Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey there, I have been reading and using the docs for a few years now (and have provided some feedback and critique in the past) and i just recently noticed how some old content got updated. So I just decided to do an overall check on the state of the documentation, and I must say, its much, much better! I'm still learning some new and useful things, even on some topics that should be fairly basic and which I should already have down.
    And i see that a lot of content has been added, that I had to learn the hard way in the past .
    Also, all the new pages that have been added are pretty useful
    And a big thumb up for the links to (even external) resources, that have been already provided by the community or staff somewhere else

Three cheers for the great work just wanted to let you know you made at least one developer happy.

I know you deserve a lot more praise than you are given and since I regularly see people ungratefully complaining about something, I wanted to deliberately share some nice words with you

Comment

Hey guys, do you mind adjusting mobile compatibility with your tables?
      I reported this months ago.

Just filter the table stuff out with CSS3 and replace the hard sizes with fluid css grid. Or even better flex box.

This is an example of what I and anyone on mobile (can't) read.
      Click image for larger version  Name:	Screenshot_20190915153757_Samsung-Internet.jpg Views:	1 Size:	448.9 KB ID:	1664990
      Last edited by Jeff Wilson; 09-16-2019, 11:49 AM. Reason: Resized image

Comment

• Jeff Wilson commented
        Editing a comment
        I'm aware of this issue. It was working for a while and I must have broken it recently. I will look into it and see what caused the regression.

the new online ue4 document is perfect on desktop PC, but not friendly in phone browser, for example : iphone 8, I often read document on iphone because it easy to get, thanks problem is: 1: hard to choose another Book catalog, 2: hard to use Slide bar to up or down these two problems are easy to get, please fix it
      Last edited by MacroGu; 09-23-2019, 11:57 PM.

Comment

• Jeff Wilson commented
        Editing a comment
        What exactly is unfriendly? Other than the table issue noted above, I'm not aware of anything that is egregiously bad on mobile.

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.1568653185.png
Views:	11
Size:	52.6 KB
ID:	1665267

Sidebar crops the rendering of sub elements.
      Twitter | MinimalUI UE4 Editor Theme
      Dark Themes for: Forum | AnswerHub | Everything else

Comment

• Jeff Wilson commented
        Editing a comment
        That shouldn’t be happening. I’ll look into it. Thanks for the report!

Greetings!

Embarking on the Live Link journey here, starting with this page https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...ink/index.html
      There is a link to grab the Maya plugin binaries which takes you to here https://github.com/ue4plugins/MayaLiveLink
      Is this the new official place for plugins of certain kinds? What's the criteria vs. the main repo?
      It took me a while to find the binaries (doh) because they were in the Releases tab in Github. Maybe a link to the releases would be good in the docs.

Thank you
      -----------

Geo

Comment

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...cks/index.html

Click image for larger version

Name:	screenshot.1568995636.png
Views:	11
Size:	60.3 KB
ID:	1667177
        Twitter | MinimalUI UE4 Editor Theme
        Dark Themes for: Forum | AnswerHub | Everything else

Comment

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...art/index.html
          the intro doc is missing the cut-out tutorial to place windows and doors.

Comment

I'm trying to use the Setting Up a Character instructions. They're terrible. Clearly written by someone who is assuming that the reader already knows what he / she is doing. For example in the Creating a Player Controller section is the author telling me to create one or just go and have a look...? Poor

Comment

The docs/settings here don't add up

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Engine/Content/FBX/StaticMeshes/index.html

When exporting from
              Unreal to Maya as FBX, it imports fine, but when round tripping back to Unreal via FBX with the settings in the docs - the assets are always rotated 90*s.
              When adding in a -90 transform to the rotate, Unreal spits out error messages pertaining to normals.

Comment

https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/...ide/index.html

This page has this "Access Token Developer Guide" link, the most important link, and it does not work

Comment

Originally posted by 7redstarkiller View Post
                  UE4 is not compatible with the latest version of Subversion, which is VisualSVN 4.0, and Subversion client 1.10.4. It took me many hours to figure this out since there is very little documentation online regarding Subversion. When attempting to use Subversion as source control for UE4, I got the error stating that the format version was expected to be between 1 and 7, but the version found was 8. I eventually found out that this was due to the update creating repositories with a new format, being 8, of course.
                  Did you get a fix or is VisualSVN still not working ? Curious to know before I waste time trying
                  Solo but Seismic - feel free to apply
                  https://neighborlee1.wixsite.com/theheartseed

Comment

The "Unreal Engine 4 For Unity Developers" should be updated, specifically the "UE4 Blueprint Classes can be extended" part, since Unity now implement nested prefabs.

Comment

The Slate Widget examples are not well explained, for example the list, yes it shows how to add a SListView with slate, however it does not show us or explain what this:
                      .OnGenerateRow( this, &STableViewTesting::OnGenerateWidgetForList), is. what is OnGenerateWidgetForList? do I need to override that function? because the documentation lacks good example it means I have to look through the unreal engine and reverse engineer code from unreal to properly understand it. plus the Slate pages are missing things like SOverlay or SButton, having a complete documentation would make creating a custom interface alot easier.

Comment

The tick group explanations are missing a few items!

Comment

"we recommend running a case-insensitive" That is the worst recommendation I have ever read. If your on a case sensitive platform use case sensitive perforce. If your running windows clients then use a case insensitive perforce. If you run windows clients and a case sensitive perforce server then you are going to **** man hours down the drain wondering why everything is so broken.

Comment

Working...
                          X