No announcement yet.

Advanced Locomotion System V3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Success! The virtual bones were the problem. Thanks for the help. Not sure what your degree is in, but you belong in the gaming industry...clearly your have a passion for it, and you have skills!

Comment

Originally posted by CrashA51 View Post
      Success! The virtual bones were the problem. Thanks for the help. Not sure what your degree is in, but you belong in the gaming industry...clearly your have a passion for it, and you have skills!
      Lol I'm a college dropout.

Comment

So was Steve Jobs!

Comment

Hello,

I have retargeted to Kubold Katia character. Everything is working great, including IK for the feet, with a few bugs with ragdoll still to work out. She does have a very "manly" walk and run, which I will soon fix by swapping out the animations for Kubold's female animations. If you are having problems, these reminders might help:

1. Don't add the Virtual Bones until after retargeting, then open character skeleton, click on thigh, add VB, click on calf ... make sure to add L and R, dah
          2. Fastest way to retarget is to set up the Humanoid Rig, for SK_Mannequin, and your new Character ... on the Skeleton Tree, hit the "All Bones, Active Sockets" tab at the bottom, and select "show retargeting options. Make sure "root" and "pelvis" and "ik" bones at the bottom all say "Animation," and "Skeleton" for all other Translation Retargeting ... then match the bones, view pose, match poses as best your can ... save, then right click on the ALS_AnimBP in the Blueprints folder, and retarget ... and it will retarget all the animations at one time.
          3. As mentioned above, you must assign the Mannequin_PostProcess_AnimBP located in the Mannequin folder, to your mesh, by clicking on Mesh, then under Asset Details, Skeletal Mesh, Post Process Anim Blueprint, pull down the tab and select it. IK should now work.
          4. Make sure you go into the your new character AnimBP, and select each Macro, and change the animation to your new retargeted animations, such as "ChooseLandingAnim," change the "ALS_N_Land" animation sequence, or your character's knees will not compress on landing from a jump. Note, my ALS_N_Stop blend space was missing the N_idle blendspace after retargeting, had to add that back in or it crashed the engine.
          5. If things don't work, just save and restart the engine, and try again, or retarget any missing animations ... because the engine will glitch on occasion, and not apply the PostProcess_AnimBP, or save or retarget all the animations.

Hope that helps.
          Last edited by CrashA51; 06-30-2017, 03:00 PM.

Comment

right click on the ALS_AnimBP in the Blueprints folder, and retarget ... and it will retarget all the animations at one time.
            Actually this method will only retarget about 90% of the sequences, blendspaces etc, but will miss a few which must be tracked down in the retargeted animbp and manually retarget then replace them in the appropriate nodes. For instance, equations that do comparisons will not retarget the anim sequences, and will attempt to do the compare against the old sequences for mannequin skeleton which obviously will fail. "Montage is active", most functions and macros are all will remain to hold to the old sequences which better to be looked for around and manually change them. The best method so far (for me) is to do a Ctrl+F in the animbp and search for the word "Mannequin" which should reveal most (if not all) the missing pieces. You better to place your retargeted anim sequences to a separate folder to be easy to recognize the wrong associations that still points to the ones from the /Mannequin folder.

There also are variables both in the CharacterBP and AnimBP with names that point to pelvis bone (which may or may not exists in your new skeleton), that should be reviewed first, as well as anim sequnces and montages that still point to the old skeleton which, again you must retarget then replace manually.

The blueprint in Game/Blueprints called "TurnInPlace_AnimNotifyState" will attempt to cast the anim bp to the old, which will break the turn in place until you replace the cast nodes to cast for your new animbp.

After all this most features should actually work very well.

a few bugs with ragdoll still to work out
            Like what? My custom skeleton have "broken" arms and legs, but it is unlikely that the physics asset would be faulty, since it only looks odd once i use the ragdoll feature of ALS. In editor and the scene i have added the mesh and the physics simulation looks ok, which suggest that it should work but i get the odd results with als' ragdoll for some reason. Found no explanation so far.
            Last edited by Konflict; 06-30-2017, 12:41 PM.
            * Sharp and responsive Temporal Anti-Aliasing tips and tricks
            * Pitch-shift source effect (DSP) over the network (VOIP)
            * My Portfolio and Developer Blog

Comment

Konflict:

The problems I am having with Ragdoll after retargeting are:

1. not adding the Play Curl or Flail Blend when InRagdoll
              2. not playing the get up animations, instead the character pops up to a z position a bit above the ground, and then only moves in place

Note: Just changed the Get up references in the character blueprint animaitons, that fixed the get up, but still stuck in place after getting up from ragdoll, and no blends into the Ragdoll. Now I will go check the Custom Events like you referenced. Thanks for the info Konflict.
              Last edited by CrashA51; 06-30-2017, 04:47 PM.

Comment

[MENTION=47853]CrashA51[/MENTION] Once you set up a PhAT asset that have similar properties to the Mannequin in the ALS project, both these issues will be gone. The character will also require to have a physics body (sphere) to be on the root bone.

