Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Reporting Issues for Documentation

Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    Reporting Issues for Documentation

    First off, thank you for taking the time to help us improve UE4 Documentation!

    We request that issues found within documentation please be submitted within this thread (this may change at a later date). If you have multiple issues to report, we ask that you use your best judgment and if need be make a separate reply for each. This will allow us to track each issue more easily.

    HOW TO REPORT ISSUES WITHIN THIS THREAD

    • Please remember to always Search the thread first, to see if your issue has already been reported.
    • If your issue has not been previously reported, then please proceed to reply to this thread specifying what the defect is.
    • Again, please make a new reply for each separate issue, and use the following format whenever you are able:

    Engine version: The version number of the Unreal Engine which you are currently using. For example: 4.7.2. This is mainly for when you are reporting an issue, that a certain portion of documentation is out-of-date, and to show what version of the engine this was checked against.

    Detailed description of the issue: Please remember to include all potentially relevant information (what page you were on, where the issue is located, linking to the page itself).

    Screenshots: We encourage you to include a screenshot(s) whenever they may prove helpful in understanding the issue.

    Additional info that is helpful: Browser used, how you were viewing the documentation (mobile, tablet, second monitor with different resolution). This will be primarily helpful when there appears to be a formatting issue present. Example: I was viewing the documentation on a tablet and the search window is cutoff and unable to use.


    What kind of issues are we asking about?
    • Out-of-date information
    • Spelling or Punctuation errors
    • Out-of-date image(s)
    • Link errors (Wrong page, 404, ex...)
    • Formatting Issues


    Once again, we thank each and every one of you very much for your help!
    Brandon Sieprawski
    Documentation QA / Support

    #2
    Originally posted by Chariots
    Engine version: 4.7.4 (possibly 4.3 and up, see below)

    Description: Out-of-date information

    Details: In https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...esolutionlimit the section about Engine Texture Resolution Limit is wrong.



    This is incorrect, as can be seen on this short discussion, MAX_TEXTURE_MIP_COUNT is now 14, and only thing that is needed to enable 8192 textıre support is .ini file modification. Apparently, it has been this way since version 4.3.
    Thanks for the heads up Chariots! I think this is an easy fix. On that page it looks like the 14 mips info got added to the chart but just not updated as the max number in the info located higher up on the page.
    Brandon Sieprawski
    Documentation QA / Support

    Comment


      #3
      FActorSpawnParameter is lacking descriptions for each parameters (Copied from thread)

      Engine version: 4.7.5

      Detailed description of the issue: Article is lacking descriptions for each of the parameters stated. I am looking to see what the Instigator is for whom, the Owner of the Pawn, or an Actor acting on the Pawn.

      Screenshots/Links: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ers/index.html

      Additional info that is helpful: Not needed.

      Comment


        #4
        One issue for How to set up Character Movement:


        Detailed description of the issue: The video doesn't play and open a blank page.

        Screenshots/Links: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...nts/index.html

        Additional info that is helpful: I'm using Chrome Version 41.0.2272.118 m

        Comment


          #5
          Another issue in How to set up Character Movement:


          Detailed description of the issue: Wrong picture at step 13. Transistion to JOG_BS to Ifle_Rifle_Hip
          Screenshots/Links: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...Jog/index.html
          This picture



          Should be this:

          Last edited by zuert; 04-15-2015, 04:36 AM.

          Comment


            #6
            What about missing documentation?

            Hi Brandon. May I suggest an item that should be added to this thread?
            In the process of rebuilding the documentation, I've noticed pieces of information that have simply vanished.
            One example is the BSP documentation.

            You may refer to my other post here
            https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...tation-missing

            Tim says there's nothign wrong here, but I swear there used to be details on the geometry tools. There's no documentation now on any of this. See the screenshot
            Click image for larger version

Name:	geometry_tools.png
Views:	1
Size:	797.4 KB
ID:	1072367

            There is documentation missing for
            Edit, Brush Clip, Lathe, Extrude, Pen
            > and all the details associated with those tools.

            None of that is documented anymore, and if it is, then I don't know where to find it.

            I think newcomers to the engine should still be able to access BSP Brushes in a knowledgeable way even though they are gradually being phased out. I think they still have a purpose in the prototype workflow.

            Cheers, Rigel

            Comment


              #7
              Speaking of that, do you know what the Optimize is for? I used it before and, well, let's just say it crashed a few times back in 4.3.

