an optional variable but it won't be realistic.
    You are Completely incorrect

at max RPM in a gear no further speed increase is possible.
    (Even if automatic with torque converter as the torque converter would be locked up by 30% of the rev range)
    The only transmission system that could possibly work as you describe is Diesel Electric.

Please do not dismiss us so readily, we paid good money for your (flawed) product because you promised to support it.

It needs some support

Paul_G

Comment

Originally posted by Sly401 View Post

Sorry but it is your attachment via bone implmentation that is incorrect, you should have the equivalent (in BP) of manual attachment checked, your plug in coponent does not.

Further your understanding of vehicle behaviour seems questionable,
      your reply #4

You are Completely incorrect

at max RPM in a gear no further speed increase is possible.
      (Even if automatic with torque converter as the torque converter would be locked up by 30% of the rev range)
      The only transmission system that could possibly work as you describe is Diesel Electric.

Please do not dismiss us so readily, we paid good money for your (flawed) product because you promised to support it.

It needs some support

Paul_G

Sorry but there is no "my" implementation of bone attachment, I'm literately using the default UActorComponent for that stuff. This is the first time I heard anything about this.
      I spent 4 months studying vehicle dynamics, vehicle won't accelerate forever, it will get to a limit, increase the wheel drag if you want to limit the acceleration.

I didn't dismiss anyone, I'm constantly working on fixing stuff and adding new features. I'm actively supporting my products. It is quite rude to say "flawed" when it is working perfectly for hundreds of users.
      Assets: Military Ammunition (Released)
      Plugins: BlueManBPFunctionLibrary C++ plugin (Free), Blue Man Vehicle AI Plugin (Released), Air Resistance C++ Plugin (WIP), Blue Man Vehicle Physics Plugin (Marketplace)
      Projects: Giants Of Destruction

Comment

Hi
        1. On the physics asset physics need to be enabled.
        2. There are variables like throttle slip to achieve that effect.
        3. Check my example, I have there vehicles with 5 gears.
        4. Speed is dependent on the current gear, What you have described is not really the case, imagine you have a vehicle on an incline and RPM is maxed out, vehicle should still be able to accelerate, increase the air resistance to prevent the vehicle from accelerating forever. I can add the RPM cap as an optional variable but it won't be realistic.
        1. As stated in my previous post, physics ARE enabled. There's something else missing. Instructions specifically for skeletal meshes would be great.
        2. The settings and what they do need to be documented or explained. I've messed with all the settings and still cannot achieve this. More explanation would be great.
        3. I did get it to work over 4 gears, but nothing below a 1.0 will work, it decelerates. This makes no sense.
        4. This is incorrect. The engine drives the transmission, which drives the wheels. If the engine RPM is maxed at 7000 rpm, the car won't accelerate anymore. If you're going down a hill and continue to accelerate with your RPM's maxed out, your RPM's will continue to increase and your motor will blow up. With your current implementation, gears aren't even needed since the car continues to accelerate with the RPM's maxed out.

That should work, you just need to set the proper data when creating a new one.
        Yes, I can make an "add a wheel" function inside my car blueprint and call it by a hotkey, but I don't want all the different wheel types inside the car blueprint. I tried making a new actor with the "suspension component" as the root of that actor, adjusted my settings and such, tried to attach that and it doesn't work. What would be the proper way to do this if I want to swap wheel setups on my vehicles?

Another thing I tried was detaching and attaching the engine component, but that crashed the game. Is this not possible? Or will I simply just have to modify the engine settings when swapping engine parts onto my car?

Comment

Originally posted by xetura View Post

1. As stated in my previous post, physics ARE enabled. There's something else missing. Instructions specifically for skeletal meshes would be great.
          2. The settings and what they do need to be documented or explained. I've messed with all the settings and still cannot achieve this. More explanation would be great.
          3. I did get it to work over 4 gears, but nothing below a 1.0 will work, it decelerates. This makes no sense.
          4. This is incorrect. The engine drives the transmission, which drives the wheels. If the engine RPM is maxed at 7000 rpm, the car won't accelerate anymore. If you're going down a hill and continue to accelerate with your RPM's maxed out, your RPM's will continue to increase and your motor will blow up. With your current implementation, gears aren't even needed since the car continues to accelerate with the RPM's maxed out.

Yes, I can make an "add a wheel" function inside my car blueprint and call it by a hotkey, but I don't want all the different wheel types inside the car blueprint. I tried making a new actor with the "suspension component" as the root of that actor, adjusted my settings and such, tried to attach that and it doesn't work. What would be the proper way to do this if I want to swap wheel setups on my vehicles?

Another thing I tried was detaching and attaching the engine component, but that crashed the game. Is this not possible? Or will I simply just have to modify the engine settings when swapping engine parts onto my car?
          I will check that stuff for you tomorrow, it is quite late here. I will be adding an acceleration cap for RPM in a patch in a few days. There is currently a cap but it takes wheel drag into account.
          Pure RPM cap will be added as an additional option so current system users won't be affected.

For some reason ue4 defaults skeletal meshes to no collision preset, just change it and it should work https://imgur.com/rDw3f3Y
          Plugins: BlueManBPFunctionLibrary C++ plugin (Free), Blue Man Vehicle AI Plugin (Released), Air Resistance C++ Plugin (WIP), Blue Man Vehicle Physics Plugin (Marketplace)

Comment

I will check that stuff for you tomorrow, it is quite late here. I will be adding an acceleration cap for RPM in a patch in a few days. There is currently a cap but it takes wheel drag into account.
            Pure RPM cap will be added as an additional option so current system users won't be affected.

