This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by asperatology View Post
    Are we focusing on blueprint documentation, or C++ documentation?
    Neither. All of it.
    Unreal Engine Documentation
    Bored? Follow me! @ffejnosliw

Comment

Could there be reference links between blueprints and its C++ doppleganger for each of both the blueprints articles and the C++ articles? If users were able to transcribe blueprints to C++ and vice versa, our documentation will be completely programmer-designer friendly.

Comment

Originally posted by asperatology View Post
        Could there be reference links between blueprints and its C++ doppleganger for each of both the blueprints articles and the C++ articles? If users were able to transcribe blueprints to C++ and vice versa, our documentation will be completely programmer-designer friendly.
        I love this idea. I have both a programmer and designer background. I can write boilerplate without much difficulty, but when I'm working with hundreds of objects I can no longer hold my head above water. This doesn't mean however that I can't read API docs. If I could click a link to see the class, the input type(s), output type(s), and exception list in written form, this would let me decide better if I want to use that function in my blueprints.

Cheers, Rigel

Comment

First of all, I would like to commend you all for the great work you have all done with the docs. I love the Docs more now than ever. So first of all, Thanks!

Suggested these in the past and even though it seemed everyone agreed to the need and even started to implement them, they seem to have lost focus at times now.

1) - Date & Version Stamp
          - Although this was an issue of concern by the community and partially implemented in the past, it seems to have fallen once again to the wayside.
          Which with all the reworking of the Docs one can understand it losing focus. Now though it should be reconsidered and fully implemented as a required part of the Docs.
          - This should be a required field on every page of the Documentation before it can be uploaded to or put in the Documentation.
          (For sake of clarity: This has always been a problem with all the updates & revisions that come out. A user can't tell whether or not the Doc should work with the version they are running or not.)
          (With all the new users this has become an even bigger problem now, more so than in the past & will become an even bigger problem in the future as new content is released.)
          (This will help everyone and especially those in charge of keeping the Documentation updated.)(This could also be applied for footnotes for when errors for certain versions are found and updated.)

****** Edit: Updating #2 Suggestion/Feedback *********
          -----although I had ran across this in the recent Docs, I cannot find the pictures I had found the issue with & have found that the ones I did find may have just been missing the link that opens the illustrations in a new window. A simple workaround is just to right click & use 'Open in New Window' which should work in most cases------

2) - Some of the Illustrations & Pictures are too small and can't be seen.
          - In the past most Tutorials & Documentation were updated to do this but recently after the updated Docs came out, I have seen this resurfacing and becoming a problem again.
          (ie: We don't all run 52" Monitors &/or dual + monitors. That should be enough explanation but if a user can't see the example's illustrations the example is almost useless.)

*** Edit: would like to add another suggestion for this Topic:
          - Rename this thread to reflect it's purpose more clearly
          - ie: Possibilities include:
          General Documentation Feedback (or) Documentation Feedback - Post Here! (or) Post Documentation Feedback Here!

*** Again thanks for the wonderful Documentation & all the efforts put forth by Epic & it's employees. TYVM ***
          Last edited by ayretek; 04-16-2015, 11:11 AM.

Comment

Example Code Please

as requested from this thread
            https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...3-example-code
            it would be of tremendous help if certain (or all/most) pages relating to c++ would have a complete example to copy/paste as it were.
            for example,
            https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...tivecomponents
            as does most code related documentation for ue4, all it says is blah jargon blah then gives a couple of isolated lines of code. this is wonderful when you already know pretty much what you are doing and need clarification on something but,

some people, myself included, would prefer to (and learn more easily and quickly from) blindly copy/paste a working example and then deconstruct and modify.
            so in the case of an actor component, it would be the simplest of implementations, enough to get the point across but not too much to make it confusing, maybe a simple primitive component for example.
            to add to that,
            even the basics have no code at all, for example unreal's special specifiers, ie UClass, UFunction ect.
            here is the class specifiers page
            https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ers/index.html
            it presents a big list of available options (with no example)
            click on an option, a common one might be Blueprintable, and there is a short description without an example.
            it would be really good if they all looked more like this page
            https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...act/index.html

another example that would really help me at the moment is any kind of documentation on vehicles c++. not just a list of variables but a description of how the classes involved interact and what they do.

i know it takes time to do
            thanks
            tegleg.co.uk - indie electronic music label
            Android + HTML5 WIP Physics Game
            PC Games - Android Apps

