[Feature Request] Render/Bake to simple material

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Feature Request] Render/Bake to simple material

We all had these materials with 200+ instructions , making 2 or 3 stupid textures look amazing in the final product. BUT 200+ commands is quite expensive to run in real time.
    So as there is an option to bake/render cube map there should be a option to Bake/Render to simple material

It will produce as many textures as there are material inputs. (if you have a normal map and a fancy roughness command it will bake them down to 2 maps)
    It can also combine multiple textures into 1 (AO ,roughness ....)

This will make it possible to get very good looking assets on weaker machines ( older PC , smartphones, tablets... smartwatches :P )

Of course not all materials won't work with it ( those that change in run-time or those that just rotate around) But a lot of cool materials will work with it.

So this is my Idea I will be really happy to see it realized

Thanks and have a great day!
    Yes!
    94.12%
    No!
    5.88%
    TA on :
    Assassins Creed Origins
    Assassins Creed Origins: Curse of the Pharaohs
    The Division 2

Mobile does that already---you either plug in texture maps you've already created, or you can create your material like normal and it will flatten it to a texture map and use it for mobile.

Comment

Ok but what about not mobile, it is a good feature to have for all platforms , Imagine you can bake half of your decoration(or not very important stuff) in a game so it takes less resources you can have more things... and it will still perform OK. Don't you agree?
      TA on :
      Assassins Creed Origins
      The Division 2

Comment

I had a similar idea recently. We have a nice material editor, it would be very nice to be able to bake out textures.

Comment

Indeed It will make it a very powerful tool
          TA on :
          Assassins Creed Origins
          The Division 2

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
            Mobile does that already---you either plug in texture maps you've already created, or you can create your material like normal and it will flatten it to a texture map and use it for mobile.
            That was how it worked in UE3, but UE4 uses your material directly on mobile; we don't have baking materials down to textures right now.

Cheers,
            Michael Noland

Comment

Is there any performance benefit by using a texture over a complex material? Or is there more of a benefit by using a single texture multiple times and just making changes in the material? I'm guessing it probably depends on what you're doing in the material

Comment

Hi Darthviper,

It's a memory-speed tradeoff (potentially with some loss of fidelity too, depending on the material). You can put together complicated materials with lots of layering and blending and tweak a few parameters on instances to create a whole class of materials with just a few maps, but they'll be expensive at runtime. With baking, you could create unique final textures for each material instance, using more memory but a much simpler shader.

Cheers,
                Michael Noland

Comment

Michael Noland I'm curious , not picking a fight.
                  How hard would it be for this feature to be implemented in the engine? 1 week of work for 1 programmer? What if it was released as a plugin will that shorten the development time.

Thanks!
                  TA on :
                  Assassins Creed Origins
                  The Division 2

Comment

Converting to flat textures would move bottleneck to RAM usage. Also game file size increases I guess.
                    I have over 20gb of textures in a library I built over the years so I most of the time don't use those complex material functions, but they are awesome to reduce game file download size. I' rather convert the other way around haha.
                    | Savior | USQLite | FSM | Object Pool | Sound Occlusion | Property Transfer | Magic Nodes | MORE |

Comment

The material editor isn't Substance designer but it's certainly close. It would be great to be able to use it to build textures not just materials and save all the usual outputs to file.

Is there any new on this ?

Comment

There is an option, involving a BP.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...oTextureTools/

Sadly, it seems to be bugged. No matter what you select as multiplier or game window size, the output is always a 446x446 file. So not really usable (at the moment)
                        It would be awesome if the tool would work as the docs suggest

Comment

Yeh saw that, didn't look too good.

Comment

Originally posted by KVogler View Post
                            There is an option, involving a BP.

https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...oTextureTools/

Sadly, it seems to be bugged. No matter what you select as multiplier or game window size, the output is always a 446x446 file. So not really usable (at the moment)
                            It would be awesome if the tool would work as the docs suggest
                            Are you sure your setup is correct?
                            Tooltip of "ViewportSize(See Tooltip)" says you have to use resolution in "Editor settings->play->resolution for new windows" instead of this variables due to bug.
                            I've no problems with rendering 1k and other resolutions

Edit: I missed part of your comment about "Game window size", seems like you changed this already, but probably missed something else?
                            SuperGrid: Marketplace Page | Feedback Thread | Demo | Website
                            Level design and prototyping for newbies

Comment

Edit: I missed part of your comment about "Game window size", seems like you changed this already, but probably missed something else?
                              I double and tripple checked everything.
                              I cant find anything "wrong" with my settings.
                              Also 446x446 seems like an odd resolution....

Comment

Working...
                              X