Advanced 6DOF movement

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[GAUGING INTEREST] Advanced 6DOF movement

Would anyone be interested in a 6DOF movement plugin?

This will allow your game to have movement similar to 6DOF shooters like Descent, Forsaken, Hellbender etc.
    This is very simple concept, but i'm going to add some extra features:

-Choice of multiple acceleration models. Linear that behaves like a spacecraft with reaction engines in frictionless environment should behave. Exponential has no basis in reality, but subjectively feels better
    -Can work as physics-based (applying forces to physx body), or as regular movement component (similar to UE4's built-in "floating" and "character" controller)
    -Gravity can be turned on or off, or replaced with your own gravity vector
    -Wind (should work via GetWind function override, same as in EasyFM)
    -Separate speed and inertia for each axis of movement.
    -Multiplayer compatible (first i have to do tests to see if standard movement replication is good for this or I need to write my own)
    -Code plugin, works with both Blueprint and C++
    -...and more (suggestions?)

EDIT: Released on Gumroad: https://gumroad.com/l/sixdof
    EDIT2: Playable demo: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...XNnTThsTkRYckk
    EDIT3: RELEASED: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...ixdof-movement
    Not interested
    9.68%
    Interested
    74.19%
    Maybe
    16.13%
    Last edited by moookiexl; 04-13-2017, 03:11 PM.

would it be able to be flown like a "drone"?
    If yes count me in

Comment

Originally posted by Lynkk View Post
      would it be able to be flown like a "drone"?
      If yes count me in
      What exactly do you mean by flown like a drone? Something like a quadcopter? Yes if you enable gravity it would behave quite similar (although obviously not a completely realistic simulation).

Comment

Like Dead Space zero gravity mode, or a Space simulation. I think it's looking great!
        i would love to see someone simulate the international space station in VR with this.
        Last edited by Living Systems; 11-18-2016, 04:27 PM.

Comment

I am very interested in this.

Just a few thoughts on this plugin though -

1. Having the abillity to walk around and transition to 6 DOF Zero G Would be great and back. Akin to Shattered Horizions. Maybe as a component?
          2. Having a volume that forces the player to Walk around the level but can be toggled off by events in the world.
          Example: Walk to the gravity generator turn it off and transition to Zero G. Turn the Gravity generator back on and Transition back to a walking state.
          3. Having the abillity to throttle up and down would be nice.
          4. Having a boost or afterburner option would be great as well.

How much do you plan on charging for this?

Thanks,
          HeadClot
          Last edited by HeadClot; 11-18-2016, 09:42 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HeadClot View Post
            I am very interested in this.

Just a few thoughts on this plugin though -

1. Having the abillity to walk around and transition to 6 DOF Zero G Would be great and back. Akin to Shattered Horizions. Maybe as a component?
            2. Having a volume that forces the player to Walk around the level but can be toggled off by events in the world.
            Example: Walk to the gravity generator turn it off and transition to Zero G. Turn the Gravity generator back on and Transition back to a walking state.
            3. Having the abillity to throttle up and down would be nice.
            4. Having a boost or afterburner option would be great as well.

How much do you plan on charging for this?

Thanks,
            HeadClot
            1. At the moment it's only flying movement, but I can try if some kind of simple walking can be accomplished. Can't promise anything though, never done anything like that before. And yes, it's all done as a component and can be combined with other movement components.
            2. Gravity override function is currently being worked on, when it's done this will be possible.
            3. All movement is already fully analog, so that's possible.
            4. Speed limit and inertia for each axis can be changed during gameplay. Boost and other similar movement modifiers are already possible.

Not sure about the price yet. So far it's simpler than my other plugins, so I should charge less, but I don't know how complex it turns out to be when it's done.
            It certainly won't be more than usual $25, most likely less than that.
            Last edited by moookiexl; 11-19-2016, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Sorry for long delay. So it turns out that i *will* have to make my own movement replication, so working on that. Should work on similar principle as what's in easyfm.
              Also, working on a little Descent clone as a demo project for the plugin:
              Click image for larger version

Name:	ship.png
Views:	1
Size:	141.3 KB
ID:	1119614

I'm still trying to finish it before the end of the year, but really can't promise anything, it turned out to be a bit more complex than i initially expected.

Comment

Progress report:

Name:	screenshot.png
Size:	875.4 KB
ID:	1120254

-movement replication done

-physics and non-physics movement done

-overrides done

-two new acceleration modes:
                square - realistic air resistance
                frictionless - newtonian movement in vacuum - keeps going forever unless acted upon, speed limit and wind of course don't apply (but gravity still does)

-currently working on: autopilot

Comment

This looks really good so far

Comment

"main" functionality all done.
                    Now i'm focusing on making this thing as easy to use as possible.
                    Here's how it's going to work:

Name:	input.png
Size:	89.4 KB
ID:	1120441
                    ...and that's it.
                    Transforming inputs into appropriate space (world, local, or you can input your own rotator, for instance relative to chase camera like in the demo above), replication, that will all be done by the plugin.

Comment

Color me intrigued. Gonna subscribe to this one.

Side note: Thinking more of Battlestar Galatica style mechanics on my side. Are there specific keybinds for Roll? And how hard would it be to do something like a fast 180 degree flip and maintain the previous direction of momentum(assuming gravity plays into this)?
                      Current Project - *shush shush* Ehh.. When its ready?

Comment

Originally posted by Arixsus View Post
                        Color me intrigued. Gonna subscribe to this one.

Side note: Thinking more of Battlestar Galatica style mechanics on my side. Are there specific keybinds for Roll? And how hard would it be to do something like a fast 180 degree flip and maintain the previous direction of momentum(assuming gravity plays into this)?
                        -Yes, there's either direct roll input or you can set a direction vector and let autopilot hold roll relative to that.
                        -Velocity is maintained when you change direction, so yeah, you can simply flip 180 degrees and you'll continue flying backwards, no additional inputs required.

Comment

Originally posted by moookiexl View Post
                          -Yes, there's either direct roll input or you can set a direction vector and let autopilot hold roll relative to that.
                          -Velocity is maintained when you change direction, so yeah, you can simply flip 180 degrees and you'll continue flying backwards, no additional inputs required.
                          Awesome. I will look forward to this!
                          Current Project - *shush shush* Ehh.. When its ready?

Comment

OK, everything almost ready, just doing some final "cleanup".
                            Gumroad release should be in a couple of days. Marketplace release when/if it gets accepted.

Meanwhile, try out the multiplayer demo.

>>> https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B2...XNnTThsTkRYckk <<<

Name:	ss6.jpg
Size:	102.3 KB
ID:	1120835Click image for larger version

Name:	ss5.jpg
Size:	77.9 KB
ID:	1120836

Name:	ss2.jpg
Size:	83.6 KB
ID:	1120838Click image for larger version

Name:	ss4.jpg
Size:	102.9 KB
ID:	1120839

Controls:
                            Mouse - look
                            LMB - shoot
                            WASD - move
                            Q, E - roll
                            R, F - strafe vertical

Keep in mind this is only one of many possible behaviors possible with this plugin, see above post about different physics and acceleration modes.
                            And of course, all assets and project files from this game will come with the plugin.

Have fun
                            Attached Files

Comment

You mentioned having to make your own movement for replication. My understanding is that the charactercomponent has client side prediction built into it, but if you want to do something other than a character, like a vehicle in this case, you have to do it yourself. Will your custom movement handle client side prediction?

Comment

Working...
                              X