UE4 editor on tablets?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

UE4 editor on tablets?

This might be a crazy pipe dream, but what are the odds of ever getting the UE4 editor running on say an Android tablet? I can't help but think of how cool it could be to do blueprint creation on a touch screen, and then be able to simulate right there on the device.

I dont think the whole UE4 would run on a tablet, but what could be possible (given the limitations of current hardware) is having a tablet as a sort of input device for developing on a PC/MAC workstation. Then the tablets would only have to process and transmit editing information, but not compile shaders, etc....

Imagine you would have the PC to do the hard work and one or more (why not 5 ) tablets that are connected to the PC (wireless, or cable) and are used as editor windows.
    I would de-clutter the main monitors and have one tablet always showing the content browser. Another would be the details panel and another would be the mesh editor, etc.
    (Of course it should be possible to habe editor windows on a tablet).

The more tablets you hook up, the more screenspace you have...

So, yeah, UE4-for-tablets is a pipe dream, but having the tablets as input devices might actually be possible
    Im almost tempted to call it a feature request

Comment

i like idea of tablet blueprint editor, with compiler and without ability to PIE.
      but ofс, thats not gonna happen.

Comment

+1 nice idea
        Last edited by Erindi; 10-18-2015, 09:44 AM.

Comment

Definitely not going happen on Android, but might work preeeeetty well on Surface Book
          SuperGrid: Marketplace Page | Feedback Thread | Demo | Website
          Level design and prototyping for newbies

Comment

Definitely not going happen on Android,
            Why not?
            The way I envision the feature is that the tablet only gives a UI frontend. All work is done on the main workstation.
            All the tablet would have to do is tell the engine (on the workstation) where the user has clicked/tabbed, etc.
            Candy crush is more resource intensive.....

Comment

So having a tablet as a UI for Blueprints .etc while you're working? It'd be pretty cool but I'm sure something as cosmetically-exclusive wouldn't really be worth the time and effort. If the community were to do it however...
              KITATUS
              "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Comment

pretty sure there are apps that will stream your pc screen to an android device and allow you to interact with it already
                tegleg.co.uk - indie electronic music label
                Android + HTML5 WIP Physics Game
                PC Games - Android Apps

Comment

So having a tablet as a UI for Blueprints .etc while you're working? It'd be pretty cool but I'm sure something as cosmetically-exclusive wouldn't really be worth the time and effort.
                  If only one tabet, yes, it would be a nice "gimmick", but now imagine having 5 tablets. Plus a workstation with two monitors.
                  One moitor shows the perpective viewport. The otherone the orthographic views and maybe the world settings.
                  Tablet 1 would be the content browser, tablet 2 the details panel, tablet 3 wuld be an opened material (instance) editor. Tablets 4 and 5 would show blueprint debugging

pretty sure there are apps that will stream your pc screen to an android device and allow you to interact with it already
                  Really? Never seen anything interactive.. only like "broadcast your screen", but no interactivity....
                  And theys would only mirror stuff that is on the monitors already and not expanding the desktop...

Comment

Why would you want to buy 5 tablets? Just buy more PC monitors. They are a lot bigger and a lot cheaper.
                    Easy to use UMG Mini Map on the UE4 Marketplace.
                    Forum thread: https://forums.unrealengine.com/show...-Plug-and-Play

Comment

Yeah, at this point it'd be better to use an actual monitor, even a touch monitor would work.

What would be cool though--would be if you could use a tablet in-game using motion controls to view what the camera sees on the tablet.

Comment

Originally posted by KVogler View Post
                        Really? Never seen anything interactive.. only like "broadcast your screen", but no interactivity....
                        And theys would only mirror stuff that is on the monitors already and not expanding the desktop...
                        just to test I answered using this
                        https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...vsoft.rrviewer

edit:
                        dont know if you can expand your desktop with it, maybe you can
                        Last edited by tegleg; 10-18-2015, 06:15 PM.
                        tegleg.co.uk - indie electronic music label
                        Android + HTML5 WIP Physics Game
                        PC Games - Android Apps

Comment

I use a Surface Pro 3 and splash top to do landscape painting. Works like a dream. You can also use splash top to use the tablet as a another screen rather than a duplicate screen, so that's pretty sweet too.
                          WIP: Science Project - A collection of middle school through advanced college level science theory and formula-based functions for use in your own projects
                          World Machine to UE4 Export Macro
                          WM Folder Generator - Creates a folder that you name with HeightMap, NormalMap, SplatMap, and Tile sub-folders

Comment

just to test I answered using this
                            https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...vsoft.rrviewer
                            with thisone you can onlyshow whats already on one of the screens...

Why would you want to buy 5 tablets? Just buy more PC monitors.
                            But tablets allow for more comfortable laid-back editing. Also there is a maximum of monitors you can hook up to your machine.

And just because it would add a little scifi flair to the workpace.
                            All that would be then missing is an LCARS skin for the editor UI

Comment

teamviewer works pretty well

Comment

Working...
                              X