Advanced Locomotion System V3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Kia ora

Am I right in thinking if I create a project I can then import a height-map etc and make a wee world for learning/testing. I'm just not into that wee platform limitation to play round in, having a wee terrain to work on suits me better.

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi-Hawk View Post
      Kia ora

Am I right in thinking if I create a project I can then import a height-map etc and make a wee world for learning/testing. I'm just not into that wee platform limitation to play round in, having a wee terrain to work on suits me better.
      I don't see why you couldn't do that. Please remember, I've just provided some things that may help other people in their efforts of developing a game. My system does not contain everything a game needs, its just a very small part of everything involved. I am also not here to help others develop their project on an individual basis, or walk them through how to do things outside of the scope of my system. All of that is the responsibility of each individual, and it is up to them to learn how to achieve their goals on their own, using existing tutorials / documentation. Please take the time to learn how to use the engine, as I cannot aid you with anything un-related to my locomotion system.

Comment

Kia ora

Thank you, I do inderstand I was just looking for a starting point there is a lot to learn and know where to start can save a lot of wasted effort. I wonder if a couple of links to relavent tutorials in your OP would not have save a lot of this greef Sir,.. Given there are many roads to Rome a pointer in the best direction might be helpful. just a thought, any way thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Kiwi-Hawk View Post
          Kia ora

Thank you, I do inderstand I was just looking for a starting point there is a lot to learn and know where to start can save a lot of wasted effort. I wonder if a couple of links to relavent tutorials in your OP would not have save a lot of this greef Sir,.. Given there are many roads to Rome a pointer in the best direction might be helpful. just a thought, any way thanks
          Ok sure.

Well first and foremost Id check out UE4's youtube channel. They have a TON of great stuff for beginners, intro videos, tutorial series, stuff like that. Its definitely the first place I'd start.

Here's a link to their "Getting Started' section where the have a lot of great playlists. Most of it is on older engine versions, but all of the knowledge should carry over easily, the only major difference might be changes to the User Interface.

- https://www.youtube.com/user/UnrealD...dd&shelf_id=17

They also record their live training sessions and post them on their channel as well. Some of it is in a playlist, others are single videos. Since they go though things fairly quickly I'd hold off on those until you are comfortable with the different parts of the editor.

Another great place to check out is the "Learn' tab in the Epic Games Launcher. You can find a whole bunch of useful resources there, and they also have a ton of Free sample projects that you can download and try out in-engine. The 'Content Examples' project is one of my favorites and I refer back to it regularly when learning new things.

There are definitely other good resources out there (other Youtube Channels, training sites, subscription based stuff, etc.), but what I mentioned above is more than enough to get you on your feet, and I'd recommend sticking to what Epic provided for a while until you get used to working with the engine.

To be honest I'm still very much a beginner. Everything I really know has come from the resources I mentioned or from just figuring it out on my own. Ive only been using UE4 for about 2 years maybe, and just in my free time when I don't have school. This Locomotion system has been my first real project in UE4, but its been one heck of a learning experience. Seriously just take it slow, learn a bit here and there, and try to do some things on your own, its the best way to learn.

Comment

Hey. I am newbie. Who can help please. I made a character retarget, but why does my character move like this and how to fix it.
            Click image for larger version

Name:	error.png
Views:	1
Size:	926.9 KB
ID:	1125845

Comment

ControlRotation / GetActorRotation

The ALS AnimBP currently uses GetControlRotation on the pawn to get the rotator to use as it's control rotation. That won't work for an AI character when networking - the client pawn doesn't have a controller, so GetControlRotation always returns 0. Player Controllers don't have that problem. A standard AI controller calls UpdateControlRotation on Tick which queries ControlRotation - including checking focal point, calls SetControlRotation to update it, then updates the Pawn - calling FaceRotation on the pawn which if bUseControllerRotationPitch / bUseControllerRotationYaw / bUseControllerRotationRoll are set, uses the control values to call SetActorRotation. ALS only sets bUseControllerRotationYaw. Actor rotation is replicated, plus the AIController exists on the server, so network clients see the correct actor rotation.
              So long winded explanation, but replacing the GetControlRotation with GetActorRotation inside SetVariablesFromCharacterBP will be a step towards making ALS network friendly - without changing behaviour.

-Brian.

Comment

I'm having the exact same problem as frodon. Retargeted from Fuze. It seems to be using the wrong axis. I'll have to dig into it more.

