No announcement yet.

Advanced Locomotion System V3

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've been working with this system for a few weeks now. Let me preface by saying I have about five years experience with blueprints in UE4.

The first thing I did was remove all the multiplayer logic. My game is single player so I have no need for the extra headache. That was fairly straightforward.

The second thing I did was move everything from the Movement Component to the Character and delete the Movement Component. I found the extra communication between the character, the anim BP and the component to be VERY distracting. This was also relatively easy, but it was a lot of work.

I then added crouch and prone, swimming and a pretty good dynamic climbing system with some success and some failure.

Look, first off, let me say that this system works fantastic.. as it is. You have done an amazing job here and I commend you for that. The learning aspect alone is worth the price.

Here are my main issues:
    1. The documentation is technically good but by in large useless. It focuses on the what and not on the why and how.
    2. The system is WAAAAAAAY to complex and convoluted. I found myself spending so much time just simplifying stuff.
    3. Making additions requires changes in too many places, and keeping track of it all is a complete nightmare.
    To those wondering if this system is worth their time, it depends. If you are going to dissect it for learning, or swap out the character and use it as is, then yes it's definitely worth it.
    If you are wanting to extend on it like I have, be warned. It will waste many days of your life and drive you insane.

As of today, unfortunately, my patience has been exhausted and I've given up on this system. Looking at other options.

Comment

Does this system need the IK bones? (ik_foot_root, ik_foot_l etc.)

My characters dont have the IK bones, and it seems a little impossible to add them without redoing all the animations..

edit: I added the postprocess bp and changed the bones. But the foot placement and inplace turn dont work.. any idea?
      Last edited by BulleTime; 02-04-2018, 10:32 AM.

Comment

I figured out how to edit the rotation graph so that the character rotates with the camera when aiming. I had to search through the comment section on the marketplace. Having figured that out, I am 100% satisfied with this system. If anyone is trying to make a TPS or FPS game and can't figure out how to get the character to rotate with the camera, please email me at tnclark1988@gmail.com, I will try and respond as quickly as I can.
        Last edited by TClark1988; 02-13-2018, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by CrimsonWingzz View Post
          Sadly this entire system just feels super wonky, I'm pretty sure what Neste stated is what's causing my errors, it seems as if Root Motion won't exactly play in the correct direction because of the Capsule sticking in one direction, after looking through all of the blueprints, I'm not exactly sure how I can resolve this issue, and I'm thinking of completely disregarding this animation system soon, it's not clean sadly.

I did notice however that animations/abilities are playing properly on the server-side (for the most part), so it seems like this might be a replication problem.

EDIT: Seems like the mesh goes back to 0,0,0 when an AnimMontage is playing, the capsule however works from what I can see, but the root motion just doesn't want to work...

EDIT2: May have found a fix, added my 'PlayingAbility' boolean in the Shouldn'tRotate function

EDIT3: I had to edit a lot, still not perfect, sometimes when playing AnimMontages, clients looking at other clients doing attacks looks really buggy, and sometimes jitters all over the place, or goes in rotation of 0,0,0, like I stated before. Really weird, even after removing a bunch of things, going to look into another solution tonight.
          Did you ever find a solution for adding root motion animations?

Comment

Originally posted by TClark1988 View Post
            I figured out how to edit the rotation graph so that the character rotates with the camera when aiming. I had to search through the comment section on the marketplace. Having figured that out, I am 100% satisfied with this system. If anyone is trying to make a TPS or FPS game and can't figure out how to get the character to rotate with the camera, please email me at tnclark1988@gmail.com, I will try and respond as quickly as I can.
            Could you write out what you did here on the forums? Thanks!

Comment

I've been working on a climbing and wall jumping system, and everything works fine with the default third person project. When I try to implement it in my ALS project though I'm having a hell of a time rotating my character toward the wall. Maybe someone here can give me a hint? =)

Comment

Hey I emailed you a few days ago and haven't gotten a response. If you haven't received it can you pm me by chance? I'm having a lot of trouble getting the aiming rotation right.

Comment

Originally posted by Enraged91 View Post

Hey I emailed you a few days ago and haven't gotten a response. If you haven't received it can you pm me by chance? I'm having a lot of trouble getting the aiming rotation right.
                  I sent you an email.
                  Last edited by TClark1988; 02-23-2018, 12:13 PM.

Comment

I am having issues with rotation when lerping towards a door, if anyone has figured this out, please share.

Comment

I didn't get your email. Would you be able to send it again?

As far as your door problem, if the issue is with the rotation of the character I might be able to help. Below is some of the code I used to rotate the character for pushing objects. I had to rotate the ALS component.

https://blueprintue.com/blueprint/mxjw8wtb/

I hope this helps.
                      Last edited by Enraged91; 02-24-2018, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Enraged91 View Post
                        I didn't get your email. My email is kiefertraub@yahoo.com. Would you be able to send it again?

As far as your door problem, if the issue is with the rotation of the character I might be able to help. Below is some of the code I used to rotate the character for pushing objects. I had to rotate the ALS component.

https://blueprintue.com/blueprint/mxjw8wtb/

I hope this helps.
                        Email sent!
                        Last edited by TClark1988; 02-24-2018, 12:11 AM.

Comment

So instead of monkeying around with the mesh rotation in the als component, I added a movement mode and logic for climbing in the manage character rotation graph and its working great. I'm learning a ton from this system thank you for making it!

Comment

Is there a way to add weapon Aim Offset to Locomotion states 2 and 3?
                            When I'm trying to do it - I'm getting some additional rotations for some reason.
                            Here's video:
                            https://www.dropbox.com/s/ap3l1lw6c0...42-05.mp4?dl=0

Comment

That's not how this works. If you have a solution, please share it on the forums so its searchable and useful to others. Please.
                              escalation1985.com

Comment

Originally posted by SebastianLarsen View Post

That's not how this works.
                                Did I violate a rule? If I did, then I will remove my posts.

Comment

Working...
                                X