No announcement yet.

Advanced Locomotion System V3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Everything is fine without the postprocess animbp, yes. But obviously IK stops. I have fortunately had paid help offered from someone else on the forum over this issue until such time as we have better documentation.

PS - yours docs are extensive... but really not as useful ... good documentation is not just a description of each node / eventgraph / function - there should be an overall explanation of how it all fits and works together, holistically, and how you would tackle the typical required changes and modifications. Fingers crossed your integration tutorials will close the gap!

Comment

Hello KingTumTum101 !
      What do you think about Aim for weapon aiming ?

There is Aim Offset already. But I want to make Locomotion state 3 with weapon aiming all the time. So what should be best solution for that? Besides, I don't want to use Blendpace for different aiming position, but to use Aiming rotator and just rotate couple bones
      Last edited by SkyGround; 08-01-2017, 11:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Macw0lf View Post
        Everything is fine without the postprocess animbp
        Same here. Setting up ALS on a different epic skeleton somehow messes up the provided IK solution.

Bottom line, there is no documentation for setting up the IK stuff, and it is a tedious time consuming task. You literally have to edit 20 different functions/vars/graphs/nodes
        LEGENDS of EPICA [Twitter] [Facebook] [YouTube] [Vimeo]

Comment

Originally posted by KingTumTum101 View Post
          Yes you can add new animations such as crouching if you wish. I am planning to include some upper body layering for weapons in the next update (As well as multiplayer and Foot IK)
          Hello mate . Awesome pack. Has this upper body layering been Done for weapon support yet. This is the part were struggling with . We want to use your system but the upper body needs to blend into weapon anims like carrying sword etc . But the system is a little daunting and I'm not sure where to begin to do this . Thanks great work

Comment

The CapsuleComponent of the character is always facing the forward direction of the camera. Is this by design? Is there any way to make it so it always faces the same direction as the character mesh?

I need to get the ActorForwardVector to calculate whats in front of the character and it's giving me the wrong result.

EDIT: I checked Orient Rotation To Movement on the Character Movement component, and unchecked Use Controller Rotation on the character BP, and it's now fixed.
            EDIT2: Unfortunately that breaks movement modes 2 and 3. If you guys know a better way, please let me know.
            EDIT3: Fixed. Set Orient Rotation To Movement on the Character Movement component to true and Use Controller Rotation on the character BP to false by default.
            Then, on the Player input graph set the same variables when switching to movement mode 1, and the opposite values when switching to modes 2 and 3.
            Last edited by regueiro; 08-03-2017, 03:41 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by unit23 View Post
              Same here. Setting up ALS on a different epic skeleton somehow messes up the provided IK solution.
              Turns out that the sprint animation wasn't properly retargeted. It is unclear why this animation was not retargeted properly. If you have animation issues, and retargeted animations, especially with IK, check your animations first.

Comment

Originally posted by SkyGround View Post
                Hello KingTumTum101 !
                What do you think about Aim for weapon aiming ?

There is Aim Offset already. But I want to make Locomotion state 3 with weapon aiming all the time. So what should be best solution for that? Besides, I don't want to use Blendpace for different aiming position, but to use Aiming rotator and just rotate couple bones
                So, my advice would be to add a layered blend per bone node somewhere in the graph so you can have upperbody animations. As far as rotating the spine, you could add 3 transform / modify bone nodes (one for each spine bone), and then get the difference between the character rotation and actor rotation (facing direction), and use that to offset the bone's rotation. If you tweak the alphas so they all add up to one (something like .2 for the first spine bones, .35 for the second, and .45 for the third, you will get a gradual spine rotation instead of a direct cut. This will help with aiming side to side, but I would recommend a blend-space in the vertical axis for aiming up and down, since modifying the bones to aim up / down can be tricky.

Comment

Bottom line, there is no documentation for setting up the IK stuff, and it is a tedious time consuming task. You literally have to edit 20 different functions/vars/graphs/nodes
                  Hmm, that doesnt sound right. You do have to edit the bone names in the bp and animgraph, but only if you are using another skeleton. As far as the virtual bones, the position could vary for each skeleton / animations so you have to find a good balance. I'm planning to get the IK stuff into the docs soon though. Working with different skeletons is always tricky, especially in Unreal. There is no real easy way sometimes and it just takes practice and patience. That's one of the reasons part of me regrets publishing the pack . I underestimated peoples knowledge of working with animations and skeletons in UE4. Ah well, live and learn.

Comment

Originally posted by EniGmaa View Post
                    Hello mate . Awesome pack. Has this upper body layering been Done for weapon support yet. This is the part were struggling with . We want to use your system but the upper body needs to blend into weapon anims like carrying sword etc . But the system is a little daunting and I'm not sure where to begin to do this . Thanks great work
                    The best way to add upperbody aniamtions is to use a layered blend per bone node somewhere in the graph (hard to say where since every project can require a different setup). There are some epic provided tutorials that can walk you through the creation process. Heres one of them - https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...iveAnimations/

Essentially you will want to feed your upperbody aniamtions into the Blend Pose 0 pin. They could be in a state-machine, or just a slot so you can fire montages, or both. It will take some testing and experimenting, so just be patient, test out different things, and eventually you will get a result you will like.

