Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Can't interact with 3d UMG widgets

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

    #16
    Originally posted by snarfk View Post
    Sorry for bumping an ancient thread; Google just landed me here while trying to get a basic UMG widget to work in 3d (with the eventual goal of gaze/motion controller line traces controlling the widget). Did anything ever come of this? Did you end up posting this code and/or including this in 4.12 already? Thanks!
    Nick ended up creating the solution rather recently. You can check out the latest update he posted here: https://twitter.com/NickDarnell/stat...98173730914304
    Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
    How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
    Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

    Comment


      #17
      Originally posted by Alexander Paschall View Post
      Nick ended up creating the solution rather recently. You can check out the latest update he posted here: https://twitter.com/NickDarnell/stat...98173730914304
      Is there a time-frame as to when we'll be able to see how he did it? Seeing it's possible is nice, but knowing HOW he did it will prove very useful for the community!

      Comment


        #18
        Originally posted by Kjasi View Post
        Is there a time-frame as to when we'll be able to see how he did it? Seeing it's possible is nice, but knowing HOW he did it will prove very useful for the community!
        In the livestream on Thursday, Nick said that it will be in 4.13 (as an experimental feature) and features should include documentation when they are no longer "experimental" or possibly sooner. Basically, it's a new interaction component that you can add to your player's character.
        Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
        How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
        Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

        Comment


          #19
          so let me summarize this.

          ability to interact with Widget in the 3D World is still not doable as of 4.12 is that correct?
          Developer at AmmoboxStudios.



          Eximius ( An FPS/RTS Hybrid )

          Comment


            #20
            Originally posted by Frozenfire View Post
            so let me summarize this.

            ability to interact with Widget in the 3D World is still not doable as of 4.12 is that correct?
            Not by default no, but the solution will be in 4.13.
            Twitch /unrealalexander| Twitter @UnrealAlexander
            How to report a bug? | Installation & Setup issues?
            Call me to a thread by posting this: [MENTION]Alexander Paschall[/MENTION]

            Comment


              #21
              Originally posted by Burnz View Post
              Yeah, i cannot interact at all with it... Could you show me your setup ? In the UserWidget itself i only have a button displaying Hello when clicked... cannot be triggered at all.
              I'm not getting any debug message at all printed to the screen...

              EDIT: You were right. There was a HUD Element set to "Visibility" and was blocking the raycast. Works fine, sorry about the confusion and thanks letting me know that it works for you, helped me to find the issue.
              Yesh, and it's broken again....

              Comment


                #22
                Originally posted by Alexander Paschall View Post
                Not by default no, but the solution will be in 4.13.
                I have updated to 4.13 and it doesn't seem to work?

                (Also, bump)

                Comment


                  #23
                  Originally posted by Crembo View Post
                  I have updated to 4.13 and it doesn't seem to work?

                  (Also, bump)
                  I had the same problem. Probably it could be fixed by using new interactive component component.

                  https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...ng-in-413.html
                  Game frameworks on Unreal Marketplace:

                  Third Person Shooter Kit - February 2017 Community Pick! - https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...on-shooter-kit

                  Side Scroller Shooter Kit - https://www.unrealengine.com/marketp...er-shooter-kit

                  Support Discord channel: https://discord.gg/NdUHQnC

                  Comment


                    #24
                    Just wanted to post this here, this is the new method of interacting with 3D Widgets.
                    https://docs.unrealengine.com/latest...etInteraction/

                    While I can understand the benefits of this method, it has also caused more issues (for me at least, mostly because the system I had was working fine, and now it's not).
                    The big one being that you can no longer easily type into EditableTextBox's on a 3D widget, where-as, before, you could.

                    Most of my game is based around interaction with in game computers, navigating the back-end of the in-game operating systems with command lines (in game hacking) and now it's been made into a bit of a hassle.

                    I posted on answerhub in regards to the EditableTextBox problem if anybody wishes to contribute.
                    https://answers.unrealengine.com/que...3d-widget.html
                    Developer of the party game "Metal Heads".
                    www.metalheadsgame.com
                    Follow on Twitter @MetalHeadsGame
                    Follow on Facebook www.facebook.com/MetalHeadsGame.

                    Comment


                      #25
                      It's broken again in 4.13 indeed.

                      *sigh*
                      SuperGrid: Marketplace Page | Feedback Thread | Demo | Website
                      Level design and prototyping for newbies

                      Comment


                        #26
                        Is there a way to disable new 3D widget interaction thing ? (since it's an experimental feature anyway)

                        Comment


                          #27
                          Originally posted by motorsep View Post
                          Is there a way to disable new 3D widget interaction thing ? (since it's an experimental feature anyway)
                          To what end? It's a component, it doesn't do anything until you tell it to.

                          Comment


                            #28
                            Originally posted by zeOrb View Post
                            It's broken again in 4.13 indeed.

                            *sigh*
                            It is working as intended in 4.13 AFAIK. What is currently broken?

                            Comment


                              #29
                              Originally posted by Nick Darnell View Post
                              To what end? It's a component, it doesn't do anything until you tell it to.
                              Ah, I see. So, if it's a component, how can it break existing setup that was made without the new component ? (assuming developer keeps existing contraption and doesn't add Widget Interaction component to player's character)

                              Comment


                                #30
                                Originally posted by motorsep View Post
                                Ah, I see. So, if it's a component, how can it break existing setup that was made without the new component ? (assuming developer keeps existing contraption and doesn't add Widget Interaction component to player's character)
                                Because input into Widget Components is entirely different now; the component is an extension of those differences to allow input to widgets.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X