Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Svogi

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #31
    Originally posted by nick_p View Post
    @ryanjon2040, I can't promise anything but I'd like to!
    That gives me hope!!
    Support my RTS Game (Agora) on Patreon!
    Unreal Nexus - Create Share and Experience!
    Unreal Engine 4 World-Wide User Map

    [PLUGIN] Aws Gamelift Client Plugin
    [TOOL] Create your own binary release of UE4 from GitHub source
    My UE4 Tutorials and Misc Tools

    Lead Programmer at YetiTech Studios
    Your Friendly Neighborhood
    Satheesh PV (a.k.a RyanJon2040) | Twitter, Instagram, Facebook, LinkedIn, YouTube, Google+

    Comment


      #32
      Originally posted by SonKim View Post
      I'm sure they are looking into a SVOGI replacement and it will be fully dynamic solution base on what Epic programmer mention online. nVidia GI works might be a good replacement? but I don't know how tax it is on a system: https://developer.nvidia.com/gi-works. It might not be practical because UE4 was meant to be devoid of any third party solution,because UE4 source code is public.

      Also check out "Object-order ray tracing for fully dynamic scenes" http://cg.ibds.kit.edu/ORTFDS.php
      You don't need include third party code, just compiled libraries, headers and integration. NVIDIa shouldn't have any problem with such integration as they are doing it for years as of now.

      The question is how efficient is GI Works. As it also volume based solution.

      Originally posted by Daedalus51 View Post
      PS: But I would love to see for example how the Snowdrop Engine handles GI or that other new Engine from Ubisoft which they used for the AC: Unity demo (BTW...I think that Snowdrop is using something similar to Enlighten since they store the GI data for movables in spherical harmonics as well)
      Precomputed Radiance Transfer.
      PRT is actually nice thing. It's quite useless for closed and small spaces, as you are limited by probe density over map. But for open level it is good technique. You don't need super accuracy, you just need lighting variance. And that is what PRT provide at very low cost. More over it works with time of day.
      Last edited by iniside; 03-28-2014, 03:59 AM.
      https://github.com/iniside/ActionRPGGame - Action RPG Starter kit. Work in Progress. You can use it in whatever way you wish.

      Comment


        #33
        Originally posted by ryanjon2040
        Its really sad to hear that Nick. Honestly I wished to try SVOGI because i really really loved when Alan Willard demonstrated it. Till now i have always watched that walkthrough video over and over again just to see the beauty of it. I was totally amazed when i saw the light environment changing from day to night. It was just......spectacular.
        Yep, I also love it.

        Originally posted by ryanjon2040
        Just wondering...instead of integrating it into the main branch of UE4, can Epic share the code for SVOGI (and maybe a note on how to actually integrate it) so that other members here can integrate it for themselves and upload it to Github? This way Epic dont have to worry about maintenance burden or anything else. Just a suggestion.
        +1
        That was my suggestion as well: https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...-on-svogi.html

        Originally posted by nick_p
        @ryanjon2040, I can't promise anything but I'd like to!


        Originally posted by nick_p
        @KingBadger3D, Sorry, I'm not trying to avoid anything, I just can't promise features we're not actively working on. What I said is accurate: we are working to improve LPV and we have other ideas we'd like to explore (but aren't because we are busy working on other features). We'll be releasing updated versions of the engine on a regular basis so you will be able to see our progress and what we're working on pretty much as we do it, including WIP features that aren't quite ready like LPV.
        Providing a stable LPV implementation and something like SSDO seems to be a good solution for now.

        Comment


          #34
          Originally posted by KlausT View Post
          Providing a stable LPV implementation and something like SSDO seems to be a good solution for now.
          Agreed. Some kind of dynamic GI that isn't dependent on baking light is needed. Getting mobile tech caught up is nice and all, though I'd rather see innovation being driven forward with a focus strictly on Next Gen. Same thoughts regarding infinite sized seamless (multiplayer)worlds.

          Is this thread still active or is there someplace better for discussion?

          Seems like Octree might not be the best approach for SV Cone Tracing. I'm mainly an artist but always searching around to see what others are attempting, looking for papers etc. Just a few links that might be worth reading: http://gamenmotion.blogspot.com/2013...-resident.html
          http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/so...ing.453362563/
          http://realtimevoxels.blogspot.com.a...ed-voxels.html

          Also, aside from Voxel Cone Tracing thought this looked interesting on the subject of Tiled Resources/Partially Resident Textures. http://graphinesoftware.com/

          http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=64333

          Grasping at straws I know.
          Last edited by Xodroc; 05-02-2014, 09:05 PM.

          Comment


            #35
            Originally posted by Xodroc View Post
            Agreed. Some kind of dynamic GI that isn't dependent on baking light is needed. Getting mobile tech caught up is nice and all
            Yes id hate to see the focus on last gen console and mobile technology even though i understand the hype and all mobile gaming is a big fraud i have not seen a single big game that wasn't pay to win.

            Originally posted by Xodroc View Post
            though I'd rather see innovation being driven forward with a focus strictly on Next Gen. Same thoughts regarding infinite sized seamless (multiplayer)worlds.
            Yea that sounds amazing, more procedural worlds like minecraft but with more advanced graphics.

