No announcement yet.

Additional Source Control providers support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A vote for native support of Mercurial! FYI, it supports big binary files via the standard "largefiles" extension (http://mercurial.selenic.com/wiki/LargefilesExtension).

Comment

Support for Bit Bucket would be nice.

Comment

Would it be possible to use git for source control and share the larger assets an other way, like a shared Dropbox folder? I'm not sure how that would work out, just an idea.
        Join us on IRC! We are on #unrealengine @ freenode.org

Comment

Originally posted by Paul Oliver View Post
          Hi Guys,

Internally we use Perforce for our source control, so the tools work with that and we test those workflows every day.

As far as other version control options, some of these would be good community projects, and it would be nice if we (Epic) could provide the most popular ones, however i'm not sure if we even know what is most popular among our users. Do you have insight?
          What would be nice is if Epic could do a video overview of how they go about using Perforce on a daily bases and how to go about setting up a Internet based server.
          Clarke's third law: Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
          Custom Map Maker Discord
          https://discord.gg/t48GHkA
          Urban Terror https://www.urbanterror.info/home/

Comment

Disclaimer: I wrote the plugins that currently power the source control integration for Unreal Engine 4.

I have a rough draft of a blog post that tries to go into some detail about how one might implement different source control providers in the Editor - does this sound like something that might be useful to you guys?
            Tom Sarkanen | Unreal Engine Developer | Epic Games UK

Comment

Originally posted by Tom Sarkanen View Post
              Disclaimer: I wrote the plugins that currently power the source control integration for Unreal Engine 4.

I have a rough draft of a blog post that tries to go into some detail about how one might implement different source control providers in the Editor - does this sound like something that might be useful to you guys?
              That would be incredibly helpful Tom.

Comment

I love git as well, however for now I just need basic versioning. Visual Studio Online Basic is free for up to 5 devs, comes with VS 2013. Uses TSVC or git. I just checked in my project without much hassle at all. Create your project on <your team name>.visualstudio.com, map source control to your folder, drag and drop, check in, done.

Not an MS fan usually, but this does the job at the right price
                It is by will alone I set my code in motion.
                It is by coding that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.

Comment

Originally posted by dmacesic View Post
                  I love git as well, however for now I just need basic versioning. Visual Studio Online Basic is free for up to 5 devs, comes with VS 2013. Uses TSVC or git. I just checked in my project without much hassle at all. Create your project on <your team name>.visualstudio.com, map source control to your folder, drag and drop, check in, done.

Not an MS fan usually, but this does the job at the right price
                  I would check out Bitbucket. It has free private repos for teams of five or less and a private issue tracker and wiki.

Comment

Hi,
                    Some hard numbers on the current trends on SVN vs Git vs Mercurial:

- The "Eclipse Community Survey Report June 2013" is a reliable source:
                    Short version "Git is now as widespread (30+7%) as SVN (37.8%) in the industry"

- The first point of the accompanying analysis read like this :
                    "1. Git continues to take-over. The adoption of Git as a developers primary source code management system continues to move forward and at the expense of Subversion. Interestingly, Subversion continues to be the #1 SCM but just barely. If you combine Git and GitHub usage, Subversion leads by only 1.5% points. Next year I am sure Git and GitHub will be #1."

- Another point of importance : in this survey, Mercurial is loosing ground, far far behind both Git and SVN with 3.6% !

- In the ground of opensource projects, here is the numbers from Ohloh : SVN 48%, Git 37%, CVS 9%, Mercurial 2%

Those number tells about really interesting trends, I think.

Cheers,
                    SRombauts
                    [Gamedev programmer at Darewise (Paris) - We are hiring]
                    UE4 Git LFS 2.x Source Control Plugin 2.14-beta for UE4.23 - (v1 integrated by default since UE4.7)
                    UE4 Plastic SCM Source Control Plugin 1.4.6 for UE4.23 - (integrated by default in Beta status since UE4.24)

Comment

Git is not suitable when you're working with large binaries. Git is only code-oriented, f.e. Github even doesn't support files larger than 100Mb, what sounds like a joke when you're keeping your assets. So, we can basically choose between SVN and Perforce.

P.S. - regarding "statictics" about Git - they count repositories number, which is not fair speaking about github
                      Making games with Unreal Engine https://alyamkin.com

Comment

Originally posted by ufna View Post
                        P.S. - regarding "statictics" about Git - they count repositories number, which is not fair speaking about github
                        Hi ufna, you should not express 'opinions' like that without reading the provided materials.

I mentioned the Eclipse Survey because it is quite serious; it is about counting *developers using git* as their main tool, not counting repositories! And it is about business usage, not open source/hobbyists.

And while Ohloh is counting only open source repositories, it is not counting forks (like those you get on GitHub or Gitorious).

So while provided numbers are by nature 'relative', depending on context, varies between size and nature of business, I still think those numbers are quite talkative, and trends they show should not be laughed about to quickly. I just thought the would be useful to readers...

Best Regards,
                        SRombauts
                        Last edited by SRombauts; 04-03-2014, 01:02 AM. Reason: Typos
                        [Gamedev programmer at Darewise (Paris) - We are hiring]
                        UE4 Git LFS 2.x Source Control Plugin 2.14-beta for UE4.23 - (v1 integrated by default since UE4.7)
                        UE4 Plastic SCM Source Control Plugin 1.4.6 for UE4.23 - (integrated by default in Beta status since UE4.24)

Comment

So this became a source control war all of a sudden?

Going back on topic, does source control integration need to be integrated with the Editor, or can it just be with Visual Studio, or can you just use whatever client on your machine? I personally use git, SVN, CVS, and TSVC depending on the project and team, from command line, in cygwin, on linux, on OSX, on VS, and I don't have much of an issue.

Other than convenience, what is the advantage of source control integration in the Editor? Does it make you that more productive than the alternatives?
                          It is by coding that thoughts acquire speed, the hands acquire shaking, the shaking becomes a warning.

Comment

Other than convenience, what is the advantage of source control integration in the Editor? Does it make you that more productive than the alternatives?
                            There is a blueprint diff tool. This wouldn't work on the command line or from external tools.

Join us on IRC! We are on #unrealengine @ freenode.org

Comment

Going back on topic, does source control integration need to be integrated with the Editor, or can it just be with Visual Studio, or can you just use whatever client on your machine? I personally use git, SVN, CVS, and TSVC depending on the project and team, from command line, in cygwin, on linux, on OSX, on VS, and I don't have much of an issue.

Editor integration isn't about convenience but rather necessity, the aim is to provide change tracking for assets, not code. Blueprints are stored as binary assets, you can't tell what changes were made by diffing a binary file using whatever diff/merge tool you usually use. There is however a built-in visual Blueprint diff tool in the Editor, but to use that tool the Editor has to be able to read the change history from the repository you have your assets stored in.
                              Contact: enlight in #unrealengine IRC channel on Freenode, or @macagonator on Twitter

Comment

So this became a source control war all of a sudden?
                                Absolutely! The internet survey shows that 100% of users use internet.

P.S. - Editor integration is nice feature when you see that asset locked/unlocked with another user. It is faster and more comfortable than have external tool.
                                Making games with Unreal Engine https://alyamkin.com

Comment

Working...
                                X