Advanced Locomotion System V3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by KingTumTum101 View Post
    You still have to go into the skeletal mesh settings and assign the Post Process animbp to it. It doesnt matter that you are using the same skeleton.
    yes, I had done so. here are my settings.

Click image for larger version

Name:	settings.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	63.8 KB
ID:	1129818

And the result:
    Click image for larger version

Name:	result.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	9.2 KB
ID:	1129819

Comment

Originally posted by Macw0lf View Post
      yes, I had done so. here are my settings.
      Hmm...Then off the top of my head I'm not sure what the problem could be. Have you tried debugging it and see if its executing during gameplay? It might help you track down any problems. One thing to note, is that even though it shares the same skeletal asset, it doesnt mean it has all of the bones.

Comment

I helped a colleague of mine re-target skeletons because he couldn't figure it out at the time and he gave up on it for a while. So i came over and got it all setup and all went well, animations and joint positions flawless . but then..
        When the jump animations were triggered the player would turn and face one cardinal direction consistently in the middle of any jump, we didnt tamper with any bp code or animations, any idea what the issue is??
        (Edit)
        After a quick phone call we determined it was happening only in locomotion state 1.
        Many thanks.
        Last edited by DWGS; 06-19-2017, 03:10 AM.

Comment

Has any one been able to get this working with the instant swim-able water? The only problem that i am having is my character does not rotate while in the water

Comment

Originally posted by skeeta92 View Post
            Has any one been able to get this working with the instant swim-able water? The only problem that i am having is my character does not rotate while in the water
            Go into the animBP, find the manage rotation sub graph, and hook up rotation for swimming. Its pretty easy.

Comment

Hey, new version is fantastic, really impressive system from what I've seen so far. However, I've had problems once I've retargeted to my own skeleton, and . My mesh stays in the retarget "A pose" in-game and refuses to play any animations. Is there something I'll need to change in the ALS Component or Anim BP to get the system to work properly? Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by OmarWarOgre View Post
                Hey, new version is fantastic, really impressive system from what I've seen so far. However, I've had problems once I've retargeted to my own skeleton, and . My mesh stays in the retarget "A pose" in-game and refuses to play any animations. Is there something I'll need to change in the ALS Component or Anim BP to get the system to work properly? Thanks!
                You shouldn't need to, have you changed the AnimBP in the CharacterBP?

Comment

Yes, I've changed the AnimBP used by the Mesh in the CharacterBP to my retargeted AnimBP. This is the result:

Comment

Originally posted by OmarWarOgre View Post
                    Yes, I've changed the AnimBP used by the Mesh in the CharacterBP to my retargeted AnimBP. This is the result:

Hmm. Did you check the Animgraph in the debug mode in-game to see if everything was hooked up and working? Also, which AnimBP did you retarget? There are many different things that could cause this so Its hard for me to track down the problem without much info. By the way, If your skeleton is the same as the skeleton included, as it appears to be since you are using the same mesh, you shouldn't need to retarget.

Comment

[MENTION=24501]KingTumTum101[/MENTION] Congratulations on making an impressive system! It's one of my first Marketplace purchases, picked this up yesterday. I'm often worried about how flexible the systems are since everything I buy I will adapt to my own purposes, and on that front I'm very pleased with your work. I would only ever purchase from the marketplace to save time, so I'm a happy customer.

I have one feature request, another feature request I can very much do without but would be nice, and some feedback/suggestions that I don't need for myself but putting it out there in case you want to incorporate it.

Feature Request

The Ragdoll is really well made, there is one thing that looks very clearly wrong which is when it gets up using this animation (gif below) while there is no surface for the hands but all the weight is placed on the hands, do you think you could add some detection (line traces etc) and use a different animation instead in this case? For example, he could pull himself up using only his legs/core muscles by pushing into a kneeling position, placing his hands by his feet, then pushing upwards.

Feature Request 2

I don't really need this but it would be nice to have, when he's on a slope and gets up there's a ton of clipping, any chance of some IK at least for the hands, possibly the spine/chest here? Could even simply be an impact normal from a trace rotating the spine joint upwards, after all ragdoll never will be perfect, nor does it need to be, and it would minimize the clipping.

