Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another vote for the integration.

Comment

I want to also throw my card into the hat for merging to master.

Comment

+1 Vote for integration

Comment

agree this could bee a great feature

Comment

Necro'ing like a baws.
            tried this out ages ago and it is amazing, would be great to see it in the official engine so I don't have to mess around with source code.

Visit my portfolio: jhgrace.com

Comment

+1 Would love to have this integrated

Comment

Is there any news on this? sorry i have been bad at keeping up with all the unreal news..

Comment

I just went and looked into the status of the PR:

https://github.com/EpicGames/UnrealEngine/pull/1552

It looks like there are some unresolved conflicts, but I'm going to do some digging and see what the current plan is.
                  Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
                  How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
                  Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

Comment

I did some digging and found that the developer that was working on that PR hasn't been available. Currently my plan is to have it reassigned to someone with more time to take a look. Sorry about the hold up!

Comment

Really hoping that this gets implemented. Arnage's toon shader looks phenomenal.

Comment

Any new news on this Alex +

Comment

Originally posted by iamrob88 View Post
                          Any new news on this Alex +
                          As it is a large implementation and there are limited amounts of developers to evaluate the request, there hasn't been much traction since. They are also discussing how to keep the editor size down by having project specific feature pull requests be left as plugins that can be turned on and off as needed. This is an effort to reduce both engine and packaging sizes smaller.

I wouldn't expect this one to be implemented soon if it is not kept as a plugin. We're entering crunch for GDC and the devs will be focusing on that for the next month, but I can see how things are progressing after.
                          Last edited by Alexander Paschall; 02-03-2017, 11:51 AM.

Comment

I do not wish to be anoying, so please forgive me if i am, but i just have to ask:

Is there any news post GDC?

Also if you want to read it here would be my case for this shading model:
                            (if one of my statements is inaccurate please excuse me and feel free so correct me, i am more of a designer than a coder)

On plugins and size:
                            From what i understand Shading Models like this can not be implemented as a plugin, but i do not understand how size is a problem here as the size is listed as <1MB ("https://wiki.unrealengine.com/GitHub_Sharing_Hub").

On the value of this addition:
                            The addition of a functioning capable toon shading model would enable smaller creative developers with small or no designated art-department to share their visions.
                            While Cel-Shading is known from anime it is much more powerful in creative indie-games.

Take for example this teaser by Mr Janks from the original toon shading thread:

(https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...ed.#post666799)

I also think that a performant artstyle like this is currently the way to go for VR and a shading model supporting this artstyle would help more awesome experiences for Unreal be created.

Further i think the community has shown its real interrest and dedication to this project. This shading model has been supported and longed for by the community for almost 2 years now.

In closing:
                            This Shading Model would not only be something 'nice to have', but i think it is something Unreal Engine is currently lacking.
                            I do think that the file-size pales in comparison to the new variety of artstyles and expresions possible with, and the ease of use of this shading model.

PS: I love Unreal, it is great, please don't hate me, i just wanted to give a passionate statement for this addition

Comment

This needs to happen!

The work is basically done already, and the art possibilities this opens are WAY worth implementing. This is indeed a feature that is currently lacking, having to fiddle around to get a simple stylized look is very frustrating.

Hope this gets attention!

Cheers

Comment

+1 Just chiming in as another dev who would *love* to see this integrated with the epic branch of the engine.

Comment

Working...
                                X