No announcement yet.

Is Windows Phone support planned?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The reason is because the install base is very very very small, since they are still working on improving iOS and Android there's no reason for them to spend time on supporting such a small platform when the most important ones aren't where they want them to be yet.

But, I think with Windows 10 they may add Windows mobile support, since it will be easier to take a Windows 10 app and bring it to phones that have Windows 10.

Comment

Originally posted by darthviper107 View Post
      The reason is because the install base is very very very small, since they are still working on improving iOS and Android there's no reason for them to spend time on supporting such a small platform when the most important ones aren't where they want them to be yet.

But, I think with Windows 10 they may add Windows mobile support, since it will be easier to take a Windows 10 app and bring it to phones that have Windows 10.

Windows Phone isn't a small platform. It has a large growing user base. From my point of view, Windows Phone is the best Phone OS and if Microsoft makes its hardware better, it will be the best from the point of view of all people

Comment

No, it's a very small platform, it's 2.5% of the market, which means they're going to work on iOS and Android before doing anything with Windows Phone.

Comment

It's a very small platform at the moment but with Windows 10, I feel it will be quite bigger. I own no Windows devices apart from Windows Technical Preview, but I'd love to have this.

Maybe we could have a forum for it so we can co-ordinate any maybe get the community involved in building for Windows devices?
          KITATUS
          "Information shouldn't be behind a paywall, It should be free for all!"

Comment

Originally posted by Tim Sweeney View Post
            We have been doing some work in this direction (implementing various levels of WinRT API support) and we want to have Windows Phone support eventually, but we're a very long way from having a ship-quality implementation.

Right now our mobile efforts are really focused on iOS and Android based on their huge market sizes. We have a lot of work to do on these platforms before expanding to other mobile platforms such as WP.
            Do you think that it will be easier for you with Windows 10? I would love to see it on WP.

Game Design - Photogrammetry - Programming
            Tutorials · Twitter · Twitch

Comment

I really would like to see support for the Windows Store in general, especially considering the imminent release of Windows 10, and universal apps for both ARM and x86-based processors.

Comment

quote:
                " If it's so important to you, remember that you have source access. You can pay someone to get it working on Windows Phone [SIZE=3]or do it yourself.[/SIZE] "
                Wow. Smiles....:

Comment

Bump, because soon the first wave of Windows Phone 10 upgrades for 8.1 smartphones will start.

Comment

Not happening--since there's not enough interest in Windows Phone itself there's not going to be support added for it specifically, and in case you haven't seen the article here: http://www.theguardian.com/technolog...s-gears-of-war
                    Basically the Universal Windows Platform option isn't going to happen either because of restrictions of UWP apps.

Comment

Basically the Universal Windows Platform option isn't going to happen either because of restrictions of UWP apps.
                      Unity supports UWP, I don't see why UE4 couldn't.

Comment

Did you read the article? Since UE4 already supports Windows and Xbox One, there's little need of UWP and that's besides the issues that Tim Sweeney has with it.

Comment

Did you read the article? Since UE4 already supports Windows and Xbox One, there's little need of UWP and that's besides the issues that Tim Sweeney has with it.
                          No, I didn't really read it. I only read another article that invalidated most of that what Tim said (I was flying over that one too, though).

And Unity had the same. It supported XBox and Windows, and then added UWP. Actually it even supported Windows Phone 8.1 at some point (maybe it still does). I understand that Epic Games ain't all powerful. And that Unity Tech is hell-bent to get their engine on smartphones anyways (so no surprise that they support it). I just felt like asking after 5 month if anything new might have happened.

Comment

If you're interested in their reasoning you should read the article. Mostly it comes down to lack of interest. Just because Unity has it doesn't mean that it's worth the development time to add it.

Comment

If you're interested in their reasoning you should read the article. Mostly it comes down to lack of interest. Just because Unity has it doesn't mean that it's worth the development time to add it.
                              Well, too bad. The thing is that because of lack of time that I have for game deving each day, I may go for one mobile game first. And I don't have an Android or that iPhone thing. Yeah, I can of course just buy some Android from eBay for like 30 Terran Credits, and test with that. But I would hate not being able to play my own game on my own Windows smartphone.

Also, I just had a look at Unity 5 after some long time. And I was like: HOLY **** THAT EDITOR!? The Unity engine is now about 10 years old and the editor still looks like utter amateur. :/

Cool story...

Comment

Regarding Epic's concerns of M$ closing down Windows and ditching Win32, well, I don't see this happening. Because if one bought/upgraded Windows 10 today, one also expects Win32 support for it in the future, especially since there is no alternative to Windows 10. M$ probably would even run into legal problems, and would be forced to make two separated Windows 10. M$ can only ditch Win32 if UWP can serve as an actual replacement, and it could, and M$ should make this happen.

I haven't read all about UWP (So correct me if I'm wrong). But the way I see it, or they way I want UWP to be is this. I want UWP to ditch Win32, or rather those loose .exes on any **** Windows rig in the world. Why?

Because of these problems:

* I don't have one store to find software.
                                I have to use google and other websites to download. E.g., Softpedia e.t.c.. Mind though, that some few apps on the store right now, they can't even be downloaded via the Windows Store itself. You have to use the dev's website. Valve, Blizzard could do this with their launchers, too.

* Installers are ALWAYS trash.
                                They leave behind files and folder, and empty folders plus registry entries, too. So much for "uninstalling". Also, files like save games, configs, are saved in like a million different locations.

* More security against malicious software and online cheaters.
                                An .exe can access data in the RAM. And even most folders and files. This is a huge security hole! If an UWP app could be restricted from being able to do this but still allow to grand specific software like Bandicam, Nvidia Control Panel, e.t.c., access. I think we would need less anti-cheating software or even third party firewalls, anti-virus, etc.. With UWP, the devs are registered with M$. Any malware can be traced back to their creators and the apps can be removed asap. The NSA is gonna like this!

* UWP could kill Captain Jack Sparrow? (Finally)
                                "He is always getting away! Why? Why? We even know their dam IP address and their still take our stuff!"

-- Lord Cutler Beckett (East India Trading Company)

And about the lack of interest. Well, the good games are already gathering on the windows store. Let's see how strong this trend will keep to go on.

I understand that implementations take time. But I also didn't say I wanted a fully functioning support right the hell now. But if Epic Games doesn't start now implementing some experimental features, then when? In 2 years? That would be a bit late. All M$ has to do is to fix a bit more in Windows 10 Mobile, and even the desktop version. Then a Lumia could snap any Andriod neck on the market, and make Android the new Linux (that OS nobody would use even for free). To my opinion, because of the universal design that benefits users and devs, plus the appealing metro UI, I view Windows 10 Mobile as a growing kraken already. It's not a matter of if, but when. M$ needs money since Windows 10 is the last OS. And they don't have to break laws or submit to Big Cat Capitalism. If this kraken gained more size, the mobile market could say goodbye to Android, and Windows 7 user can say hello to their new God!

This this is an armageddon (not to be confused with the term apocalypse)!
                                Last edited by SouldomainTM; 03-30-2016, 10:29 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X