Weapon Master VR Support Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by OneShotGG View Post
    Depends on what you mean by Two handed rifle support.

Right now if you move your off hand into the stabilization area and press that controller's trigger you will "attach" the offhand and stabilize the weapon (lowers recoil). You can even drop the rifle with your main hand and it will remain attached to your off hand (for bolt action rifle manipulation). If you want both hands to affect aiming, that isn't currently in, but I plan on adding it at some point as an option (don't quote me but I want this in for the first update if at all possible).

Just a heads up everyone, stabilization has taken longer than I initially expected because I am trying to write a system that will work with future attachments like grenade launchers as well. So far I have gone through like 5 different versions until I landed on the one I am currently bug testing. The vive's lack of buttons has made it a huge headache, I cannot wait for the new controller! The video is late in coming but I hope to have it out by tomorrow at the latest.
    Awesome! Yeah I meant 2 handed aiming similar to onward. I have been trying for a while but I can't get it to work.
    In League

Comment

Originally posted by FatMoth View Post
      Awesome! Yeah I meant 2 handed aiming similar to onward. I have been trying for a while but I can't get it to work.
      Its on the "to do" list but I likely won't get to it for a while. I am not even sure if it is possible using unreal's attachment system.

I know someone on the VR board, mordentral(sp?), made a c++ plugin that has that feature.

I am going to be doing a lot of QOL scripting the next two days as well as putting in a better hand system. Hopefully ill have a new video this weekend.
      Heavy Diesel Softworks, LLC - Owner

Comment

Its on the "to do" list but I likely won't get to it for a while. I am not even sure if it is possible using unreal's attachment system.

I know someone on the VR board, mordentral(sp?), made a c++ plugin that has that feature.

I am going to be doing a lot of QOL scripting the next two days as well as putting in a better hand system. Hopefully ill have a new video this weekend.
        Its possible, you can alter the relative position of the attached component to its parent to rotate it to the forward hand, the problem is that late updates throw accuracy out the window which is why I turn them off for the held object in my plugin when using two hands.

You should try to do it, its not that hard if you do it like VRTK does it (just getting the rotation to face at the hand), and force objects to be X forward in their models. My method is significantly more complex and I doubt people even notice the difference too often (no Z+/Z- singularity on rotation or X forward requirement).
        Last edited by mordentral; 01-27-2017, 09:36 AM.

Consider supporting me on patreon

My Open source tools and plugins
        Advanced Sessions Plugin
        VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Originally posted by mordentral View Post
          Its possible, you can alter the relative position of the attached component to its parent to rotate it to the forward hand, the problem is that late updates throw accuracy out the window which is why I turn them off for the held object in my plugin when using two hands.

You should try to do it, its not that hard if you do it like VRTK does it (just getting the rotation to face at the hand), and force objects to be X forward in their models. My method is significantly more complex and I doubt people even notice the difference too often (no Z+/Z- singularity on rotation or X forward requirement).
          So it should aim towards the direction the "off hand" is facing? I assume I would just take the world location of both motion controllers, subtract them, get a rotationfromxvector and then plug that value into setrealtiverotation for the scene component that weapons attach to?

My system works by going Motion controller -> Weapon Attach Point (A blank scene component) -> attached weapon (skeletal mesh). I actually do all recoil logic (Using relative rotations) on the Weapon attach point that is attached to the motion controller. It is set as X forward.

Also, while I got you here, do you have any idea why some objects, particularly ones that fire something like guns, will "hitch" shorty after executing their "Fire" scripts. The hitch looks like the weapon mesh doubles for a half second and is really annoying. I actually thought this was a bug in my project but after trying out the gun in your template it does the same thing! If you want to see for yourself pick up your gun with one hand and fire off a few rounds while moving the gun around through the air. After you stop firing it should be hitching.
          Last edited by OneShotGG; 01-27-2017, 07:13 PM.

Comment

So it should aim towards the direction the "off hand" is facing? I assume I would just take the world location of both motion controllers, subtract them, get a rotationfromxvector and then plug that value into setrealtiverotation for the scene component that weapons attach to?

My system works by going Motion controller -> Weapon Attach Point (A blank scene component) -> attached weapon (skeletal mesh). I actually do all recoil logic (Using relative rotations) on the Weapon attach point that is attached to the motion controller. It is set as X forward.

Also, while I got you here, do you have any idea why some objects, particularly ones that fire something like guns, will "hitch" shorty after executing their "Fire" scripts. The hitch looks like the weapon mesh doubles for a half second and is really annoying. I actually thought this was a bug in my project but after trying out the gun in your template it does the same thing! If you want to see for yourself pick up your gun with one hand and fire off a few rounds while moving the gun around through the air. After you stop firing it should be hitching.
            Clicking the trigger hitches the tracking for the controllers due to the vibration, it is pretty aggravating i'll agree. It happens when the trigger snaps/clicks back into position when letting go (the controllers are really sensitive). You can pick up a normal object and just drag your finger across the trigger until it snaps back to really notice it easily.

Also for the rotation, Find Look At Rotation is a node that exists and will find the rotation needed to have the XForward of the object point at another point in space, its from xVector but already compartmentalized for you. You can apply the fire recoil after the actual rotation to face the gun so that you don't need to change anything.
            Last edited by mordentral; 01-27-2017, 07:58 PM.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
            VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

Clicking the trigger hitches the tracking for the controllers due to the vibration, it is pretty aggravating i'll agree. It happens when the trigger snaps/clicks back into position when letting go (the controllers are really sensitive). You can pick up a normal object and just drag your finger across the trigger until it snaps back to really notice it easily.