              Comment


                #8
                The entry for material editor hotkeys in the online documentation has comment and componentMask mixed up.
                It says that comment is Shift+C and componentMask is C, but in the 4.7.5 version of the engine its the opposite. Shift+C makes a componentMask and C makes a comment.

                thanks for the awesome engine

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by asperatology View Post
                  Speaking of that, do you know what the Optimize is for? I used it before and, well, let's just say it crashed a few times back in 4.3.
                  Nope. I have no idea, because it isn't documented. Case in Point.

                  Regards, Rigel

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Engine Version: 4.7.5
                    Detailed description of the issue: Documentation is out of date, specifically meta is missing many attributes (i.e. FriendlyName).
                    Links: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ata/index.html

                    Comment


                      #11
                      Originally posted by zuert View Post
                      One issue for How to set up Character Movement:


                      Detailed description of the issue: The video doesn't play and open a blank page.

                      Screenshots/Links: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...nts/index.html

                      Additional info that is helpful: I'm using Chrome Version 41.0.2272.118 m
                      Hey Zuert!
                      thanks for the heads up about the video. I put in a request to get that fixed. It appears when you left click it tries to open the video in the new page but no video plays. My work around was to right click and open the video in a new tab or window and it seemed to play fine.
                      Hope this helps.
                      -Brandon
                      Brandon Sieprawski
                      Documentation QA / Support

                      Comment


                        #12
                        Originally posted by zuert View Post
                        Another issue in How to set up Character Movement:


                        Detailed description of the issue: Wrong picture at step 13. Transistion to JOG_BS to Ifle_Rifle_Hip
                        Screenshots/Links: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...Jog/index.html
                        This picture
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]34588[/ATTACH]

                        Should be this:
                        [ATTACH=CONFIG]34590[/ATTACH]
                        Hey Zuert!
                        looking at getting a request in to fix this. But the links to your images you are pointing out dont seem to work on my end. They give me an invalid attachment message. Can you try sending them to me please
                        Brandon Sieprawski
                        Documentation QA / Support

                        Comment


                          #13
                          Originally posted by master_rigel View Post
                          Hi Brandon. May I suggest an item that should be added to this thread?
                          In the process of rebuilding the documentation, I've noticed pieces of information that have simply vanished.
                          One example is the BSP documentation.

                          You may refer to my other post here
                          https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...tation-missing

                          Tim says there's nothign wrong here, but I swear there used to be details on the geometry tools. There's no documentation now on any of this. See the screenshot
                          [ATTACH=CONFIG]34707[/ATTACH]

                          There is documentation missing for
                          Edit, Brush Clip, Lathe, Extrude, Pen
                          > and all the details associated with those tools.

                          None of that is documented anymore, and if it is, then I don't know where to find it.

                          I think newcomers to the engine should still be able to access BSP Brushes in a knowledgeable way even though they are gradually being phased out. I think they still have a purpose in the prototype workflow.

                          Cheers, Rigel
                          Hey Rigel,
                          I think most of the confusion is coming from the change of BSP to Geometry mode. There was originally BSP documentation that was left over from udk/ue3 docs but once Geometry became the new way of doing things a lot of the older docs were redone. Now as for those tools/options (Edit, Brush Clip, Lathe, Extrude, Pen) under Geometry editing mode I can put in a request for better clarification on those features.
                          Last edited by BSieprawski; 04-14-2015, 09:22 AM.
                          Brandon Sieprawski
                          Documentation QA / Support

                          Comment


                            #14
                            Originally posted by CybranM View Post
                            The entry for material editor hotkeys in the online documentation has comment and componentMask mixed up.
                            It says that comment is Shift+C and componentMask is C, but in the 4.7.5 version of the engine its the opposite. Shift+C makes a componentMask and C makes a comment.

                            thanks for the awesome engine
                            Thanks for the heads up CybranM!
                            This is an easy fix. I will edit the documentation too switch those hotkey's around
                            Brandon Sieprawski
                            Documentation QA / Support

                            Comment


                              #15
                              Originally posted by AdeptStrain View Post
                              Engine Version: 4.7.5
                              Detailed description of the issue: Documentation is out of date, specifically meta is missing many attributes (i.e. FriendlyName).
                              Links: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ata/index.html
                              Thanks for the info AdeptStrain!
                              I put in a request to get this issue fixed.
                              - Brandon
                              Brandon Sieprawski
                              Documentation QA / Support

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X