Mobile Multiplayer

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[FEATURE REQUEST] Mobile Multiplayer

Can I please request you add multiplayer for iOS and Android. It used to work in UDK if that helps It seems that this is a pretty big limitation with the mobile platform right now. Even if you could implement local multiplayer using beaconing over wifi that would be a game changer literally

Many thanks,

rOb

Hi Insanerob,

This can already be setup at the moment using Blueprints or C++ for mobile. The setup should not be much different than a normal multiplayer game. The biggest hurdle is getting the order of operations right for the setup of a multiplayer networked game.

If you've not had a chance to look at the Networking & Multiplayer documentation this should be a good starting point for you: https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...ay/Networking/

Coming with 4.10 you will have the ability to use multiple controllers with your device for multiplayer from a single device.

There are plans to add a sample in the future to demonstrate this setup using Blueprints and multiplayer setup, but unfortunately I don't have a time frame for when this will be completed.
    Tim Hobson | Learning Resources | Epic Games
    UE4 Documentation

Comment

Coming with 4.10 you will have the ability to use multiple controllers with your device for multiplayer from a single device.
      can someone? i dont understand.

Comment

Hi Tim, Thanks for the response, and even bigger thanks for everything that you guys do for us with UE4
        Can you please clarify which parts are available in Bueprints and which parts are only available in C++ ? As far as I can tell only Steam has matchmaking and session functions exposed in Blueprints ? I wasn't even sure that iOS Game Center multiplayer was implemented in C++ as an online subsystem ?

Thanks again,
        rOb

Comment

Originally posted by CriErr View Post
          I think Tim is referring to local turn based multiplayer i.e. take a turn , pass your phone to the next player etc. etc . I think

Comment

Can someone from Epic please clarify what Tim said ... I'm getting mixed answers all over the place. One post on the iOS forum stated that there was no netcode in the source for iOS multiplayer, there are definitely no multiplayer Blueprints for iOS, Steam online subsystem is documented but not Google or Apple. Please can you clarify if Google and Apple online substems will work for multiplayer in c++ ? If it's not in place can you add it as a feature request ?
            Many thanks, rOb

Comment

We've done Multiplayer on Mobile. It's no different to doing Multiplayer in a PC or Console game. All the syntax and methods are identical.

Google and Apple have Online Subsystems, if you're using Blueprints you don't need to do anything special to include them, though you'll still need to fill out all the required information in the Project Settings. C++ means you'll have to include them in the Build.CS and Build Target files, but that's it. Everything is identical.

Comment

can i create bluetooth multilayer game on BP for android(without using wifi routers, google online services and etc) just bluetooth connection? any info about this

Comment

Originally posted by CriErr View Post
                  You can have a project running on a mobile device that supports multiple controllers via bluetooth connection. This way you can more than 4 people playing on the same device.

Comment

Please oh please can someone clarify what is current possible in terms of multiplayer on mobile using the online subsystem. This is why I started this as a feature request but have since been told it already is working but with no actual specifics so now I'm just confused :s

1, Multiple devices, multiplayer through Game Center or Google across the Internet : Blueprint , C++ using iOS online subsystem, or not possible ?
                    2, Multiple devices, multiplayer through Wifi : Blueprint , C++ using iOS online subsystem, or not possible ?
                    3, Multiple devices, multiplayer through Bluetooth: Blueprint , C++ using iOS online subsystem, or not possible ?

Many thanks, rOb

Comment

Hi all,

This is something I could really do with the answer to, I think maybe some of the other posts in here have moved away from what rOb has originally asked.

Ignore the multiple controllers on one device, which we know this is coming in 4.10.

Are the below possible, and if so can someone point me in the right direction for documentation. This would be a huge help.

1, Multiplayer through Game Center or Google across the Internet : Blueprint , C++ using iOS online subsystem, or not possible ?
                      2, Multiplayer through Wifi : Blueprint , C++ using iOS online subsystem, or not possible ?
                      3, Multiplayer through Bluetooth: Blueprint , C++ using iOS online subsystem, or not possible ?

I'm sure there will be other games that rely on the above multiplayer aspects, this is a show stopper for our game. Really hope we can get some answers to this thread don't want out game to be finished before we've had the chance to get it out there.

Thanks in advance guys!! keep up the hard work.

Comment

There are people on the Android forum asking exactly the same thing and getting no answers either. Please can Epic clarify the current state of mobile multiplayer as per the three points in the previous posts. Tim's post suggested that it works but no one seems to know how to go about it at all :S

Thanks again, rOb

Comment

What we've done before is used local LAN-based WiFi between Android tablets and PC (but Android-Android also works fine) - with a WiFi router.

If you get two phones / devices to connect to each other first via an adhoc wifi connection, then one of them hosts a game session, the other *should* be able to join it, but I've never tested that with Bluetooth. All of my netcode has also been done in C++, because (IMO) it's easier and you get finer control over replication, something we needed at the time.

The first thing I would do would be to look at the Engine source Google Sub-system, and the OnlineSubSystem libraries to see what they support. As far as I know, there is no support for actually creating the Bluetooth / WiFI connection in-game. according to this post however, you can include other existing third-party libraries in a C++ project to use Bluetooth

https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...oothapish.html

Comment

Hi. Can someone suggest if we can do a bluetooth based mobile multiplayer?? Is there a way that can be done??

Comment

+1 for more info, in particular google play services.
                              apparently matchmaking, the very essential core, just doesnt work according to this old thread
                              searching turns up nothing about a fix or anything
                              tegleg.co.uk - indie electronic music label
                              Android + HTML5 WIP Physics Game
                              PC Games - Android Apps

Comment

Working...
                              X