Also for the rotation, Find Look At Rotation is a node that exists and will find the rotation needed to have the XForward of the object point at another point in space, its from xVector but already compartmentalized for you. You can apply the fire recoil after the actual rotation to face the gun so that you don't need to change anything.
              Yeah, i saw the find look at rotation node while experimenting and got it to work but there is an issue. The problem is the yaw value changes when i physically rotate my head or body so the gun spins as well.

I am setting relative rotation so i am not sure why this is happening.

Just to clarify, should i be getting the world location for the two controllers or the relative location? Should I be setting the world rotation or relative rotation?

I assume relative for both answers, not sure why headset rotation is effecting it.

Comment

Yeah, i saw the find look at rotation node while experimenting and got it to work but there is an issue. The problem is the yaw value changes when i physically rotate my head or body so the gun spins as well.

I am setting relative rotation so i am not sure why this is happening.

Just to clarify, should i be getting the world location for the two controllers or the relative location? Should I be setting the world rotation or relative rotation?

I assume relative for both answers, not sure why headset rotation is effecting it.
                You should be getting world location of the two controllers, headset rotation shouldn't effect anything anyway though.

Advanced Sessions Plugin
                VR Expansion Plugin

Comment

You should be getting world location of the two controllers, headset rotation shouldn't effect anything anyway though.
                  Yeah I figured it out. I feel kind of stupid now, it was so dead simple. It works really well too! Stacking the controllers a bit really gives you good control.

Thanks so much for your help! Also thanks so much for all the tips you provide people here as well your awesome VR template!

Originally posted by FatMoth View Post
                  Requoting you since I think we have added what you are looking for now!

I am going to put up a video tomorrow or sunday highlighting some of the QOL improvements I have made since adding in stabilization.
                  Last edited by OneShotGG; 01-28-2017, 12:03 AM.

Comment

Will you be adding a scoped rifle with zoom capabilities in future updates?
                    [Need game models?] [My latest Drone.]

[My UE4 Marketplace]

Comment

Originally posted by MeshMagnet View Post
                      Will you be adding a scoped rifle with zoom capabilities in future updates?
                      Right now the ACOG scope zooms. Are you asking for multi-zoom optics? As in a single scope that can have 1x, 3x, 8x zoom that can change on the fly? If so the answer is Yes, but it wont be until we add in bolt action rifles. I intend to also create a muti-zoom scope that will allow you to change it zoom level by interacting with one of its knobs. I have no idea when that will be though. Version 1.4 is the target but that might get pushed back one update.

Comment

Right now the ACOG scope zooms. Are you asking for multi-zoom optics? As in a single scope that can have 1x, 3x, 8x zoom that can change on the fly? If so the answer is Yes, but it wont be until we add in bolt action rifles. I intend to also create a muti-zoom scope that will allow you to change it zoom level by interacting with one of its knobs. I have no idea when that will be though. Version 1.4 is the target but that might get pushed back one update.
                        Thanks for the fast response. I was thinking something with multi-zoom like you described. Or, possibly a set of binoculars if you're up for it.
                        [Need game models?] [My latest Drone.]

[My UE4 Marketplace]

Comment

Originally posted by MeshMagnet View Post
                          Thanks for the fast response. I was thinking something with multi-zoom like you described. Or, possibly a set of binoculars if you're up for it.
                          I'll see what I can do for the first update. Any scope can be used as a monocular btw :P .

Comment

Hey everyone, I have been struggling the past few days to polish off the two handed aiming. Right now the big issue, that I didn't notice at first, is that I cannot get right hand wrist roll and rotation based on left hand position to play nice with each other. I dont have a video for you right now, but I will tell you what I have added in or fixed recently:

- Fixed the logic for magazine weapons that had the bolt locking back when empty and no magazine (guns only lock the slide back if the magazine is loaded and there is no ammo).
                            - Reworked recoil logic to be way simpler and more adjustable
                            - Reworked inventory so that the inventory spaces will turn green if you can holster or unholster something. This makes it WAAYYY easier to use the inventory (no more guess work and dropping!) These changes include the bullet/mag inventory as well.
                            - Fixed a bug where you could have multiple attachments in one slot.
                            - Stabilization with the offhand now turns off late update so that aiming through sights is easier (less jittery and lag is not really noticeable).
                            - There is a stabilization skeletal hand mesh now that is part of the gun. It gets set to visble and not visible depending on if you are stabilizing or not. (This is the very beginning of our hand animation for guns system)
                            - Added in initial attempt at two handed weapon handling. Pitch and Yaw works fine but wrist roll isn't currently working. (still needs a lot of work)

I will be gone on vacation wed-sun of this week so I likely wont be around. When I get back I expect the final push for version 1.0 to be a couple weeks. Adding in a few last minute features has pushed submittal back but I think it will be worth it for you guys.

Comment

So quick update, after changing up how our gun hierarchy works, and a bunch of help from mitch over on the VR boards, we have figured out 2 handed weapon handling. I should have a couple new videos out tomorrow and I will be starting on the example levels on sunday.

Weapon Master VR 1.0 is now feature complete and we are in the final stretch for submittal. Once the example levels are complete and we squash as many bugs as we can I will be sending WM off to epic.

Comment

Updated with new video.

Comment

Working...
                                X