Comment

[MENTION=64164]kin[/MENTION]gTumTum101

Bought this today, tested it quickly on my lunch break and tweaked a few things just to get to learn the system. Great work!

I'd like to be able to add in some anims for my bowman but I understand I'd have to retarget the anims to your skeleton as it's not the Epic Skeleton, right? Then figure a way to add another combat state. Might be fun trying, any pointers?

So when this big update comes where you mention you may have had to rework it from the ground up, will it be best to hold off on trying to integrate this into an existing project then until you release that?

I have no end of prototypes I end up abandoning due to deep integration of some marketplace plugin or system on one version, then they release a new version and it breaks everything and I can't clean it up and get it working again!
                  I assume this won't be like that, right?

Thx a lot,
                  Daz

Comment

Originally posted by fordon View Post
                    Hey. I am newbie. Who can help please. I made a character retarget, but why does my character move like this and how to fix it.
                    As I'm having the same problem with a mixamo Fuse Character (assume you are in the same boat) I found that the issue was that the root bone was hips. which was rotated 90 degrees so when it tried to turn in place it rolled instead.

EDIT: I fixed this by exporting the mesh, opening it up on Max and link in the root node. Then re-imported the mesh. It prompted me to regenerate the skeleton and then it worked.
                    Last edited by Justin.Dooley; 04-05-2017, 01:03 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by dazuk1978 View Post
                      [MENTION=64164]kin[/MENTION]gTumTum101

Bought this today, tested it quickly on my lunch break and tweaked a few things just to get to learn the system. Great work!

I'd like to be able to add in some anims for my bowman but I understand I'd have to retarget the anims to your skeleton as it's not the Epic Skeleton, right? Then figure a way to add another combat state. Might be fun trying, any pointers?

So when this big update comes where you mention you may have had to rework it from the ground up, will it be best to hold off on trying to integrate this into an existing project then until you release that?

I have no end of prototypes I end up abandoning due to deep integration of some marketplace plugin or system on one version, then they release a new version and it breaks everything and I can't clean it up and get it working again!
                      I assume this won't be like that, right?

Thx a lot,
                      Daz
                      Retargeting animations is up to you. You could use all of your own animations, or mix the two. You could add another combat state by adding to the Locomotion State Enum, and then filling in the needed parts of the graph, or replace a state with other anims.

As far as the update, there will be a good amount of changes. The end result will be pretty much the same, but the graphs will be different. I would hold off on integration until the update, since the system should be easier to work with.

Comment

Originally posted by SciMana
                        Hi HP, running into the same issue as this. Could you tell me specifically how you redo the axis mappings to the naming conventions? Many Thanks
                        I think I mentioned it on my comment, go to project settings and redo the Axis Mappings according to the naming conventions in the BP.

Click image for larger version

Name:	sML8Nnk.png
Views:	1
Size:	142.9 KB
ID:	1126221

Looking forward to your update KingTumTum101, and for a more robust documentation on this. The current documentation is good, but it could be worked on a little bit further.
                        There's no mention on how should we approach using a custom character with this system and results in people having sort of trial and error their way out of problems.

Thanks so much,
                        HP
                        http://www.helderpinto.com/

Comment

Originally posted by [HP] View Post
                          Looking forward to your update KingTumTum101, and for a more robust documentation on this. The current documentation is good, but it could be worked on a little bit further.
                          There's no mention on how should we approach using a custom character with this system and results in people having sort of trial and error their way out of problems.
                          Agreed. 2 things that would be great additions. An example of how to add a new state (say crouching for something easy) and how to use a custom character (the whole retargeting and adjusting) There are lots of tutorials out there but integrating them with your system is a bit different.

Comment

Originally posted by Justin.Dooley View Post
                            Agreed. 2 things that would be great additions. An example of how to add a new state (say crouching for something easy) and how to use a custom character (the whole retargeting and adjusting) There are lots of tutorials out there but integrating them with your system is a bit different.
                            Trying to write documentation that covers everything and explains everything thoroughly can be tough, so instead I am planning on making a series of private videos for buyers that will cover various topics like this. That way it can be a little more interactive, and I can walk new users through various steps.

Comment

Originally posted by KingTumTum101 View Post
                              instead I am planning on making a series of private videos for buyers that will cover various topics like this.
                              I assume this will be with the new system? Is there any ETA on that? Currently I'm prototyping with 1.0 but don't want to get too deep into it until the new system comes out (as you suggested)

Comment

when is ready update multiplayer?

Comment

Working...
                                X