For some reason ue4 defaults skeletal meshes to no collision preset, just change it and it should work https://imgur.com/rDw3f3Y
            Ok, thank you for your help.

Comment

I didn't dismiss anyone, I'm constantly working on fixing stuff and adding new features. I'm actively supporting my products. It is quite rude to say "flawed" when it is working perfectly for hundreds of users.
              So I take it you refuse to acknowledge a problem using skeletal mesh bone attachment and gettng double transform. ?

Have you tried ?

Perhaps you should give an example of how to attach a suspension component to a bone (other than root)
              or make it quite clear that suspension components should only be attached to a root bone.

Paul_G

Comment

So I take it you refuse to acknowledge a problem using skeletal mesh bone attachment and gettng double transform. ?

Have you tried ?

Perhaps you should give an example of how to attach a suspension component to a bone (other than root)
                or make it quite clear that suspension components should only be attached to a root bone.

Paul_G

Give me a video or something, I can't fix something by guessing what the problem actually is, I was not able to reproduce it on my end. (Or I'm testing the wrong thing)
                Last edited by Blue man; 12-20-2017, 11:32 PM.

Comment

A simplified skeletal mesh
                  ​​
                  It has a beam and 2 bogies that can swivel

​​
                  Set up as a Physics Vehicle actor..Tagged as Main
                  4 suspension components attached to each bogie using the bone parent

​​
                  In game before any movement or rotation applied

​applying some rotation, the wheel meshes follow the bogie rotation but the collision spheres maintain the rotation of the root bone with double the transform applied

EDIT... the wheel meshes do come from the suspension component.
                  so the meshes behave correctly but the collision spheres do not
                  Hope this helps explain

Paul_G
                  Last edited by Sly401; 12-20-2017, 11:56 PM.

Comment

A simplified skeletal mesh
                    ​​
                    It has a beam and 2 bogies that can swivel

​​
                    Set up as a Physics Vehicle actor..Tagged as Main
                    4 suspension components attached to each bogie using the bone parent

​​
                    In game before any movement or rotation applied

​applying some rotation, the wheel meshes follow the bogie rotation but the collision spheres maintain the rotation of the root bone with double the transform applied

EDIT... the wheel meshes do come from the suspension component.
                    so the meshes behave correctly but the collision spheres do not
                    Hope this helps explain

Paul_G
                    Thank you for giving me more details on this, now I understand what the problem actually is. I will look into this and update you with any progress.

Comment

A new problem I've noticed is my wheels falling into the terrain when ramming another vehicle or getting close to my interactable meshes on the terrain. I thought this was just a problem with BSP's, but it's doing it on my terrain as well. I was able to get the Skeletal mesh to work with the collision settings you provided. Thank you.
                      Last edited by xetura; 12-21-2017, 01:50 AM.

Comment

This is when I get within the "interactable" area. I changed the collision sphere to a "trigger" instead of "overlapalldynamic" and that seems to fix it. So we're all good there.

Click image for larger version  Name:	blueman_collision_bug_01.jpg Views:	2 Size:	221.1 KB ID:	1403070

But this still seems to be an issue. While ramming another vehicle, my vehicle sometimes comes down at an angle and that's when the wheels sink through the terrain.

Click image for larger version  Name:	blueman_collision_bug_02.jpg Views:	2 Size:	189.5 KB ID:	1403071
                        Click image for larger version  Name:	blueman_collision_bug_03.jpg Views:	2 Size:	179.3 KB ID:	1403072

Comment

Originally posted by xetura View Post
                          This is when I get within the "interactable" area. I changed the collision sphere to a "trigger" instead of "overlapalldynamic" and that seems to fix it. So we're all good there.

Click image for larger version Name:	blueman_collision_bug_01.jpg Views:	2 Size:	221.1 KB ID:	1403070

But this still seems to be an issue. While ramming another vehicle, my vehicle sometimes comes down at an angle and that's when the wheels sink through the terrain.

Click image for larger version Name:	blueman_collision_bug_02.jpg Views:	2 Size:	189.5 KB ID:	1403071
                          Click image for larger version Name:	blueman_collision_bug_03.jpg Views:	2 Size:	179.3 KB ID:	1403072
                          Suspension components fire a trace from their position so make sure they are inside the collision bounds.

Comment

Sly401
                            found the source of the problem, basically when you attach it to a bone local offsets gets calculated from the center of that bone and not the center of the vehicle, currently working to get that working properly and thanks again for giving me more info on this.

Edit: The issue has been fixed, a patch is coming in a few days.
                            Last edited by Blue man; 12-21-2017, 09:08 AM.

Comment

HI great news, your efforts are appreciated, I can upload the basic test asset if it would help

Thanks

Paul_G

Edit, I might add that I am also seeing double the rotation rate of the wheels, wheel dia etc is set in the suspension component.
                              Halving the diameter appears to give correct revolutions of the wheel meshes..... maybe related and maybe skeletal mesh specific.
                              Last edited by Sly401; 12-21-2017, 11:06 AM.

Comment

Suspension components fire a trace from their position so make sure they are inside the collision bounds.
                                Inside which collision bounds? The wheel mesh? The vehicle mesh? I've tried offsetting the wheels, making them bigger, smaller, etc... and I always get a wheel falling through the terrain.

Click image for larger version

Name:	blueman_collision_bug_06.jpg
Views:	30
Size:	289.1 KB
ID:	1403370

Comment

Working...
                                X