Is Windows Phone support planned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• replied
    Microsoft has a UE4 branch that has Universal Windows Platform support, it might work to develop for Windows Phone that way

Leave a comment:

• replied
    its a catch 22 when it comes to windows market share. no one wants to do anything for windows because the market share is too low, and the market share is low because no one is making games for the platform. I would love to get games on a platform that even though it has a low number of users, they are hungry for some good games, and good games=$$$. I would bet my life that if the windows store had more options, more people would use it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by motorsep View Post
    Windows phone platform is pretty much dead (read that somewhere recently). So it's not a big deal if UE4 doesn't support it.
    It's "Windows Mobile", actually. Not phone. The "Windows Phone", a.k.a. 8.1, is indeed dead. And Window Mobile is dead when M$ abandoned it, but they din't just yet.

Window Mobile 10, ain't popular and that for good reasons.

Firstly, it's still quite new. While Android and iPhone were around since the dawn of smartphones.

Secondly, it lacks apps. M$ put the Android support on hold. They only do iPhone app support for now, and that ain't out yet either.

Thirdly, bugs, bugs everywhere! And as a side note, it isn't just mobile that is buggy. It's desktop, too.

Fourthly, adoption takes time. And the controversy around Window Mobile, ain't gonna help to expedite the adoption rate of Windows Mobile and win new customers. M$ couldn't deliver the free Window Mobile 10 upgrade for all smartphones. Some got dropped, even on newer more expensive models.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    This is the post I found btw from Tim on Reddit, indicating how they don't stop the end-user implementing UWP themselves (last sentence): https://www.reddit.com/r/unrealengin...wa_ue4/d183lk7

I think that explains it better than I could really. There's UWP sample stuff on GitHub too: https://github.com/Microsoft/Windows-universal-samples

As I say, if you have the chops you can still support UWP if you really want to.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Windows phone platform is pretty much dead (read that somewhere recently). So it's not a big deal if UE4 doesn't support it.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by TheJamsh View Post
    YOU may not care about that, but Valve certainly does, along with every other software company who is forced to suddenly do things the way Microsoft decides they should be done. UWP doesn't have anything to do with RAM 'protection' either, any programmer worth half his salt can still write a memory hacking app for any program and there's absolutely no way around it. UWP isn't going to solve cheating, and any form of encryption can be broken anyway.
    I get your point. And my point is nothing more but about to benefit the consumer, and that the selfish devs have to do it whether they like it or not!

Regarding the RAM protection. I didn't say that UWP has it, or is making already great use of it. That was nothing more than a item on my wishlist, or a killer feature for UWP. Also, anti-temper tech is maturing. Denuvo does already an excellent job. It just needs to be a bit more flexible so that games can do mods. Then, a Denuvo grade anti-temper tech may be use on a much broader scale, not just some AAA titles.

And regarding "selfish devs", and before you start an anti DRM pride parade here. Because people like to do that. First of all, it is your society that is full of thieves. So don't blame DRMs which is nothing more but a police. Notice a thing about the American flag in my signature? Now you know what "your society" means.

Secondly, and that's a huge fun fact regarding Denuvo. That all people who complain about it on Steam, they are actually upset pirates. And those who are not pirates, are just noobs from GOG, who still don't understand that a DRM free software, ain't free of a licence a.k.a. "they still don't own the game".

And here come the "selfish devs"...

So the "selfish developers", and in the case of DRM, it's actually the digital distribution platform called GOG itself. They make money of DRM free games, because there are whelps on this planet who still don't have a clue that Steam is able to run offline. And that DRM free never means that they own the software. But of course GOG knows this, and just keeps supporting piracy and the uneducated whelps who keep asking for DRM free software, so that they can give a copy they didn't buy, to their mom. And the best part of how selfish GOG is, that now indie devs are mostly forced to go with that DRM Free none sense, too. Whether they like it or not...

So fun fact number two. Everybody who openly advertises DRM Free, supports anarchy and the uneducated within the binary domain. -.-

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by Bladerskb View Post
    come on jamsh, i thought u were better than that
    Thanks for the valuable contribution. Makes me remember why I bother posting at all.

Originally posted by SouldomainTM View Post
    You didn't get my point.

First off all. I was talking about mobile, not desktop. Secondly, it is about being a better phone than Android in general. Do you know the difference between Phone 8.1 and Mobile 10? Well, it is a difference of day and night. The UIs, and the functions of the apps themselves are like three times better already.

I could ditch ~3 apps, because now Windows Mobile 10 can do more than Phone 8.1. Windows Mobile ain't like "Linux on desktop". Windows will quite soon start to kick Android's butt. After they fixed some bugs...
    I know you were talking about mobile but UWP spans all three platforms. If the engine supports UWP natively for phones, it will then almost certainly support it for Windows and Xbox - and currently Microsoft is going in an untrustworthy direction with those two as far as Epic is concerned (and the majority of independent developers). Microsoft doesn't currently have a vast market share on mobile and despite your opinion on the future or how good or bad the hardware may be, there's absolutely zero evidence to suggest that they'll take over that market share from Android and Apple.

Thing is mobile is vastly different to the other two platforms. You buy a Windows phone you expect to be limited to Windows apps, same with Android and Apple. But that's only okay because no one brand owns the entire market and therefore has complete control over it.

Slightly off topic here but the recent farce with Occlus demonstrates that these massive scale companies are just untrustworthy. Facebook and Occulus has completely shafted the small developer by FORCING the driver to lock-out unofficially supported apps. That is disgusting practice and should be fought against.

