No announcement yet.

Advanced Locomotion System V3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a really, really, really, nice system, but really could be put together better.
    You should make a basic character. Just a basic character.
    Without your camera functions, or anything attached to it at all. No crouching. No sprinting. No ragdoll, or get up. Just adaptive walk, falling, and jump.
    I dont like your camera system. No idea why it's in this "Locomotion system" ? It locks itself randomly, and disables its axis turn without reason until it gets a second input. Which makes everything feel extremely latent, and insanely stiff.
    The movement logic is great for #2. Your saying in your documentation that this is a component.
    I'm just at a loss as too why I should remove so much unnecessary things from a "Locomotion system?", or copy, and paste selective things for days?
    I think you built this with the intention of this being a basis for someones character. It's not a template for every type of gameplay though.
    It's definitely not a good buy for someone that already has a character set up.
    So my tp character can already. Walk,run,sprint, crouch, crouch walk, slide, jump, double jump, ledge climb, zip line, rope swing, push, pull, and grab objects, and has some attacks. If I wanted to implement this. I first have to delete state 1, and 3, delete all camera functions, delete all movement modes, replace enumeraators, add components, add several macros functions, and graphs, 50-100 variables, bools, integers, and rotators, and then curves, copy, and paste selected events, and update my state machines all the while having to sort through things that arent needed, or necessary for my project. Thank god you didnt add shooting, fighting, and swimming. This is just a serious tip to why your getting so many messages on here, and why people don't get it.
    If you created a folder with a third person system with character bp's having only movement mode 1. Only mode 2, and only mode 3. a normal camera, and then your demonstration level with all 3, and ragdoll. It would make more sense to implement into a project.
    Then people could migrate to a project easily, and more succesfully. You wouldn't be getting half as many email questions, and forum messages.
    You could have a simple tutorial on implementation.
    So for someone to buy this pack, and then have to delete, and modify almost everything to just get to a basic 3rd person adaptive system with a normal camera, and other movement modes disabled. Is a pain in the rear, and 3+ days time. It's just not necessary to have so much. Just a standard third person template would be sufficient. I don't need 3 different states of locomotion, and a strange camera system. I only need #2. So I completely dislike going through blueprints that someone else wrote, and deleting, copying, pasting, and modifying absolutely everything.
    Your documentation is really great. If it was as simple as selecting migrate. You would be in a much better position.
    Last edited by thadkinsjr; 10-22-2017, 05:25 AM.

Comment

It's been two months without word from the creator. Hope all is well

Comment

He was last online 2 days ago. I wrote him a PM before, he did not respond. If he continues doing this you can assume he abandoned this asset and ****ed up the customers.

I really hope he reads all the feedback and makes a V3 which should be usable for a game in the real word of development, not only showing off with a video how great the system is but in the end is not for everyone else.

Comment

Originally posted by CryRealUnity View Post
          He was last online 2 days ago. I wrote him a PM before, he did not respond. If he continues doing this you can assume he abandoned this asset and ****ed up the customers.

I really hope he reads all the feedback and makes a V3 which should be usable for a game in the real word of development, not only showing off with a video how great the system is but in the end is not for everyone else.
          It's because he probably has around 1000 emails, and 500 pm's i'm sure. One is every single amateur that bought this pack will assume they can watch a yt tutorial, and implement combat, and shooting easily. Not easily possible. This system is over complicated. I honestly have no idea why there are 3 movement states on one character, and that's the only character?
          Not sure why there isn't a traditional camera system. Because you cant simply migrate this to a character, and begin character interactions, and movements smoothly. So for around 80-90% of the people that bought this it becomes unusable, and i'm sure they'll give up on it. To implement this system into an existing character could take more time than building a mocap studio.
          For me it just ends up being more work than it's worth. It isn't procedural. Character interaction is a better buy, and so is ik foot.

Comment

The only problems this pack really has is that it's not great for adapting to an existing character, the camera doesn't collide (granted, camera collision is a cancer and I'd rather find alternates to it), and upper-body animation blending doesn't seem to work. Otherwise, it's a fantastic improvement to the standard character controller (and UE4's character controller is already top-class as it is), especially since it doesn't have animation priority, making controls snappy and responsive. It could certainly be more compartmentalised, though.

Originally posted by cloganart View Post
            Hey there,

We're using ALS for the current game we're working on, and in the game we have a character creation screen where the player character that's using ALS is in the Character Creator basically, using mouse drag.