Comment

Thanks again Konflict,

Katia was missing a physics body on the root like you mentioned ... good call. So I added it, but now on ragdoll she "falls" way up... when I get her up, she slowly drops back down to the ground, then locomotion works fine again. Getting closer, with your help! Never messed around much with the Physical Asset tool. Need to change physics body from a capsule to a sphere, match the mannequin settings in the ALS project, and perhaps that will do it, or maybe there is another setting causing her to go up instead of fall to the ground.

I also noticed N_Rotate_to_Idle shows up on the ALS project Mannequin Skeleton Animation Notifies, but is missing from Katia's. Any ideas?

Update, The "pelvis" constraints on Kubold's Katia character were not all set to free, one was locked, and the "Angular Motor" settings on bones needed changing to Twist and Swing, so adding the root physics body and matching settings on the ALS Mannequin fixed everything ... except one more issue.

I still do not see "Play ALS_Flail and Play ALS_Curl_Pose Blends showing up in the Final Animation Pose of the the InRagdoll State ... and I have the right animations assigned. Oh, so close! Any help would be appreciated. And I hope this helps other noobs like me. I am writting this workflow down, it is a bit more effort than I expected, but worth it.
                  Last edited by CrashA51; 07-01-2017, 02:16 PM.

Comment

I still do not see "Play ALS_Flail and Play ALS_Curl_Pose Blends showing up in the Final Animation Pose of the the InRagdoll State ... and I have the right animations assigned. Oh, so close! Any help would be appreciated. And I hope this helps other noobs like me. I am writting this workflow down, it is a bit more effort than I expected, but worth it.
                    Hey there, I'm really sorry I still don't have any tutorials or workflows out there yet. I've just been so busy with other things, I haven't gotten around to it. I'm in the process of making documentation, so hopefully I can get it out before the summer sale. Its also kind of hard since I'm already so familiar with the system so its easy to miss a step or skip over something. Being able to look at it with fresh eyes would help me know the best way to make a tutorial as well.

As far as the ragdoll anim problem, I might know what could be causing it. In the component, there is a sub-graph in which angular motors are changed based on the pelvis velocity during ragdoll. If the bone nae is not correct, then it may not be setting the Angular motor properties properly.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Capture3.PNG
Views:	1
Size:	113.0 KB
ID:	1130511

If that isnt the issue, then Ill have to do some more digging to try and figure it out.

Comment

I am using a "Pelvis" bone in my skeleton, if I understand you right. And the graph that I am using, that came in ALS 2, in addition to Add Force, has a second function (Add Force at Location) hocked up to the Mesh and Pelvis Bone, Return value on the Get Socket Location, and X 200:

Name:	ALS.PNG
Size:	133.2 KB
ID:	1130520

But I don't think that has anything to do with the problem. Any more ideas?

Also, I noticed a second issue. When I go into Ragdoll, the get up animation is played, but if I apply forward movement with my controller, the character slides along the ground while the Get up animation is playing, then goes into the run. Do you know where I messed up, because your default character does not move until the get up animation is finished.

I can't believe the amount of work you put into this ... your help is greatly appreciated ... two issues to go, and I can start adding swim and other animations. And no more looking at Mr. Faceless Mannequin!

Comment

I am using a "Pelvis" bone in my skeleton, if I understand you right. And the graph that I am using, that came in ALS 2, in addition to Add Force, has a second function (Add Force at Location) hocked up to the Mesh and Pelvis Bone, Return value on the Get Socket Location, and X 200:

But I don't think that has anything to do with the problem. Any more ideas?

Also, I noticed a second issue. When I go into Ragdoll, the get up animation is played, but if I apply forward movement with my controller, the character slides along the ground while the Get up animation is playing, then goes into the run. Do you know where I messed up, because your default character does not move until the get up animation is finished.

I can't believe the amount of work you put into this ... your help is greatly appreciated ... two issues to go, and I can start adding swim and other animations. And no more looking at Mr. Faceless Mannequin!
                        Haha so that was actually something I forgot to take out when I submitted it. It causes errors in networked play. You are right, that is not the cause of the problem, but I thought the part before that might be. When simulating ragdoll, is the ragdoll stiff, as if it was applying an angular motor? Or is it always completely limp even when moving quickly?

As far as the movement while playing the get up animations, there is a macro inside the character BP called Shouldn't move, which keeps the player from applying movement input when certain anim's are playing. You could also enable root motion in the animations and that would have the same effect.

Comment

Well, glad you posted the image ... I will remove the Add Force at Location. The ALS system is so comprehensive ... the more I dig into it, the more I appreciate how well it is designed.

Katia appears to go "completely limp" when standing or moving slow and simulating ragdoll (no stiffness at all). Does that mean no angular motor is being applied?

Katia does not go stiff, when stimulating ragdoll, at high speed as well ... as a side note, I do notice some of the curl animation the faster she runs, when entering ragdoll. And if I run and jump off a ledge, the curl animation becomes really apparent. I checked out your default character a bit more, and that motion at high speed looks pretty much the same when going into ragdoll while running. The "limpness" or lack of angular motor is really apparent at standing and slow speed ragdoll simulation... every bone goes limp as she drops.

