X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• started a topic Feedback on the new docs site

Feedback on the new docs site

The sharp-eyed among you may have noticed a few changes in the look of our UE4 documentation site this week. Along with the visual style, we’ve also made improvements under the hood to streamline the site, improve its reliability, and make pages load faster for most users.

Click image for larger version  Name:	new_docs_site.jpg Views:	1 Size:	351.9 KB ID:	1625106

Some changes that you might notice:
    • Visually, we’ve aligned the look and feel across all our Epic docs sites, including the docs for the new Epic Online Services and the translated versions of the UE4 docs.
    • Speaking of translations, we now have URLs that match between English and translated versions of the docs. So it should be much easier for those of you who need to flip between different languages.
    • We’ve removed the option to sign in to the site with your Epic ID. This means that licensees with entitlements for closed platforms will need to access those docs through different means. For the moment, we’ve made the docs for these platforms available for download in the forums for Xbox One, Playstation 4, and Switch. We expect to host those platform-specific docs in the documentation mirror on UDN in the near future.
    This change also improves life for us at Epic — it’ll be easier for us to do our jobs getting docs into your hands regardless of your language of choice, and it’s a first step toward more site-wide improvements that we have in mind. You’ll hear more about these longer-term initiatives as they start to bear fruit.

In order to minimize the downtime involved in the site changeover, we launched our new look last weekend. We have a few tasks related to this migration that are still in progress, so you may find some functionality not behaving the way it ought to in the new system. We’re still working hard getting everything up to date. In the meantime, please bring any odd behavior — or really, anything else that’s on your mind — to our attention here in our feedback forum

We hope you’ll like the new site!

• replied
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...nts/index.html

And with all the new engine code using this we already have this information. What we dont have is any thing showing how to bind to these new events. Which you would expect to see on this page. But cant. Was not deemed important.

Seems like not ever binding makes them useless..

According to your documentation this should be fine:

1> W:/MyFile.cpp(76,43): error : no matching member function for call to 'AddUObject'
    1> moviePlayer->OnMoviePlaybackFinished().AddUObject(this, &ThisClass::OnMovieFinished);

But we see it is clearly not.
    Last edited by DanHollingsworth; 10-14-2019, 12:48 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    When I fully widen the left panel it looks okay but after I hover over the text then it gets cut off. Click image for larger version  Name:	Annotation-20191013-004936.png Views:	1 Size:	75.2 KB ID:	1673463
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...Ins/index.html
    Last edited by Zectbumo54; 10-13-2019, 03:56 AM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi, I need to know the necessary specifications for an architecture application where I can visualize on a virtual reality lens like the Oculus Rift S

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Hi, I started reading the documentation and going through all the examples to better understand the breadth of what Unreal can do.

This page: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...mal/index.html

Has this config in the text "Scalar Parameter Fiber Strength 0.98" but the value in the image is .5. The .5 value shows the fibers underneath, but the .98 value hides them. Or I messed up the blueprint! Anyways, it's a cool feature :-)
    Last edited by FunAndFriendly; 10-11-2019, 03:50 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...ing/index.html
    Mac [ENGINE INSTALL LOCATION]\Engine\Binaries\Mac\UnrealFrontend.app
    This does not exist.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    RE: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...Map/index.html

Rather than 10 pages of explaining how a container works, perhaps you guys could focus on the unreal specific parts? Like how to populate an INI file to load a tmap from the config.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    In the "Online Subsystem Steam" section of the Docs, under "Setting up the Steamworks SDK" for Mac, this file location doesn't exist:

In UE4 version 4.22 and earlier: /YourUnrealEnginePath/EngineOrGameFolder/Binaries/Mac/YourGame.app/Contents/MacOS

Leave a comment:

• replied
    There are many issues I am running into using the IOS documentation:
    1. You have to provision before you can do the Quick Start, this is not indicated anywhere.
    2. You have to PAY to perform any action in here since you need to be enrolled onto the developer program.
    3. Builds will fail, if you have any source code stuff, this includes "plugins"... This makes no sense, I have a plugin which makes blueprint nodes better but apparently this prevents building!? No where does the documentation state plugins should be disabled.
    There are also many mistakes, all the links to Apple Dev site do not work, the bundle name is invalid (you can't have just * as your app name), and many more issues I ran into.

Is there somewhere I can edit the documentation or report specific issues? There are many little hints and warnings that could pevent people from wasting their money, as well as going down the wrong path. It has taken me hours trying to setup a project and I had to Google several blocking issues.
    Last edited by Vekien; 10-06-2019, 02:17 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    "we recommend running a case-insensitive" That is the worst recommendation I have ever read. If your on a case sensitive platform use case sensitive perforce. If your running windows clients then use a case insensitive perforce. If you run windows clients and a case sensitive perforce server then you are going to **** man hours down the drain wondering why everything is so broken.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The tick group explanations are missing a few items!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The Slate Widget examples are not well explained, for example the list, yes it shows how to add a SListView with slate, however it does not show us or explain what this:
    .OnGenerateRow( this, &STableViewTesting::OnGenerateWidgetForList), is. what is OnGenerateWidgetForList? do I need to override that function? because the documentation lacks good example it means I have to look through the unreal engine and reverse engineer code from unreal to properly understand it. plus the Slate pages are missing things like SOverlay or SButton, having a complete documentation would make creating a custom interface alot easier.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    The "Unreal Engine 4 For Unity Developers" should be updated, specifically the "UE4 Blueprint Classes can be extended" part, since Unity now implement nested prefabs.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by 7redstarkiller View Post
    UE4 is not compatible with the latest version of Subversion, which is VisualSVN 4.0, and Subversion client 1.10.4. It took me many hours to figure this out since there is very little documentation online regarding Subversion. When attempting to use Subversion as source control for UE4, I got the error stating that the format version was expected to be between 1 and 7, but the version found was 8. I eventually found out that this was due to the update creating repositories with a new format, being 8, of course.
    Did you get a fix or is VisualSVN still not working ? Curious to know before I waste time trying

Leave a comment:

• replied
    https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...ide/index.html

This page has this "Access Token Developer Guide" link, the most important link, and it does not work

Leave a comment:

Working...
X