General Feedback / Suggestions
                      • The camera settings in 'ChooseCameraSettings' function found in the Character blueprint are likely to be changed for every game and could be exposed via variables (a bunch of CameraSettings struct variables) just for user-friendliness. Of course this depends on whether your system is intended for use or intended for example.
                      • Possibly an input to toggle the left/right offset for settings that have a Y offset, this is commonly used for over-the-shoulder cameras where the body could block the player's line of sight.
                      • Locomotion State/1/2/3 could use friendlier/descriptive names.

Thanks for your hard work

PS. I almost didn't give this a chance because the first comment in your OP asks about multiplayer support and the answer is 'no', perhaps update your original post to make it very clear that it's changed and supports multiplayer? You still have the V1 video up there too.
                      Last edited by Vaei; 06-23-2017, 05:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vaei View Post

Feature Request

The Ragdoll is really well made, there is one thing that looks very clearly wrong which is when it gets up using this animation (gif below) while there is no surface for the hands but all the weight is placed on the hands, do you think you could add some detection (line traces etc) and use a different animation instead in this case? For example, he could pull himself up using only his legs/core muscles by pushing into a kneeling position, placing his hands by his feet, then pushing upwards.

Feature Request 2

I don't really need this but it would be nice to have, when he's on a slope and gets up there's a ton of clipping, any chance of some IK at least for the hands, possibly the spine/chest here? Could even simply be an impact normal from a trace rotating the spine joint upwards, after all ragdoll never will be perfect, nor does it need to be, and it would minimize the clipping.

General Feedback / Suggestions
                        • The camera settings in 'ChooseCameraSettings' function found in the Character blueprint are likely to be changed for every game and could be exposed via variables (a bunch of CameraSettings struct variables) just for user-friendliness. Of course this depends on whether your system is intended for use or intended for example.
                        • Possibly an input to toggle the left/right offset for settings that have a Y offset, this is commonly used for over-the-shoulder cameras where the body could block the player's line of sight.
                        • Locomotion State/1/2/3 could use friendlier/descriptive names.

Thanks for the positive feedback.

As far as the first feature request, well, its mostly just an issue of adding more content. Its not a huge priority, and since my system best serves as a template or starting point (foundation) to build from, I probably wont be adding additional get up animations in the near future. Its not difficult addition, so others should be able to make additional features like this one for their own projects without a problem.

For the second request, thats an issue that would best be taken care of by a full body IK solver, or something similar. Ive thought about possible methods of rotating the root bone to align with the terrain for certain animations, but I havent done any testing yet. I also dont have the skills to write a full body IK solver, but know that Ikinema offers a full body IK solution that can align the body to the ground for prone animations, so maybe thats worth checking out.

The camera stuff is mostly there as an example, as the focus is on the locomotion system. I included it to just show how different camera angles could work with different locomotion states, and how to seamlessly switch between them. It also looks cool . I might add the Y Offset in the future though, but nothing is set in stone yet. And yes I might end up renaming the different locomotion states as well. Their purpose is just too show how flexible the system can be, and are intended for others to replace them with their own states and conditions, and I thought their differences are pretty obvious and dont require a ton of explanation, but maybe a name could help.

Comment

Originally posted by KingTumTum101 View Post
                          Thanks for the positive feedback.

As far as the first feature request, well, its mostly just an issue of adding more content. Its not a huge priority, and since my system best serves as a template or starting point (foundation) to build from, I probably wont be adding additional get up animations in the near future. Its not difficult addition, so others should be able to make additional features like this one for their own projects without a problem.

For the second request, thats an issue that would best be taken care of by a full body IK solver, or something similar. Ive thought about possible methods of rotating the root bone to align with the terrain for certain animations, but I havent done any testing yet. I also dont have the skills to write a full body IK solver, but know that Ikinema offers a full body IK solution that can align the body to the ground for prone animations, so maybe thats worth checking out.

The camera stuff is mostly there as an example, as the focus is on the locomotion system. I included it to just show how different camera angles could work with different locomotion states, and how to seamlessly switch between them. It also looks cool . I might add the Y Offset in the future though, but nothing is set in stone yet. And yes I might end up renaming the different locomotion states as well. Their purpose is just too show how flexible the system can be, and are intended for others to replace them with their own states and conditions, and I thought their differences are pretty obvious and dont require a ton of explanation, but maybe a name could help.
                          No worries! Thanks again for the awesome product.