Also, I don't notice the "flail" animation much at any speed, and at low speed your default mesh appears to apply a bit less ragdoll to the upper body than my retargeted Katia, especially at slow speed. Perhaps this is just a setting ... is there a way to increase the amount of "flail" that blends into the ragdoll, so the upper body does not go so limp at low speed ... or some other setting you can point me to, or is that all the result of the lack of angular motor?

One more issue, the N_Rotate_to_Idle is still not showing up on Katia's Skeleton Animation Notifies, as it does with your default ALS Mannequin ... not sure what is causing that either, or what impact that might have to all this, if any, or her movement.

Thanks for the tip also on the Shouldn't move macro.

I absolutely love this system, and plan to use it on all my projects. Please consider an ALS 3. It would be very easy, and free, for you to set up a Trello board, or do it here, and people could post their requests, like Vaei did above, for future updates. This is the best thing I have ever bought on the Marketplace, and the way it is now designed, is a great foundation for adding additional features.

NOTE: You were absolutely right ... the "Shouldn't move" macro was pointing to the Mannequin Get up montages ... changed to the retargeted Katia, and now she does not move when getting up.

A little help with the ragdoll tweeking, and it's time to add swimming to the state machine, and surfs up!
                          Last edited by CrashA51; 07-02-2017, 12:29 PM.

Comment

Does the IK have any parameters that must be set up for a different characters?

For some reason my character bends the knees once i apply the IK system on it. The skeleton have the additional bones and the animations without the IK system appears to be normal, but with the IK postprocess the character pulls the feets up.

The knees are bent like 80' degrees:

Name:	knees_bent_skelly.jpg
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	1130525

For in-game i have added this to bring the pelvis up by ~20 uu, which helps to have the legs straight, and it seems to be working normal, but in animation previews and blueprint viewport i still get the knees are bent. Is there any particular reason for this?

Name:	bent_knees_pelvis_up_20.jpg
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	1130526

Edit: temporarily fixed the problems by adding a Z offset to the feets, pulling up the pelvis by an another Z offset, and by disabling IK while in editor the doll no longer appears with bent knees

Name:	bent_knees_IKs.jpg
Size:	112.0 KB
ID:	1130539

I'm going to expose these two variables to the character BP to have custom settings for different models where i expect to have similar problems as well, so it will be easier to adjust these values to make them appear correct for the model

Also, i just have moved all the IK stuff to be part of the AnimBP (once again) and it seems to be working just fine (so far). Made this decision because i had many editor crashes while switching between the mannequin and my model, but the crash probably is just an editor bug.
                            Last edited by Konflict; 07-02-2017, 08:06 PM.

Comment

Well, glad you posted the image ... I will remove the Add Force at Location. The ALS system is so comprehensive ... the more I dig into it, the more I appreciate how well it is designed.

Katia appears to go "completely limp" when standing or moving slow and simulating ragdoll (no stiffness at all). Does that mean no angular motor is being applied?

Katia does not go stiff, when stimulating ragdoll, at high speed as well ... as a side note, I do notice some of the curl animation the faster she runs, when entering ragdoll. And if I run and jump off a ledge, the curl animation becomes really apparent. I checked out your default character a bit more, and that motion at high speed looks pretty much the same when going into ragdoll while running. The "limpness" or lack of angular motor is really apparent at standing and slow speed ragdoll simulation... every bone goes limp as she drops.

Also, I don't notice the "flail" animation much at any speed, and at low speed your default mesh appears to apply a bit less ragdoll to the upper body than my retargeted Katia, especially at slow speed. Perhaps this is just a setting ... is there a way to increase the amount of "flail" that blends into the ragdoll, so the upper body does not go so limp at low speed ... or some other setting you can point me to, or is that all the result of the lack of angular motor?

One more issue, the N_Rotate_to_Idle is still not showing up on Katia's Skeleton Animation Notifies, as it does with your default ALS Mannequin ... not sure what is causing that either, or what impact that might have to all this, if any, or her movement.
                              It might mean that no angular motor is being applied, or the forces arent strong enough. It might take a bit of tweaking. If you want to send me a small copy of your project Id be happy to take a look and see If I can track down the issue.

If the Anim Notify isn't showing up, you could just create a new one. That particular anim notify just sets the 'Idle Entry' enum to a specific state, so that it plays the proper animation when returning to idle from a Rotate In Place anim.

Comment

Originally posted by Konflict View Post
                                Does the IK have any parameters that must be set up for a different characters?

For some reason my character bends the knees once i apply the IK system on it. The skeleton have the additional bones and the animations without the IK system appears to be normal, but with the IK postprocess the character pulls the feets up.
                                Hmmm not sure off the top of my head why it would be doing that. Perhaps it has to do with the re-targeting of the IK bones? Could be a lot of different things. If you open up the mesh asset, click on animations, and turn the bone visibility on, you can see the results of the retargeting. Check to see that the IK bones are in the proper places.

Comment

Working...
                                X