PR #1552 : Toon Shading Model

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    So it's 2019 now and we still cannot add new shading models to the material editor via plugins or dropping them in a project folder? e.g. https://forums.unrealengine.com/comm...-shading-model and https://forums.unrealengine.com/deve...p-translucency. Why is it still the case that we have to edit engine files and recompile?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I hate to say it, but Unity wins hands down for NPR rendering. It's such a pain to have to update and build this shading model manually in order to get all the bug fixes/features that come with each engine update.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by jonimake View Post
    Wait, I thought this new system would allow people to write plugins that add more shading models to materials https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ightingModels/. It doesn't?
    Nope. The new system allows plugins and projects to have priority on loading shader files over default engines ones. That is it. To add new shading model, you still need to change at least 3 source files.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Wait, I thought this new system would allow people to write plugins that add more shading models to materials https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ightingModels/. It doesn't?

Leave a comment:

• replied
    If that's the case, severely disappointed in this feature.
    Last edited by JamesEmory; 08-08-2017, 02:45 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by JamesEmory View Post
    To what extent do you mean? Like is it enough to be able to implement like a shading model in the drop down menu (Default Lit, that area) or no? I'm considering turning another toon model I saw into a plugin if that's possible, but I know yours requires new pins in the editor, so not sure if that's the degree to which plugins won't go.
    As far as I could see there is no support for new shading models at all.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Arnage View Post
    Yeah, sorry to disappoint, but at least for now this still won't work. As far as I could tell from the source the 4.17 plugin support indeed allows you to include your own custom shaders. However, there seems to be no way to have these shaders interact with the material editor, which is obviously essential for the toon shading model.

Maybe I missed something, as I haven't actually found any documentation for the feature yet, but don't hold your breath just yet :/
    To what extent do you mean? Like is it enough to be able to implement like a shading model in the drop down menu (Default Lit, that area) or no? I'm considering turning another toon model I saw into a plugin if that's possible, but I know yours requires new pins in the editor, so not sure if that's the degree to which plugins won't go.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by JamesEmory View Post
    Pretty sure that Arnage said that this was a no go. :/
    Yeah, sorry to disappoint, but at least for now this still won't work. As far as I could tell from the source the 4.17 plugin support indeed allows you to include your own custom shaders. However, there seems to be no way to have these shaders interact with the material editor, which is obviously essential for the toon shading model.

Maybe I missed something, as I haven't actually found any documentation for the feature yet, but don't hold your breath just yet :/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Pretty sure that Arnage said that this was a no go. :/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Awesome *o*

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Exciting! I'm no expert on programming so having this as a plugin is fantastic <3

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by doC View Post
    Updated Trello says that following is ready for 4.17
    Support for Global Shaders in Plugins - Plugins can now create their own global shaders without modifying the engine.

Finally! This is awesome news!

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by doC View Post
    Support for Global Shaders in Plugins - Plugins can now create their own global shaders without modifying the engine.

This is the best news I've seen all year.

Leave a comment:

• replied

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yeah come on now guys! Been waiting for this to arrive for AGES, been relying on unlit light vector materials to do this for me and it's just such a a bad way to work around it. This really needs to happen!

Leave a comment:

Working...
X