            Originally posted by Xodroc View Post
            Seems like Octree might not be the best approach for SV Cone Tracing. I'm mainly an artist but always searching around to see what others are attempting, looking for papers etc. Just a few links that might be worth reading: http://gamenmotion.blogspot.com/2013...-resident.html
            http://www.ign.com/boards/threads/so...ing.453362563/
            http://realtimevoxels.blogspot.com.a...ed-voxels.html

            Also, aside from Voxel Cone Tracing thought this looked interesting on the subject of Tiled Resources/Partially Resident Textures. http://graphinesoftware.com/

            http://forum.beyond3d.com/showthread.php?t=64333

            Grasping at straws I know.
            Iv seen many great realtime global illumination techniques, so i hope just we can get something fully dynamic in unreal engine besides vxgi that only works an nvidia cards.

            Comment


              #36
              That was one hell of a Necro...

              Comment


                #37
                I can run vxgi on my AMD card.
                Assets: Military Ammunition (Released)
                Plugins: BlueManBPFunctionLibrary C++ plugin (Free), Blue Man Vehicle AI Plugin (Released), Air Resistance C++ Plugin (WIP), Blue Man Vehicle Physics Plugin (Marketplace)
                Projects: Giants Of Destruction

                Comment


                  #38
                  Some users mentioned that cryengine is using a LPV system but thats actually wrong... They changed to SVOGI or SVOTI, not sure what the real name of the new system is.
                  I wrote it alreday a few times but i also don't understand why epic's effort is so "low" to integrate a nice dynmaic GI solution.

                  Cryengines SVOGI or SVOTI... seems to run very well even with "2 bounces" The results are really impressive...

                  Cryengine Interior Scene SVOGI "2 bounces"
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb4N8m5jAfE

                  Second Scene
                  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnvmB9iztaM
                  Last edited by A-J-K; 08-26-2015, 10:36 AM.

                  Comment


                    #39
                    Originally posted by Adik View Post
                    Some users mentioned that cryengine is using a LPV system but thats actually wrong... They changed to SVOGI or SVOTI, not sure what the real name of the new system is.
                    I wrote it alreday a few times but i also don't understand why epic's effort is so "low" to integrate a nice dynmaic GI solution.

                    Cryengines SVOGI or SVOTI... seems to run very well even with "2 bounces" The results are really impressive...

                    Cryengine Interior Scene SVOGI "2 bounces"
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hb4N8m5jAfE

                    Second Scene
                    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bnvmB9iztaM
                    Third scene: Outdoor

                    Comment


                      #40
                      Unless they changed something, the dynamic GI in Cryengine only works with sunlight

                      Comment


                        #41
                        I'm not sure what SVOGI supports right now but however it is the best Dynamic GI solution by far on the market. Look at the clips, there is not much to say, i wish epic would invest some time to create a similar GI system for UE4.

                        And for the performance... 2-3 ms on a Geforce 780 and 4-5 ms on a xbox one...

                        Comment


                          #42
                          Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
                          Unless they changed something, the dynamic GI in Cryengine only works with sunlight
                          Still better than no GI to be honest. Lightmass works for a lot of things, but not for everything like (most) dynamic use-cases or big areas.

                          As far as I heard Epic is currently focusing on performance, which is good and should be important, but I still wish for more "eye-candy". Dynamic realtime GI and volumetric effects are two things I really hope to see in the near future, luckily we have RyanTorant and Nvidia offering GI solutions already (and Nvidia more beyond that).

                          I know it's hard to really go to the limits with an engine as versatile as UE4, but I believe Epic can do it.

                          Comment


                            #43
                            Nvidia GI solution is also really fantastic but very performance hungry from what i read.
                            Would be interesteing to know if or when nvidias VXGI is reday to use for the averag mass or let's better say when it can be used in a real project and also on consoles...

                            Comment


                              #44
                              Originally posted by Adik View Post
                              Nvidia GI solution is also really fantastic but very performance hungry from what i read.
                              Would be interesteing to know if or when nvidias VXGI is reday to use for the averag mass or let's better say when it can be used in a real project and also on consoles...
                              Guys, you have to understand the complexity of a realtime GI solution, it's nothing that you can build in one day! Light behaves extremely complex in real life and replicating its behaviour even approximately is hard as rock. You have to take a lot of factors into account like the color, the roughness or reflectance of a surface, the strength and radius of the lightsource and even the shape of the lightsource. And those few points just scratch the surface of the topic, you also need to calculate this stuff PER FRAME! VXGI is by far the closest system that i've seen 'til now and of course it will be taxing on almost any system because of the stuff that happens behind the scene.
                              We may see certain solutions in the future who are better than what's available now but don't expect anytime soon a solution that has no flaws or drawbacks and runs like butter.
                              The Unreal Wiki & Unreal Docs are full of helpful Information about almost every topic!
                              Found a Bug? Have a Question or a Feature request? The AnswerHub is your best friend!
                              Want to share/discuss your progress or a tutorial? The Forums are all yours!

                              Comment


                                #45
                                Originally posted by Chris.R View Post
                                Guys, you have to understand the complexity of a realtime GI solution, it's nothing that you can build in one day! Light behaves extremely complex in real life and replicating its behaviour even approximately is hard as rock. You have to take a lot of factors into account like the color, the roughness or reflectance of a surface, the strength and radius of the lightsource and even the shape of the lightsource. And those few points just scratch the surface of the topic, you also need to calculate this stuff PER FRAME! VXGI is by far the closest system that i've seen 'til now and of course it will be taxing on almost any system because of the stuff that happens behind the scene.
                                We may see certain solutions in the future who are better than what's available now but don't expect anytime soon a solution that has no flaws or drawbacks and runs like butter.
                                CryEngine's runs pretty smooth though.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X