Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is Windows Phone support planned?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Is Windows Phone support planned?

    Greetings
    Just as the title suggest, I dare to ask if there is any planned support for Windows Phone OS & Windows RT?

    Thanks!

    Best regards,
    Pavel Popovciuc
    Last edited by Pavel Popovciuc; 03-21-2014, 10:37 AM.

  • #2
    they seem to be working on it but that's about all I've been able to find.
    Crystal Flux a Snowboarding Shooter:https://twitter.com/GadzGamz
    Pinball Template:http://www.pinterest.com/gadzgamz/pinball-template/
    Hot Springs Air Hockey: Hot Springs
    Latest release: Bonsai Golf Coral

    Comment


    • #3
      I'm afraid I don't believe this is planned at the moment.
      Lead Programmer - UE4 Animation/Physics/Audio Team - Epic Games
      Twitter: @EpicJamesG

      Comment


      • #4
        We have been doing some work in this direction (implementing various levels of WinRT API support) and we want to have Windows Phone support eventually, but we're a very long way from having a ship-quality implementation.

        Right now our mobile efforts are really focused on iOS and Android based on their huge market sizes. We have a lot of work to do on these platforms before expanding to other mobile platforms such as WP.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by Tim Sweeney View Post
          We have been doing some work in this direction (implementing various levels of WinRT API support) and we want to have Windows Phone support eventually, but we're a very long way from having a ship-quality implementation.

          Right now our mobile efforts are really focused on iOS and Android based on their huge market sizes. We have a lot of work to do on these platforms before expanding to other mobile platforms such as WP.
          Thank you, Tim!
          One more question - do you think the amount of work involved is something that an indie/small team could develop?
          With little guidance from Epic, I would love to get this going as a community project!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Tim Sweeney View Post
            We have been doing some work in this direction (implementing various levels of WinRT API support) and we want to have Windows Phone support eventually, but we're a very long way from having a ship-quality implementation.

            Right now our mobile efforts are really focused on iOS and Android based on their huge market sizes. We have a lot of work to do on these platforms before expanding to other mobile platforms such as WP.
            Great news man! Keep up the good work and we can't thank you enough for what you did to the indie community!!
            Last edited by seenooh; 03-23-2014, 01:55 AM.
            Hamad Al-Hasan
            Gameplay Programmer / Technical Artist
            Portfolio: www.alhasanstudio.com

            Comment


            • #7
              It feels like to get an answer I have to "bump" this topic.

              Comment


              • #8
                I would at least like to see a Windows Modern section for this forum so we can at least start talking about it.
                Crystal Flux a Snowboarding Shooter:https://twitter.com/GadzGamz
                Pinball Template:http://www.pinterest.com/gadzgamz/pinball-template/
                Hot Springs Air Hockey: Hot Springs
                Latest release: Bonsai Golf Coral

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Pavel Popovciuc View Post
                  Thank you, Tim!
                  One more question - do you think the amount of work involved is something that an indie/small team could develop?
                  With little guidance from Epic, I would love to get this going as a community project!
                  I would also be interested in windows phone 8 support and I'm willing to put work into this. I'm currently working on a project that has a windows phone 8 initial requirement and I'm forced to use a different engine while I would rather use UE4 for later releases on other platforms.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Been told that the Windows Phone 8.1 API (just release as a dev preview) is much better and simpler. For instance can create a Universal App which runs on phones and tablets without recompile (8.0 could not do that). Also 8.1 has the interface between C++ and C# simplified. Perhaps it will now be easier for Epic to complete the port ?

                    Sanjit

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      +1 for Windows phone 8/8.1 support. The market is growing for it, and as someone who has had all 3 phone OS it's by far my personal favourite to use. I think epic should lead the way with this not just look at the numbers, obviously plenty of developers WANT windows phone support, chicken and egg stuff here - and the market for games on Windows Phone may be smaller atm but it's also easier to make games stand out to those that want to buy them.

                      So please, Epic, don't forget windows phone. With 8.1 it's evolved into a really cool OS for mobile kinda halfway between android and iOS (simpler, slicker than android but not totally dumbed down) and more people are jumping ship from iOS but don't really want relative 'complexity' of Android.

                      Anyway - yeah what the thread says. Please.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        count me in TOO

                        Originally posted by Sharpfish View Post
                        +1 for Windows phone 8/8.1 support. The market is growing for it, and as someone who has had all 3 phone OS it's by far my personal favourite to use. I think epic should lead the way with this not just look at the numbers, obviously plenty of developers WANT windows phone support, chicken and egg stuff here - and the market for games on Windows Phone may be smaller atm but it's also easier to make games stand out to those that want to buy them.

                        So please, Epic, don't forget windows phone. With 8.1 it's evolved into a really cool OS for mobile kinda halfway between android and iOS (simpler, slicker than android but not totally dumbed down) and more people are jumping ship from iOS but don't really want relative 'complexity' of Android.