And regarding a closed desktop. You think that I would care if Valve had to pay money to be able to put their launcher on the Windows Store? No, I don't care. As a matter of fact. If M$ can do with UWP what I think they could do. And that is to protect apps from other app to access their RAM. Then even online cheaters could be wipe out! So, yeah, Volvo. I'm afraid to save the Master Race yet again, you will have to pay dollars...

Yeah, I know that M$ likes to do weird stuff at times. I heard of the forced Window 7 to Windows 10 updated behind the users back. I understand that a cleansing fire can be vital at times. Though, I can't help but to wonder if this move against Windows 7 wasn't a bit too early. M$ should have waited a bit. Especially since now the free upgrade should have expired. And Windows 10 is going to get more features. So, if people want that new stuff. They would have to BUY Windows 10.
    YOU may not care about that, but Valve certainly does, along with every other software company who is forced to suddenly do things the way Microsoft decides they should be done. UWP doesn't have anything to do with RAM 'protection' either, any programmer worth half his salt can still write a memory hacking app for any program and there's absolutely no way around it. UWP isn't going to solve cheating, and any form of encryption can be broken anyway.

I don't have a problem with Windows 10 and I too understand that Microsoft wants things to move along - the problem is that they are FORCING it upon everybody. Microsoft is in such a powerful position, that if they decide they want something done their way, they can do it. THAT is what is being fought against. Until something comes along that takes away the enormous market share of platforms that Microsoft has, it MUST remain an open platform. We don't want the third reich of the software world.

---

This is all getting off topic now.

Looking at this from a different perspective entirely: Unless you're a company that pushes out mobile games faster than a nuns first curry, you have a statistically 0.00004% chance of being succesful anyway, or even making your money back. The chances are that if you ARE one of those companies, you're not using Unreal anyway. Even as a massive Unreal fanboy, I've been working with the engine on mobile-related projects for the last two and a half years, and most of that time has been a miserable uphill slog and isn't an experience I'll recommend to any developer. I'm a huge fanboy and even I'm saying it: If you want to make mobile games, use a toolset designed for it.

Aside from all that my final point is this: If Microsoft wants your game on their stores, they will hack in UWP support for you and you don't need to lift a finger. I know at least two studios that are going to go through that very practice. The engine isn't stopping you from shipping to UWP platforms and Epic doesn't stop you either. It just doesn't support it natively.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Watch me spew 1269 characters of BS
    come on jamsh, i thought u were better than that

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Originally posted by franktech View Post
    Microsoft rethinks the Windows application platform one more time
    Plan to bring most Windows apps to the Store, never mind security
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04...one_more_time/
    Oh, look. M$ actually thought that this is going to be fast and easy. -.-

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Microsoft rethinks the Windows application platform one more time
    Plan to bring most Windows apps to the Store, never mind security
    http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/04...one_more_time/

Leave a comment:

• replied
    That's exactly the kind of BS we don't want. If Microsoft goes in the direction we fear, then that's it - game over for the open windows platform. Epic are fighting it before it becomes the accepted norm.
    You didn't get my point.

First off all. I was talking about mobile, not desktop. Secondly, it is about being a better phone than Android in general. Do you know the difference between Phone 8.1 and Mobile 10? Well, it is a difference of day and night. The UIs, and the functions of the apps themselves are like three times better already.

I could ditch ~3 apps, because now Windows Mobile 10 can do more than Phone 8.1. Windows Mobile ain't like "Linux on desktop". Windows will quite soon start to kick Android's butt. After they fixed some bugs...

And regarding a closed desktop. You think that I would care if Valve had to pay money to be able to put their launcher on the Windows Store? No, I don't care. As a matter of fact. If M$ can do with UWP what I think they could do. And that is to protect apps from other app to access their RAM. Then even online cheaters could be wipe out! So, yeah, Volvo. I'm afraid to save the Master Race yet again, you will have to pay dollars...

Yeah, I know that M$ likes to do weird stuff at times. I heard of the forced Window 7 to Windows 10 updated behind the users back. I understand that a cleansing fire can be vital at times. Though, I can't help but to wonder if this move against Windows 7 wasn't a bit too early. M$ should have waited a bit. Especially since now the free upgrade should have expired. And Windows 10 is going to get more features. So, if people want that new stuff. They would have to BUY Windows 10.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    the mobile market could say goodbye to Android, and Windows 7 user can say hello to their new God! This this is an armageddon (not to be confused with the term apocalypse)!
    That's exactly the kind of BS we don't want. If Microsoft goes in the direction we fear, then that's it - game over for the open windows platform. Epic are fighting it before it becomes the accepted norm.

---

It's not that they can't, they just don't want to at the moment. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ti...IpLS8Afk1oGoDw

They're not going to change political stance on this unless Microsoft makes UWP as open as Win32. As soon as it is, it stands to reason we'd get support for that platform as a priority.

Regardless of what Microsoft *may* or *may not* do with UWP is irrelevant. The point is that currently, Microsoft has the power to abuse UWP if they choose to and in some small cases they're already testing the limit. History has proven that they can't be trusted in these kinds of positions.

If I was any of you, I wouldn't go planning an Unreal game for UWP anytime soon, or writing a business plan that involves it.

---

EDIT: I should add, UWP can be supported by the engine. Get on Microsofts side and they'll help you hack it in. Gears of War by The Coalition is on Win 10, after all - and is a UE3 / UE4 hybrid engine. Frankly however if you ask me, that's Microsoft abusing it right there by circumventing Epics wishes (In a roundabout way).
    Last edited by TheJamsh; 06-21-2016, 12:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    I noticed a few UE4 games at E3 were announced with UWP support.

Leave a comment:

• replied
    It's not that they can't, they just don't want to at the moment.

https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=ti...IpLS8Afk1oGoDw

Leave a comment:

• replied
    Yes, bring support to UWP please. Unity already have it.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X