Comment

Hello,

I have tried many times to replace the character in the demo level with Kubold's Katiusza character, following normal retargeting work flow, and every time retargeting crashes the editor. Katiusza has a few extra bones for eyes, and there are two Virtual bones in the ALS character. I set up the common rig, set smaller shoulders and IK bones to animation, adjust Katiusza pose to match, add the VB to Katiusza, ignore the eye bones, etc. When I then hit Retarget Anim Assets, to retarget an animation, or try to retarget the ALS_AnimBP, it just crashes. The Mannequin_PostProcess_AnimBP does not crash upon retargeting. I was able to retarget a character with a very different skeleton from blender without crashing, but anims look wonkie and require time in Blender to fix, and the character remains in a T pose in the level ... so I though I would save some time by using Kubold's character, which has a nearly identical skeleton. Once I have a humanoid character, I want to build out the state machine, and add swimming, prone, crouch, etc .... using the ALS demo level as a sandbox until I get the animations right.

I was able to attach the new Paragon eyes to the character, and they look fantastic. Wish there were more "advanced" characters, with eye, eyelid, tongue, teeth, realistic looking Character rigs, like Stefan's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YalS_A8eYJw, to use with ALS, offered on the Marketplace. I think this ALS controller is amazing. Just need a workflow that works, for applying it to an advanced character.

Anyways, if anyone has successfully retargeted the ALS_AnimBP, or the ALS animations to Kubold's Katiusza, and replaced the SK_Mannequin in the ALS_Demo_Map with Katiusza, can you please list a step by step workflow. The online tutorials do not work with ALS ... I have tried them all, and I can't figure it out. Should be straight forward with a few tweeks. That would really save me a lot of time, and perhaps help others with the same problem. Then I can work on adding swimming, facial expressions, and Kubold's animations.

Thanks in advance for any help.

Comment

Originally posted by CrashA51 View Post
                              Hello,

I have tried many times to replace the character in the demo level with Kubold's Katiusza character, following normal retargeting work flow, and every time retargeting crashes the editor. Katiusza has a few extra bones for eyes, and there are two Virtual bones in the ALS character. I set up the common rig, set smaller shoulders and IK bones to animation, adjust Katiusza pose to match, add the VB to Katiusza, ignore the eye bones, etc. When I then hit Retarget Anim Assets, to retarget an animation, or try to retarget the ALS_AnimBP, it just crashes. The Mannequin_PostProcess_AnimBP does not crash upon retargeting. I was able to retarget a character with a very different skeleton from blender without crashing, but anims look wonkie and require time in Blender to fix, and the character remains in a T pose in the level ... so I though I would save some time by using Kubold's character, which has a nearly identical skeleton. Once I have a humanoid character, I want to build out the state machine, and add swimming, prone, crouch, etc .... using the ALS demo level as a sandbox until I get the animations right.

I was able to attach the new Paragon eyes to the character, and they look fantastic. Wish there were more "advanced" characters, with eye, eyelid, tongue, teeth, realistic looking Character rigs, like Stefan's https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YalS_A8eYJw, to use with ALS, offered on the Marketplace. I think this ALS controller is amazing. Just need a workflow that works, for applying it to an advanced character.

Anyways, if anyone has successfully retargeted the ALS_AnimBP, or the ALS animations to Kubold's Katiusza, and replaced the SK_Mannequin in the ALS_Demo_Map with Katiusza, can you please list a step by step workflow. The online tutorials do not work with ALS ... I have tried them all, and I can't figure it out. Should be straight forward with a few tweeks. That would really save me a lot of time, and perhaps help others with the same problem. Then I can work on adding swimming, facial expressions, and Kubold's animations.

Thanks in advance for any help.
                              Hey, sorry you are having difficulties. I haven't encountered a problem like this before. Have you tried waiting to add the virtual bones until after you retarget? I know working with virtual bones can sometimes cause the editor to crash.

Comment

Good Idea, I will hold off on the virtual bones and see what happens. Either way, I will stick with it until I get it figured out, because I definitely want to use ALS in my projects. It looks so good, and I just want to see the results with a human character ... I think it would be fantastic. The SK_Mannequin gets a bit boring after looking at it all this time. Can't wait to see what you do with Update 3, if there is one, knowing how busy you are now. Kubold mentioned a First Person camera method where you "meat hook" the head to the camera, and the rest follows, eliminating head boob. That, or the IK Spline solution, would be my vote for Update 3. Look at your sales, please don't abandon this, you are one of the most talented sellers on the Marketplace. Props ...
                                Last edited by CrashA51; 06-28-2017, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X