Comment

Originally posted by tegleg View Post
              as requested from this thread
              https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...3-example-code

to add to that,
              even the basics have no code at all, for example unreal's special specifiers, ie UClass, UFunction ect.
              here is the class specifiers page
              https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ers/index.html
              it presents a big list of available options (with no example)
              click on an option, a common one might be Blueprintable, and there is a short description without an example.
              it would be really good if they all looked more like this page
              https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...act/index.html

another example that would really help me at the moment is any kind of documentation on vehicles c++. not just a list of variables but a description of how the classes involved interact and what they do.

i know it takes time to do
              thanks
              Hey tegleg!
              thank you for re-posting this here. As Jeff Wilson said, this is definitely something they would love to do more of and there are eyes on this topic. It will just take some time. For now, are there any specific code examples that you could think of that would be beneficial to users. You mentioned the basics / specifiers page which is a good example. If there are anymore specific examples you can think of please send them my way.

Thanks,
              Brandon
              Brandon Sieprawski
              Documentation QA / Support

Comment

Is there any particular reason why a significant portion of C++ properties are undocumented? I've run into this a few times, where I can't figure out how to access a certain object. I'll look into the BP equivalent and see that it uses an undocumented property.

For instance in Apple's APIs, undocumented means forbidden, i.e. your app could crash in the future and we will reject your app if you use this.
                I'm guessing it's more of an oversight with UE4.

The most recent example I found in APlayerController:

Code:
                /** Camera manager associated with this Player Controller. */
                UPROPERTY(BlueprintReadOnly, Category=PlayerController)
                class APlayerCameraManager* PlayerCameraManager;

/** PlayerCamera class should be set for each game, otherwise Engine.PlayerCameraManager is used */
                UPROPERTY(EditAnywhere, BlueprintReadOnly, Category=PlayerController)
                TSubclassOf<class APlayerCameraManager> PlayerCameraManagerClass;
                Can't find any documentation for this property.

There are more cases like this, but I can't remember any right now.

Are you manually filtering the output of your doc generator, or how does something like this happen?
                Join us on IRC! We are on #unrealengine @ freenode.org

Comment

I thought of a way to improve the documentation.
                  Make it downloadable. Sure it's being updated all the time, but that's the beauty of technology. Just make the download updatable too.
                  Offline users already notch out time to download new engine versions when they come out anyway.

Here's an Example. Click here to Download the latest version of the Unity Manual.

Comment

I think the documentation could explain the underlying concepts of systems (e.g. Cascade, Audio...) better. By this I mean something like a high level technical or design documentation that connects the API docs with the general docs.
                    In general the single elements of the systems are covered quite good but it is hard to understand how they are supposed to work together and how I am supposed to use them (especially in programming/ blueprints).

For example the Audio system:
                    There is a section in the documentation that gives an overview and the API but they only explain what each element does on a very basic level.
                    For example it misses out that you need to set a BaseSoundMix to be able to overwrite it later. Which makes threads like that necessary to understand the system.

Comment

May've already been mentioned several times before in this thread (in which case I apologize) but the AI relevant documentation (Behavior Trees and Blackboards) are very much lacking in information regarding what's actually going on behind the scenes and how the different components tie in together.

It's taken me far too long than I care to admit to get a simple grasp on the usage of Behavior Trees in UE4 (not behavior trees in general) because the relevant docs are written in a...
                      1. Do this.
                      2. Do this.
                      3. Now do this.
                      4. Voila! You now have this very specific example working!

...style that, at the end of the day, doesn't really help us in developing our own AI.
                      Somewhat of a shame considering the system definitely looks expansive and useful once I'll get the hang of it.

Comment

Huh, it seems that my topics are not saved at all. So I try it as a comment here:

The manual for the installation of CodeWorks for Android on Linux is missing some steps.

First you have to ensure your /tmp/ directory to be executable. This can be done with the command:

Code:
                        mount -o remount,exec /tmp/
                        You also need the legacy libpng version 1.2. For Gentoo Linux the command is:

Code:
                        emerge libpng:1.2
                        This will solve some issues. It would be great to update the docs.

Comment

I'm really excited about all of the positive changes happening as you are pursing the enterprise markets like architecture and product design...keep up the amazing work! As a general comment about the documentation, it would be great to have an extensive troubleshooting section for each topic. It's great to have a clear explanation of how things are supposed to work, but when they don't, it would be nice to have some sort of information about common pitfalls.
                          Dave Gilbert
                          Visualization Artist
                          Earl Swensson Associates

Comment

Any docs on Chaos?

Comment

Originally posted by theProfessor View Post
                              Any docs on Chaos?
                              We should have some stuff for release, but not before then.
                              Tim Hobson | Learning Resources | Epic Games
                              UE4 Documentation

Comment

Working...
                              X