No announcement yet.

Importing text files is unnecessarily hard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, but UE4 is not a text pre-processing tool. You probably have to write some program to read the .txt files, combine the text files, extract the data you want, add deliminators and output a final .csv file for import into UE4. I have done this before in python, it wasn't too hard. I think stackoverflow.com is a better place to solve your problem.

Comment

So you're saying I should write a python program to convert it into two different formats just to avoid writing a plugin that converts it directly into the format I want?

Honestly, you're smothering a reasonable feature request with litigation. It's not welcome.

Comment

Originally posted by Antidamage View Post
        So you're saying I should write a python program to convert it into two different formats just to avoid writing a plugin that converts it directly into the format I want?

Honestly, you're smothering a reasonable feature request with litigation. It's not welcome.
        I'm saying that you should write a python program (more like a 30 line script) in order to combine and convert your .txt files into .csv files if you want to use the data table features in UE4. Even if you were to import a .txt file somehow you couldn't turn that into a data table anyway, you need a data table asset which is created by importing either a .csv or .json file. The blueprint nodes used with data tables use this data table asset type, not text or string or any other input type.

This is different from the original feature request of this thread which was simply support for importing of plaintext files, which has nothing to do with data tables. I suggested the use of data tables because you had text files with some information, which usually means you want to use the information contained in them in some logic/character/item/dialog line setup or whatever. You didn't say what information these files had or what you were intending to use them for so I'm guessing.

I said this because you bumped a two year old thread asking for .txt support, which still hasn't happened, so I doubt it's a priority. Instead you could use a data table "workaround" (read: intended workflow), but you would first need to convert your files if they were separate and not proper syntax. Normally you would create these files in Excel or something and just export as .csv and UE4 would import them fine.

You said my posts weren't welcome, and my response is: who are you to say that? You didn't create this thread, and it looks like you're requesting another feature entirely. I posted this so you and others could find a way to solve your problems by yourselves, which is what I thought you wanted to do. If you don't, you are free to wait for another two years. Do as you wish.

Comment

I feel like this thread is no longer about importing text for use in the editor and more about someone desperate to not be wrong. Let's leave it here and try to learn from this.

Comment

I agree:
            Click image for larger version

Name:	text.gif
Views:	1
Size:	59.0 KB
ID:	1132462

Comment

I'm not sure what you're trying to prove. The text I have won't import into a data table without manipulation and I have an opportunity to do that process in UE which would suit my users a lot. I'm sorry if you feel slighted or whatever but the example in your gif doesn't work for the files I have.

Comment

You can use Rama's Victory plugin or one line of C++ code to import the text asset to a string then do what you're already doing in blueprints for your processing with said string

OR

you can do the processing outside the engine and use the built-in tools the way they're meant to

OR

you can wait an indeterminate amount of time for Epic to do exactly what you're asking them to do which, let's be honest, probably isn't high on the priorities list considering there are other ways to do almost exactly what you're asking.
                Procedural, modular, on-the-fly animation - iTween For UE4
                - Actors - Components - UMG - Ease In - Ease Out - Path-constrained Animation - $0

Runtime Datatable
                -All the fun of DataTables dynamically loaded from text or Google Sheets while your game is running!

Comment

I'm writing it myself. You can thank me later when you buy it on the marketplace and save yourself time and effort.

It's like you guys don't want nice things.

Comment

Working...
                  X