Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Doc reorganization

Hey documentation lovers,

We wanted to call out a change that we’ve made to the Unreal Engine documentation with the 4.26 release. We’ve changed the categories at the top level of our navigation tree (that is, the table of contents you see on the left side of the page). And, as part of the change, we’ve redistributed all existing docs under those new categories.

Our goals with this change were to:
    • Improve your ability to find information. We believe that the new structure will keep related material closer together and help you predict where to find specific topics within the tree.
    • Give brand-new users a clearer breakdown of the foundational pillars of using Unreal, and to help them explore each of those topics.
    • Ensure that, when you arrive on any doc page — whether from a search result or external link — you have context for how the information on that page fits into the overall process of using Unreal.
    • Create a structure that we can grow into as we continue to add new content to the site, and one that helps us pinpoint the gaps we need to fill.
    You can see this new organization live on the site as of now! (If you don't see any changes to the left-hand navigation yet, you may need to refresh your page or clear your browser cache.)

This first step has redistributed our ~2500 pages of content into new categories. We’ve put redirects in place so that any older links and bookmarks you have should still work. If you experience problems, please let us know here on the forum so we can fix them!

Over the coming months, we’ll review each category to further refine the lower levels of the structure.

Hoping you’ll find this useful,

The Documentation Team

Seems like the whole Animation C++ API section is broken now.

Instead of showing API reference it trying to load the main doc page with UI broken.

E.g.:
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...nce/index.html

Steps to reproduce:
    1)Go to C++ Api Reference
    2)Click to All Classes and click on UAnimInstance, or just search for UAnimInstance

The same happens with everything in API / Runtime / Engine / Animation including the Animation section itself

Is there any way to access it now?
    Attached Files
    Last edited by d3e; 12-07-2020, 06:30 AM.

Comment

• echo_four commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey d3e! Thanks for reaching out to us, and thanks for the detailed info about this issue. Looks like that link must have gotten change in our 4.26 TOC reorganization. I've passed this issue along to the rest of the Docs team so we can take a look. Thanks again and please let us know if you spot anything else that looks off!

• Jeff Wilson commented
      Editing a comment
      This looks like an issue with redirects being too greedy. I am fixing it now.

This is still happening on lots of pages (example: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...ing/index.html), and when I look at the console I see a ton of 403's:

Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 ()
    common_en-US.js:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 ()
    udn.js:1 Uncaught ReferenceError: defaultHost is not defined
    index.html:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 ()
    undefined/en-US/navTree.html:1 Failed to load resource: net::ERR_NAME_NOT_RESOLVED
    /en-US/ProductionPipelines/AssetManagement/Include/Javascript/udn.js:1 Failed to load resource: the server responded with a status of 403 ()

(there's many more lines like this, but I won't spam you with the rest)

Comment

• echo_four commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey Rego Sen. Thanks for letting us know about this. I've added your comments to an open ticket we have to address broken/missing links and pages. We're working hard to resolve these issues and appreciate your patience in the meantime.

Hi, I'm having the same issue as Rego Sen when trying to access the UAudioComponent doc page (https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...ent/index.html). This happens on other audio doc pages too.

Comment

• echo_four commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey JACK_BLACKED. Thanks for reaching out to you and sorry to hear you're having troubles. I've added your comments to our open to ticket. I know we just rolled out a batch of fixes, with more planned in the days to come. Thanks for your patience as we work to resolve these issues.

UStaticMeshComponent cpp definition no where to be found

Comment

• echo_four commented
      Editing a comment
      Hey IkoLogs, thanks for letting us know about this. We've added this page to our list of pages that we need to take a look at. We appreciate your patience as we look into resolving these issues, and hope to have an update soon.

UAudioComponent document definition no where to be found

Comment

• echo_four commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello again IkoLogs. I've added this one to the list as well.

Hi again,

I found another broken section of documentation: Level Streaming. Searching for it (here) pulls up links to the doc pages, but clicking on them redirects to the home page like other broken links. One interesting thing about this one: it seems to break the link when you click on it. See the attached images: the link changes from ".../LevelStreaming/..." to ".../Levels/treaming/..."

Thanks!
    Attached Files

Comment

• echo_four commented
      Editing a comment
      Hello again JACK_BLACKED! Great catch. I've made a ticket so we can look into fixing that page. Thanks for passing this along and thanks for your patience as we work to fix it. Please let us know if you spot anymore pages like this.
Working...
X