We've tried rotating the PC in almost every possible way, and all in all, the character ends up simply turning from pelvis up. We've tried "ActorRelativeRotation" we've tried "Set Character Rotation" through the animation blueprint, but we could not get the character to simply rotate. We've tried the "Mesh Rotator" from the ALS component and there's nothing we managed to make work in this instance.

I've also accessed Mesh Rotation but to no avail, the character simply turns from waist up and looks back. I've noticed a person asked how to do this in the level blueprint, ours is using the controller but still the same idea. Inside the Animation Blueprint, I couldn't find the "Set Mesh Rotation" function but we've made one, and called that, to Set the Relative Rotation of the Mesh component, but still, nothing...

So if you can do a step by step for this, it would be incredible.
            I actually had a similar issue earlier in the thread, I think. You're supposed to add a cast to your AnimBP in the TurnInPlace_AnimNotifyState in the blueprints folder.
            Last edited by Candescence; 10-22-2017, 07:59 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Candescence View Post
              The only problems this pack really has is that it's not great for adapting to an existing character, the camera doesn't collide (granted, camera collision is a cancer and I'd rather find alternates to it), and upper-body animation blending doesn't seem to work. Otherwise, it's a fantastic improvement to the standard character controller (and UE4's character controller is already top-class as it is), especially since it doesn't have animation priority, making controls snappy and responsive. It could certainly be more compartmentalised, though.
              I actually had a similar issue earlier in the thread, I think. You're supposed to add a cast to your AnimBP in the TurnInPlace_AnimNotifyState in the blueprints folder.
              Compartmentalised would be decent. One serious issue is that everything has to be gone through, and changed by someone that didn't write the bp. So if there were simple character examples a person could go through each one, and understand things much more clearly moving up to an advanced character. I can find all references to camera, and delete, and re write them quickly, remove ragdoll etc. Unreal camera system has good collision providing your moving slowly. If your character is sprinting at say 600 then the camera can go through parts of the landscape, and some light mesh. This is too much to incorporate into an existing character. You literally have to rewrite everything. So it's just a really expensive blendspace.
              Which is why i'm sure he's bombarded with messages, and emails.

Comment

Originally posted by kamiskillet View Post
                It's been two months without word from the creator. Hope all is well

Originally posted by CryRealUnity View Post

Originally posted by thadkinsjr View Post
                It's because he probably has around 1000 emails, and 500 pm's i'm sure.

Hey guys, real sorry I haven't been keeping up on the forums. I do get a lot of emails, and support can many times be physically draining, as I'm only one guy with other things I need to do as well. I do try to get back to people when I can, but it’s always easier with emails, since things can easily get lost in the forums.

So when I first started on this system I never intended to sell it. It started as a hobby and a learning project, and was basically my first introduction to game animation and development. I'm entirely self taught, and have no real experience before this ( I also suck at programming...math, right?) It was also something I was planning to use for my own projects, but due to the positive feedback and encouragement I received I decided to give the marketplace a shot. After it went live it kind of blew up and my life has been pretty busy ever since. I had never expected to sell very much and so I greatly underestimated the amount of support that would be needed of me.

One thing I learned early after release is that it’s very very difficult to make an asset as complicated and integral as this and have it work for everyone. Character movement and animation systems can be very hard to integrate with other systems (and vice versa) due to the nature of it being directly tied in with many other things. I'm also still very new and have very little programming knowledge so I did the best I could with what I had, and at the very least I hoped it could be a useful learning tool. I would have loved to build a system that was completely modular or "plug and play", and I still would, but that's super tricky, especially with something like this. Most of the times in game development, character movement and animation systems are built around the design of a specific game, and so they become highly specialized to work with a specific project (also, it can take months to build a system just for one game, and hiring someone to do it would cost much much more than $60). And even if something is made highly flexible and customizable, it still wont work for everyone. Each game will have its own unique needs and it’s impossible to account for everything. The best approach would simply be to make something as generic and boring as possible, but then you'd get generic and boring results....oh and then there's networking, which has a completely different set of problems.

So yeah. I hope you guys understand the difficulties of some of the things I have to face. Obviously I'd love to make the best thing ever and have it work perfectly in all situations, but I mean c'mon...this is game dev and when does that happen.

