Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ethics and Epics collaboration with the military sector.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ethics and Epics collaboration with the military sector.

So, I stumbled upon tweets and a blog post yesterday where Epic and SoarTech were celebrating their new partnership.

My initial reaction was disbelief, then disappointment and disgust. I just don't understand how a company (or person) can be proud of helping this kind of industry to perfect its "skills".

Sure, Epic is a company after all. They need to make money. But somehow i thought, Epic would have certain standards - or ethics - and therefore wouldn't go this far. Apparently I was too naive.

For the people behind Epic I really hope, that they, personally, are fully aware, what their engine will be used for by the military because they now play an active role in this "game".

Every user may draw her/his own conclusions, of course.

Cheers.

You're free to disagree, but I don't see anything wrong with them licensing their engine for projects for their own government and military.

Comment

Many companies have relations with the military sector, without us realising it. In The Netherlands many banks and investment companies have money invested in scary industries. Many economies are entangled with it.

Hell, we might even say: without the military/defense industry our economie would crumble...
      Lets Measure It
      Blueprints to measure distances, area's, circumferences and routes/paths. Check out the marketplace: https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...ets-measure-it

Comment

Absolutely, it's frightening.
        So in my eyes, it's even more important to take up position.

Comment

Having done government training using the Unreal Engine, I think anything to make Government licensing easier is awesome. Government licensing is a nightmare. Better training means more lives saved, not killed.

Comment

I do not see any difference to people sitting in front of the screen playing FPS and killing people as part of a game.

Comment

Don't see the problem tbh, I know someone who went to a company who made military simulations after Pandemic Studios was closed by EA (Awesome studio - RIP). It only opens doors for people with our kind of skills in the long run, and ofc allows further engine improvements.

Someone would have taken up the role anyway. The only difference is that the trainees will be able to admire nice visuals instead

Comment

Originally posted by TooManyfps View Post
                I do not see any difference to people sitting in front of the screen playing FPS and killing people as part of a game.
                Not sure if I got your point here.
                Do you say, military staff using Unreal to train (essentially for combat) is the same as gamers playing FPS games?

Well, I think there actually is a big difference.
                Military forces will apply their training on battle field and necessarily might kill people for real. I doubt, that this applies to the vast majority of gamers playing ego shooters.

Comment

Technological and scientific advances. Improving more efficient killing methods. Life imitating art!!! Cool.
                  Life's just another usual game with little originality, with only one life and two distant brother in opposite sides, satisfying the most primitive desire: "More money for his masters."

-luny
                  lunybunny.com
                  lunybunny.com

Comment

better epic than companies from a military sector, which would use money for even more stuff in military sector.
                    also, your opinion doesn't matter, literally, it doesn't matter.

Comment

If you wanted to avoid companies that have any sort of collaboration with the military, your software setup will look quite...small. You couldnt even use Google in any form then (see i.e. Boston Dynamics).

Please note that i am not a general supporter of military actions in any way; But from a neutral point of view:
                      The good thing about military is that it often drives technology. GPS wouldnt exist without military as an example. Many inventions were originally made for the military and then used for public stuff.

Cheers,
                      Indy
                      FinalCamera on Marketplace / Web Demo
                      TopDown Toolkit on Marketplace / Web Demo

Comment

Originally posted by CriErr View Post
                        better epic than companies from a military sector, which would use money for even more stuff in military sector.
                        also, your opinion doesn't matter, literally, it doesn't matter.

Sounds a bit rhetorical and redundant. It is some kind of paradox, or mental game?

-luny
                        lunybunny.com
                        lunybunny.com

Comment

Originally posted by Allar View Post
                          ...Better training means more lives saved, not killed.
                          Your argument might sound logical, but is a myth in my opinion.
                          If your argument would be true, we shouldn't have any "collateral damages" by now, as the military has constantly "improved" its training (and weapons) over the last years, decades and centuries.

Comment

Originally posted by CriErr View Post
                            ...also, your opinion doesn't matter, literally, it doesn't matter.
                            Plain wrong - and a dangerous assumption.
                            Every single opinion matters! A lot of people/citizens just might have forgotten that.

Comment

Originally posted by vector3 View Post
                              So, I stumbled upon tweets and a blog post yesterday where Epic and SoarTech were celebrating their new partnership.

My initial reaction was disbelief, then disappointment and disgust. I just don't understand how a company (or person) can be proud of helping this kind of industry to perfect its "skills".

Sure, Epic is a company after all. They need to make money. But somehow i thought, Epic would have certain standards - or ethics - and therefore wouldn't go this far. Apparently I was too naive.

For the people behind Epic I really hope, that they, personally, are fully aware, what their engine will be used for by the military because they now play an active role in this "game".

Every user may draw her/his own conclusions, of course.

Cheers.
                              We get it, you are anti military. Please show your disgust in this partnership by switching to a different engine, because to continue to use it is to support things you do not like or believe in, that is called hypocrisy. BYE.
                              Acclivity Game Studios. Making a BP FPS, Tutorial Series on Blog : On Unreal Wiki : Twitch

Comment

Working...
                              X