                        Anyway - yeah what the thread says. Please.
                        I have a android tablet, and that's enough for me, though I enjoy it size wize . I do not own iOS anything, nor maxosX atm though I"d love to, and its only due to apples' ridiculous pricing, no ty, but I also honestly am not one for the boring old hat by now, 'icon' themes of both devices. That's just my personal take, from the mind of an artist .

                        Aside from loving MetroUI, I love the progressive UI design , and don't miss the 'icon' approach of either android or IOS , one tiny bit really. I had a window phone 7 device, and now with nokia 520 a wp8 device too and I just love it.

                        Seeing that Epic is at least, thinking about this makes me tons more enticed to slap down my money and get cooking.

                        I'm very grateful they gave the community what they did with BLueprints and visual coding, as while coding matters, we can't all be seasoned pro's in it, but we all are here because we desire to make awesome things to wow people with

                        Please count me in, for wp8 support, asap, and I too would love to be in on some form of initial progress in that direction.

                        Good job Epic, please dont' forget about those of us that love our wp8 devices, and as has already been noted, the market share IS increasing, steadily. I dare say, Linux support is growing a lot slower than wp8 is, as Linux market share #'s when I check, are pretty darn slow and still in 1% range. That's not partisan, but something I've seen since I"ve been paying attention, over the last few years.

                        thx
                        nl
                        Solo currently, - looking for a few good devs for work on https://www.gofundme.com/theheartseed

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          I would love unreal engine to support Windows Phone 8.1, Windows 8.1 and Windows RT. Perhaps their looking into that universal app for Windows Phone 8.1 and Windows 8.1.

                          I really enjoy using Windows Phone, Windows 8.1 and RT (Surface 2 which is awesome).

                          Put it great that their thinking about this anyway.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by neighborlee View Post
                            I have a android tablet, and that's enough for me, though I enjoy it size wize . I do not own iOS anything, nor maxosX atm though I"d love to, and its only due to apples' ridiculous pricing, no ty, but I also honestly am not one for the boring old hat by now, 'icon' themes of both devices. That's just my personal take, from the mind of an artist .

                            Aside from loving MetroUI, I love the progressive UI design , and don't miss the 'icon' approach of either android or IOS , one tiny bit really. I had a window phone 7 device, and now with nokia 520 a wp8 device too and I just love it.

                            Seeing that Epic is at least, thinking about this makes me tons more enticed to slap down my money and get cooking.

                            I'm very grateful they gave the community what they did with BLueprints and visual coding, as while coding matters, we can't all be seasoned pro's in it, but we all are here because we desire to make awesome things to wow people with

                            Please count me in, for wp8 support, asap, and I too would love to be in on some form of initial progress in that direction.

                            Good job Epic, please dont' forget about those of us that love our wp8 devices, and as has already been noted, the market share IS increasing, steadily. I dare say, Linux support is growing a lot slower than wp8 is, as Linux market share #'s when I check, are pretty darn slow and still in 1% range. That's not partisan, but something I've seen since I"ve been paying attention, over the last few years.

                            thx
                            nl
                            Yeah I've got an android tablet (Nexus 7) and it's great, but I too much prefer for a phone the Windows Phone OS of my Lumia 920 (which is a gorgeous phone inside/out regardless of people thinking it's too heavy lol.. it isn't btw). And yes I too am bored with esp the iOS layout/look by now.

                            Also maybe it's just me but it feels a bit like Epic turning their back on the core developers and fans of yore who more often than not used windows machines, I know that doesn't strictly correlate to what tablet/phone OS they may use but as WP improved many of us 'windows fans' decided to try it out and I have no complaints as of 2014 (vs a couple years back)
                            Last edited by Sharpfish; 06-04-2014, 04:17 PM.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              I'm here for Windows phone support too..

                              I have some experience with making games for Windows 8 Store apps. So the news that the integration with Unreal Engine is under way is music to my ears.
                              I was however having a think about having a go at the integration myself.

                              There is a one filer App.xaml.cs that exposes the events for Windows store apps and also the initialization point.
                              You may be able to set the initialization point of the Unreal Engine inside the App.xaml.cs. You will then need to replace all DirectX surface initialization to load into the SwapChainPanel component you can add to your own .xaml layout.
                              At this point there may be some issues that need to be ironed out, but the idea is that the SwapChainPanel should offer all the tools that are built into the Unreal Engine (touches wood... wehey).
                              You'll then have to tie in any input events using the App.xaml.cs event assigners which of course could and should be abstracted into the Unreal Engine itself.

                              Considering my goal is to create games for Windows store apps... It could be a great project to start in Github... I will do some of the ground work on my own.

                              NB: I had just only noticed that Unreal Engine 3 supports Windows 8 store apps... How do I get a copy of that?
                              Note to Unreal Engine developers: Is there any way I can help with the Windows app store integration for Unreal? I'd love to be of assistance considering it's all I want out of the Unreal engine!

                              NB: The following game was made using all of DirectX 11's usual API calls and it is pumped into a SwapChainPanel: Windows Store - El Mango
                              Last edited by jimmyt1988; 07-28-2014, 05:57 AM.

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X