Comment

Originally posted by regueiro View Post
                      The CapsuleComponent of the character is always facing the forward direction of the camera. Is this by design? Is there any way to make it so it always faces the same direction as the character mesh?

I need to get the ActorForwardVector to calculate whats in front of the character and it's giving me the wrong result.

EDIT: I checked Orient Rotation To Movement on the Character Movement component, and unchecked Use Controller Rotation on the character BP, and it's now fixed.
                      EDIT2: Unfortunately that breaks movement modes 2 and 3. If you guys know a better way, please let me know.
                      EDIT3: Fixed. Set Orient Rotation To Movement on the Character Movement component to true and Use Controller Rotation on the character BP to false by default.
                      Then, on the Player input graph set the same variables when switching to movement mode 1, and the opposite values when switching to modes 2 and 3.
                      Thats one way of doing it. I did it that way as it actually works better for multiplayer. Another way to do it, would be to set the capsule rotation manually, the same way as the mesh rotation is set. So instead of manully rotating the mesh inside the AnimBP, you would just take that "Character Rotation" rotator and use it to set the capsule / actor rotation. Then you would need to change the mesh rotation to relative instead of world (in the character bp by clicking on mesh). Also, because the animBP uses the Actor Rotation as the yaw value of the character, you should change it to be set from the Base Aim Rotation, so the calculations for rotation don't get messed up.

Comment

Originally posted by skeeta92 View Post
                        Has any one been able to get this working with the instant swim-able water? The only problem that i am having is my character does not rotate while in the water
                        How did you make character swim first?
                        Available for contract hiring! Complex mechanics, quick game prototyping, VR, AI, Animation, Tools for designers.

Check out my latest game! Last Joy - 2D RPG with unique combat system.

Comment

Has anyone tried using this product in sequence recorder? I've come across an issue where the mannequin animation performs perfectly in PIE, but doesn't get recorded in Sequence Recorder. For instance, say I want to strafe or turn around, the capsule component will be recorded correctly, but the skeletal mesh of the mannequin doesn't record rotation and doesn't blend into a full strafe. The mannequin just does the forward run animation while being translated by the capsule component. This is Locomotion state 2 by the way. Using 4.15.3

Any insight would be awesome. I've narrowed, what I think is the issue, down to the OnGround sub graph in the ALS_AnimBP, where if I break the True execution off of the branch node, the strafe movement will be recorded correctly, but I lose the ability to turn the character around in PIE.

Comment

Hey, so I bought this asset and so far it's been extremely useful for my game (barring the lack of camera collision detection, but I've been contemplating using semi-transparency for occluding objects anyway), but I've run into a rather weird issue with the All Platform Outline Pack (which is also included in the Character Cel-Shading Pack), as seen in the attachments below. The outline looks fine when not moving or rotating the camera, but when I'm rotating the camera and moving around, well, that's what results in the second image. Note that this problem doesn't occur with any kind of post-process cel-shading.

Basically, I have a theory, from looking at the components - the outline component basically creates a duplicate mesh that's slightly larger than the original and attaches it to the original actor, but the ALS_Component doesn't notice this and so the two skeletal meshes don't sync properly in terms of rotation. I guess in theory I could fix this by doing a slight delay in the initialisation and collecting all the skeletal mesh components? The animation component isn't the issue, that syncs up perfectly, but it's the rotation, which is acting weirdly. I hope I won't have to stop using the outline component altogether, though, since it's much nicer-looking than post-processing.
                            Attached Files
                            Last edited by Candescence; 08-10-2017, 08:03 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Candescence View Post
                              I have a theory .. the outline component basically creates a duplicate mesh that's slightly larger than the original and attaches it to the original actor, but the ALS_Component doesn't notice this...
                              Yes, I think that's correct. While i was reading into this recently, and not use these packages, i would suggest and try to use the Set Master Pose Component node, to merge the ALS mesh with the outline mesh, added on Event Begin Play on the character blueprint. But this could create issues with ragdoll maybe, so maybe set the outline mesh to not visible once the custom movement mode is triggered, or destroy it and set the pose anew on ragdoll
                              Last edited by unit23; 08-10-2017, 08:16 AM.

Comment

Yes, I think that's correct. While i was reading into this recently, and not use these packages, i would suggest and try to use the Set Master Pose Component node, to merge the ALS mesh with the outline mesh, added on Event Begin Play on the character blueprint. But this could create issues with ragdoll maybe, so maybe set the outline mesh to not visible once the custom movement mode is triggered, or destroy it and set the pose anew on ragdoll
                                Actually, the outline component already sets the master pose, so no dice on that. I tried an array approach with the multiple meshes, but it seems it's more trouble than it's worth.

Comment

Working...
                                X