Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Automatic LODs import and setup from a single FBX file (exported from Blender)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    [FEATURE REQUEST] Automatic LODs import and setup from a single FBX file (exported from Blender)

    While Maya has LOD groups https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest....html#lodsetup that, to my understanding, allow grouping for base mesh with its LODs in a single FBX file, which would automate import and setup of LODs per static mesh actor, Blender doesn't have such thing.

    However, to my understanding, LOD group in Maya is just a hierarchy, which can be replicated in Blender by parenting meshes to an Empty. Reading around the forum I see that people tried doing that, but when importing, UE4 doesn't care for such contraption and automatic import of LODs from single FBX file doesn't work.

    I have a terrain, split into 16 pieces, with each piece having 3 LOD iterations (base, 1 and 2). Importing it manually is a chore.

    Dear Epic, please tweak FBX importer in UE4 to import LODs from a single FBX file (exported from Blender) automatically (either via hierarchy or via naming convention, which is more reliable than grouping/hierarchy).

    Thanks beforehand

    #2
    I agree. Would be cool

    Comment


      #3
      Can we have a response from Epic on this? Just like you can import collisions with prefixes like UCX_, would it be possible to import lods with suffixes like _LOD0, LOD1, LOD2, etc? It would be a very handy feature for sure (regardless of 3d package) Thank you!

      Comment


        #4
        Originally posted by ant1fact View Post
        Can we have a response from Epic on this? Just like you can import collisions with prefixes like UCX_, would it be possible to import lods with suffixes like _LOD0, LOD1, LOD2, etc? It would be a very handy feature for sure (regardless of 3d package) Thank you!
        I second that. the current export pipeline on 3dsmax is so cumbersome that I just end up exporting as different fbx files per LOD
        Follow me on Twitter!
        Developer of Elium - Prison Escape

        Comment


          #5
          Mmm well this is more a Blender side problem, but since Epic supported Maya not sure why they don't help a bit with the scripts in Blender
          Hevedy - Instance Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/hevedyinstances
          Hevedy - Image Tools: https://hevedy.itch.io/imagetools

          Comment


            #6
            Originally posted by Hevedy View Post
            Mmm well this is more a Blender side problem, but since Epic supported Maya not sure why they don't help a bit with the scripts in Blender
            While it is a Blender problem, as you can see from Chosker's comment, a naming convention based solution would benefit not just Blender but other 3d packages like 3ds Max (and perhaps even Maya?)
            I'm curious to hear the opinion of someone C++ savvy because to a layperson like myself this seems like an easy feature to implement (albeit low priority of course)

            Thank you

            Comment


              #7
              Would be very useful!

              Comment


                #8
                Well, it's 2019 now, and hopefully FBX is on the way out and gltf is here to stay, but I would like an automatic LOD import as well.

                Comment


                  #9
                  Originally posted by eobet View Post
                  Well, it's 2019 now, and hopefully FBX is on the way out and gltf is here to stay, but I would like an automatic LOD import as well.
                  FBX not out and glTF seems to be on the backburner in UE4.

                  Comment


                    #10
                    Originally posted by motorsep View Post

                    FBX not out and glTF seems to be on the backburner in UE4.
                    It is very sad that Autodesk has such a strangle hold on the big players in the industry. Here’s even a 2017 official video from Epic where they invited a Blender guy who is rocking a glTF shirt:

                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hJ0GpTQaShs

                    EDIT: Apparently, you can import collisions automatically via FBX according to the video below, if you only name them UCX_MeshName_01 etc, but there's no similar thing for LODs?

                    https://youtu.be/YxVFChB3oxY?t=650
                    Last edited by eobet; 02-26-2019, 08:52 AM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X