No announcement yet.

How can we improve UE4 Documentation?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi! my name is John and I'm working with Unreal for a long time, the sound into Unreal is my job but when I need some information about it in my opinion is very limited and with the old version (4.12, 4.13) I'd like to have more information/tutorials about new audio system, new ambisonic implementation, etc, with the newest version of Unreal.

The sound is one of those forgotten in production.

Anyway the changes you're making in the documentation is amazing and look nicely

Thanks in advance

Comment

• Jim.Bradbury commented
      Editing a comment
      Hi, and thanks for the feedback! We are aware of the limited documentation available for the new audio engine, and are aggressively working to produce some quality Online Learning tutorials, as well as a rich set of traditional documentation. I can assure you that the Audio team 'feels your pain', and is pushing us hard to get some materials out the door. Thanks for your on-going support and patience!

Can you add documentation about blueprint online multiplayer implementation ? Thanx

Comment

Suggestion related to the documentation sidebar / table of contents: It would be nice if the topics were sorted in a more meaningful way. For example, Engine Features -> Rendering and Graphics starts with "Fog Effects", then "Virtual Texturing" and only then "Rendering Overview", which IMO should come first of all.

Comment

Put more specific use-cases with pictures from actually doing it in the Unreal Engine throughout the docs. It doesn't have to be full-fledged, final products ready to get sold in the marketplace. But at least showing, in some cases extensively or in a bit more detail than is currently shown, what exactly is involved in accomplishing the effect / using feature(s) / placing it in the scene.

Try summarizing the point at, click, click & hold, left mouse button / right mouse button, etc instructions. This is repeated in a number of basic how-to's and other articles. It could be something such as:

LMB click-hold, drag to viewport, release
      R-click in material graph, type "texture", click "Texture_Sample" (node is placed where cursor is)

Use those kinds of instructions rather than spelling out every word and forming what, by stricter English standards, become lengthy, run-on sentences. It's easier to read and even makes the docs more approachable.
      Last edited by presto423; 06-25-2020, 12:03 PM. Reason: more concise

Comment

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...low/index.html

This page says: "Our development and support teams currently use the latest version of Ubuntu; as a result, we may not be able to provide support for other Linux distributions (including other versions of Ubuntu). Additionally, read about Hardware and Software Specifications , and make sure your system has at least ten (10) gigabytes of disk space before performing the following steps."

In reality this came out to be 78.7GB. It might be better to update this to state "make sure your system has at least eighty (80) gigabytes of disk space".

Comment

• echo_four commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey atomicxblue! Thanks for reaching out to us. That's a pretty big difference in disk space. I'll pass this along so we can look into updating that page.

• echo_four commented
          Editing a comment
          Hey atomicxblue. I've increased the recommended amount of space to 100 gigs (it's what we agreed internally would be a safer number). The change should be published within a few days. Thanks again and let us know if you spot anything else we can improve.

We've un-sticky'd this post and we'll likely be locking it in the near future. We're working to streamline our forums, and part of that process is reducing and refocusing the sticky'd pages that appear at the the top of our forums. We really appreciate all of the great responses and feedback in this thread, and we really hope you keep it coming! Look for more moves and updates in the near future.
        Last edited by echo_four; 06-25-2020, 10:56 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X