Name:	mesh_tool_960x400.png
Views:	1
Size:	262.8 KB
ID:	1221389

Available on Unreal Marketplace and itch.io

Mesh Tool Youtube Playlist

Mesh Tool User Guide (WIP)

Mesh Tool Issue Tracker

Mesh Tool is a mesh editor for Unreal Engine. It allows you to edit mesh assets and prototype props and levels in Unreal Editor.

Click image for larger version

Name:	MeshTool_screenshot_1.jpg
Size:	133.3 KB
ID:	1221390

Name:	MeshTool_screenshot_2.jpg
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	1221391

Name:	MeshTool_screenshot_3.jpg
Size:	143.0 KB
ID:	1221392

Name:	MeshTool_screenshot_4.jpg
Size:	185.8 KB
ID:	1221393

Name:	MeshTool_screenshot_5.jpg
Size:	185.2 KB
ID:	1221394

Name:	MeshTool_screenshot_6.jpg
Size:	193.1 KB
ID:	1221395

Name:	MeshTool_screenshot_7.jpg
Size:	174.4 KB
ID:	1221396

Name:	MeshTool_screenshot_8.jpg
Size:	159.9 KB
ID:	1221397

Name:	MeshTool_screenshot_9.jpg
Size:	201.8 KB
ID:	1221398

Name:	MeshTool_screenshot_10.jpg
Size:	205.0 KB
ID:	1221399

Feature List

Spoiler

Change Log

Spoiler
    Last edited by Nate; 07-29-2017, 05:54 AM. Reason: Update 1.0.7 change log
    | twitter | github | #ue4tip

Looks promising
    [FREE] Procedural Bridge Blueprint, [FREE] Spline Enabled Ivy BP

Comment

Reminds me of Lumberyard Level-Editing.
      This could be a very popular Tool in UE4....

Comment

Hi [MENTION=702]Nate[/MENTION],

Looks really cool. If you are planning to sell this at the same price as your Instance Tool count me in as a day 1 buyer . I also saw your pivot tool and like the idea. I would suggest combining both tools into one package. This new "Mesh Edit Mode" could really speed up level prototyping.

One suggested feature: Add the ability to subdivide a face or entire mesh. You can do something similar to Blender -> Select a face and then press a button to just double the number of faces. This would add huge versatility IMO.

I can image the workflow being -> Use BSP to create basic shapes or start with a basic cube and then subdivide faces and extrude.

Just some suggestions

Keep up the good work!
        [WIP] Animal Behavior Kit | Procedural City Generator
        [MARKETPLACE] Space Shooter Template | Procedural Foliage Tool
        [FREE] Modular Road Tool | Action Platformer Template | Radar BP
        Join our Discord

Comment

Updated DevLog of Week2. And thanks folks, for all the kind words.

[MENTION=49600]CoquiGames[/MENTION], I haven't figured out how to proper subdivide a triangle face without dramatically increase the poly count, but your suggestion motivated me to add the Split Edge command. And the Poor Man's Extrude.

Comment

Good Lord, finally someone is working on this!!!

Do you plan on having clipping tool (like Knife tool in Blender) and functionality to remove selected triangles ? (I'd like to chop off parts of the mesh that protrude into terrain and cut out holes in my mesh terrain)

Comment

Very nice [MENTION=702]Nate[/MENTION]!!

This is already looking like a huge timer saver for simple mesh adjustments! I can see myself importing a mesh from Blender and then making simple adjustments with this tool to change scale, etc.

One thing to consider (and this may be hard) - what about UV mapping? If you start with a simple cube and subdivide / extrude several faces, how will the UVs be created?

Keep up the good work!
              [WIP] Animal Behavior Kit | Procedural City Generator
              [MARKETPLACE] Space Shooter Template | Procedural Foliage Tool
              [FREE] Modular Road Tool | Action Platformer Template | Radar BP
              Join our Discord

Comment

This is great, I do really hope you expand on this quite a bit (it has massive potential in engines like this). UV map generation, lightmap generation, extruding, beveling, etc will really make this an ultimate level designer tool for layouts.
                Stylized Low Poly Environment
                Stylized Low Poly Pine Forest
                Stylized Low Poly Buildings
                First Person Horror Template

Comment

Yeah stuff like this is sorely missing from the UE4 editor. Nice work!

Comment

Originally posted by motorsep View Post
                    Do you plan on having clipping tool (like Knife tool in Blender) and functionality to remove selected triangles ? (I'd like to chop off parts of the mesh that protrude into terrain and cut out holes in my mesh terrain)
                    I'll definitely add "Remove faces" functionality (I think it'll be useful to delete useless faces after actor merge). Not sure about Knife tool, I understand tools like that could be useful but I have to be very careful to not make a full feature modeler to compete with blender . (Probally a bad idea considering that's my first ever mesh editor) But I do like to explore the idea to add basic mesh boolean operation.

Originally posted by CoquiGames View Post
                    Very nice [MENTION=702]Nate[/MENTION]what about UV mapping? If you start with a simple cube and subdivide / extrude several faces, how will the UVs be created?
                    Good question! That's something keep me thinking these couple days, from my little "google research", there're basically 2 ways: 1) Auto UV projection whenever mesh being edited (e.g. extrude), could be simple Box Mapping or could be complex as LSCM or As-Rigid-As-Possible). 2) Do it via shader voodoo, like World Space UV Mapping or Object Space Triplanar Mapping. Haven't decided which way to go.

Originally posted by Shirk View Post
                    This is great, I do really hope you expand on this quite a bit (it has massive potential in engines like this). UV map generation, lightmap generation, extruding, beveling, etc will really make this an ultimate level designer tool for layouts.
                    To be honest, I haven't quite made up my mind the scope of Mesh Tool. But I like to keep playing around see how far it'll go

Comment

Week3 - Auto UV Correction

Adding a simple method to auto correct uv while editing static mesh inside editor.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate View Post
                        I'll definitely add "Remove faces" functionality (I think it'll be useful to delete useless faces after actor merge).
                        Absolutely ! (with preservation of UV maps, vertex normals and vertex colors)

Comment

Week3 - Delete hidden faces after merge actors inside UE4 editor

[MENTION=1680]motorsep[/MENTION], I hope that will put some smiles on your face

Comment

Week3 - Assign Smoothing Group and Recompute Normals

Re-assign smoothing group and re-compute normals to achive hard edge looking.

Comment

Originally posted by Nate View Post
                              Week3 - Delete hidden faces after merge actors inside UE4 editor

[MENTION=1680]motorsep[/MENTION], I hope that will put some smiles on your face
                              Haha, it did Do you have "L" hotkey to select linked tris ? (like in Blender)

Does it already preserve UV maps and other stuff?

How would it work with static mesh actors that have LODs ?

Btw, awesome job you are doing there, sir!

Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X