I've been listening to all the feedback I can, and I understand that this system can be difficult to integrate into existing systems, especially for people who are new to programming, animation, and gamedev. I’ll be honest I’ve been wanting to move away from the marketplace for a while to work on my own things, but of course I don’t want to abandon my system either. Right now I’m still trying to decide what I should do. As I continue to learn, I discover new ways to make the system better, but I know that even if I recreate the system for the third time using different methods in order to be even more easy to work with, I’ll still run into some of the same things. So right now it’s kind of up in the air. Also, If I do recreate it, I may have to split up the system into a single player version and a multiplayer one. With networking, some things such as character rotation and physics are difficult to get just right, and so I might have to use some built in features to keep things generic enough for Multiplayer, but I don’t want to compromise on singleplayer quality if I don’t have to.

I also know that a lot of people want to see many more features. Again, I’m just one guy so I’ll see what I can do, but I can’t do everything for everyone. As long as I can build a system that is relatively easy to add to, I’m hoping that should be enough.

Once again I’m sorry for my lack of support in some cases, I meant no offense. I’ll do my best to be more diligent If I can, but please please don’t expect me to be able to solve everyone’s problems right away. Sometimes I simply don’t know the answer as I’m still learning too

All the best, Caleb Longmire

Comment

Relax dude, we dont bite
                  Take all the time you need and then even a little more, until you are satisfied with your own creation.

I for myself really wanted to buy this awesome pack after I saw the videos, but after reading like 20 pages in the forum, i fear that it just wont work out of the box for my characters. If there were some easy to follow integration examples, then perhaps you could reach a lot more people! Oh yeah, if you ever include more animations, a proper documentation, integration videos (makehuman/custom rigs/weapon anims/movement customization), then i am willing to pay twice of the current price without even thinking about it.

Comment

@KingTumTum101 I'd like to chime in and say that a good documentation is everything. The system may be complex and not fitting to every project and scenario out of the box, but if it's well documented, it's easy to see what can be applied right away and how, and what needs to be adjusted to fit. Not to mention it's essential to understanding how it all works to begin with.

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
                      @KingTumTum101 I'd like to chime in and say that a good documentation is everything. The system may be complex and not fitting to every project and scenario out of the box, but if it's well documented, it's easy to see what can be applied right away and how, and what needs to be adjusted to fit. Not to mention it's essential to understanding how it all works to begin with.
                      Yeah I agree. Heres a link to the Docs that you get with the project if anyone is interested

Comment

Hey there, Thanks for the answer in the email KingTumTum. I've managed to turn the character by going into ALS AnimBP and grabbing the value I've sent from there in the character's None state.

My next question is that, the sequencer. Whenever the BP is thrown into the sequencer to play animations, it seems to not be working as it always plays its default idle animation, regardless of the animations we throw at it (They're all retargeted and everything, so they're supposed to be working). We were hoping to do a couple cinematics but I'm wondering if ALS is blocking this from happening.

Did anybody else experience a similar problem with this? Are we missing a point i wonder.

Comment

Hi there, I'm having some trouble with converting the Transform Virtual Bones code block (in the post process anim BP animgraph) to my character. I see the transform (modify) bone nodes referencing bones called "VB_thigh_l_calf_l" and "VB_thigh_r_calf_r", however I don't see these bones in the mannequinn skeleton, and so I'm not sure what bone's to use on my character for these nodes (I'm using the UE4 mannequinn skeleton). Thanks!

Comment

I apologize, just googled "UE4 Virtual Bones" and learned how to create them, works like a charm!

Comment

This is a great system for character movement. There is no way to not be complex about it.
                              It's extremely fluid, and It's worth its weight in gold for learning references alone.
                              The documentation is well done.
                              I wouldn't add any more movements to the character template, or complicate it in any other way. (Multiplayer, side scroller, aim poses, double jumping, crouching etc.)
                              When I seen 26 pages, and 50k views on this post i knew you were flooded with pm's, and emails.
                              The only thing I think that could alleviate that would be having just a most basic foundational set up.
                              No rag doll, or other movement states. Only third person walking/jumping. So that it would be as close to the third person template as possible.
                              So every beginner that picks this up can start from something of a more basic/less complex system, and work/learn there way through it.

Comment

Ahoy! I'm having trouble making my character with the ALS anim blueprint to play an animation montage (from a seperate blueprint). Is there an easy change to the ALS anim bp to allow playing a montage?

Or maybe a better question to ask: What would you say is the simplest way to externally (from another blueprint) make the character play an animation once, while at rest, and then resume the idle animation state?
                                Last edited by Piepants; 11-01-2017, 03:14 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X